Author Topic: Your furthest summit views?  (Read 14882 times)

Gary

Re: Your furthest summit views?
« Reply #30 on: 14:00:28, 06/03/12 »
Great view from your lounge Gonzo

ShadeWraith

« Reply #31 on: 19:44:27, 06/03/12 »
I've got a few mystery pics from last weekend weather was exceptionally clear when the clouds broke. I was looking south west ish coming off Robinson on Littledale edge and took the first pic, the wind turbines on Morecambe bay are clear enough but there are two snow capped peaks in the distance which Im guessing may be Wales which would be around 90 miles...any informed opinion would be welcome.

Second pic was taken on way up to Hindscarth looking more westward, very blurred as I was on max zoom and the wind made me unsteady, it was much clearer with the naked eye. Im guessing this is the Isle of Man which is around 60 miles away.

fFinally behind the first visible land mass presumably the isle of man was another land mass very indistinct about a third of the way in from the left edge of this photo...I was wondering if this was Ireland which would have been about 150ish miles away.

Whatever they all were they were some distance away and the air clarity was superb :)

Mike

seth

« Reply #32 on: 20:12:00, 06/03/12 »
On a clear day, there is a stupendous view of the Lakeland fells from Elslack Moor - and that isn't even a summit.
I'll second that,its one of my local dog walks.
The views of the dales from there is like a green patchwork carpet.
The furthest i,ve seen is north wales from pendle hill a few years ago, the same day the lakes looked like a stones throw away.

Gonzo

« Reply #33 on: 23:43:59, 06/03/12 »
ShadeWraith, you should look at this http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENGP/ROBINSON.png 
It helped to confirm my views.
Getting high on hills.

ShadeWraith

« Reply #34 on: 12:59:12, 07/03/12 »
Thanks Gonzo, I'll check it out see if I can make sense of what I think I saw :)

Mike

Fellwanderer

« Reply #35 on: 21:47:50, 14/05/12 »
I was driving over the top of the hill above Prestatyn on the North Wales coast about three years ago when I realised it was as clear a day as I ever remember and I've lived round here for over 50 years. I stopped at the viewpoint and very quickly picked out the peaks of Snowdonia, the North East corner of Anglesey, the Cumbrian fells and Blackpool Tower. However, between Anglesey and the Cumbrian fells there were other hills visible on the horizon. Thinking that it would be Snaefell on the Isle of Man I got out my road atlas and lined up the map of the whole UK with the points I knew for sure. Looking along the sightline on the map towards the Isle of Man I found I was looking at the clearest hill on the horizon. Between there and the the Cumbrian hills there were clearly several other hills, after checking and rechecking the only conclusion was that they were the Galloway hills. The highest of these, Merrick, is 135 miles away and I'm only at 200m high!
I know people are going to doubt this but I am a surveyor, a proper one that uses Theodolites etc. I know what I saw and I am happy with my conclusions. There are all sorts of factors to take into account the most significant probably being refraction over the sea.
Proving my conclusion is going to be difficult as duplicating the conditions is not within my power! The clarity that day was truly exceptional, the colour of the Cumbrian fells 75 miles away, was as if they were considerably closer. In all probability it was a once in a lifetime event.

http://http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/explain/atmos_refr/horizon.html

Easter 2009 and The Cheviot was as clear as a bell from the summit of Scafell Pike - 84 miles away.

It'd usually easily visible from my house, 45 miles due south - I'll try to dig out a photo or take one in the next couple of days.
214/214 264/282

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 00:23:58, 17/05/12 »
ShadeWraith, you should look at this http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENGP/ROBINSON.png 
It helped to confirm my views.
what a brilliant site!!!!!!!!!!!!!  O0 O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 04:01:04, 17/05/12 »
I don't have a picture to hand right now but my best summit view so far (granted I can only claim a couple of decent ones) was from Helvellyn, although Pen Y Ghent ran it close.

I did go to America a few years ago and the bus stopped on a road high in the mountains at a place called 'Hundred Mile View'. True, you could see for many miles, but all of it consisted of looking out over vast expanses of tree's, so not much to see really.
« Last Edit: 04:08:43, 17/05/12 by Andy Broadley »
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Gonzo

« Reply #38 on: 20:46:44, 17/05/12 »
That's how much of this little island would look if it wasn't so overpopulated. I'd love to see all grazing stopped on Snowdon to see if it would revert to forest and up to what height.
Getting high on hills.

spotila

« Reply #39 on: 08:58:25, 14/03/20 »
I am a bit of a long-view geek, too! I think some of the longest lines of sight are over the sea from Cumbria - this was taken in November 2010 from Black Combe (extreme SW Lakes) showing Liverpool city centre with (left to right) the RC, Anglican cathedrals, and the commercial towers clearly visible.

That's 60 miles - not bad for a view of a city centre!

On the same day I could clearly see the Carneddau, 80 miles away, but have also seen them from Coniston Old Man in winter, which is more like 90 miles.

Recent sighting of Ben Nevis from Ben Wyvis impressed us a lot, but it's actually only about 60 miles.

Loadsafun!  O0
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time poster
The above quote about the image of Liverpool from Black Combe - it appears the image is no longer available on tinypic, and I cannot find another copy. Did anyone save this, or have any idea how to contact docpaul to see if he can re-upload?
Cheers

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 09:05:19, 14/03/20 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Wow this is a thread back from the dea6. Doc Paul hasn't been on the forum for some time but if you go in to his profile you can send him a personal message.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 11:23:45, 14/03/20 »
On a clear night, we can see the moon from our back bedroom window. That's pretty far.
I would like to say that I can see the sun, but as it is Cornwall, not a chance, so shall make do with the Isles of Scilly.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 11:34:14, 14/03/20 »
I remember getting out of my tent one chilly very clear just after dawn morning on the GR70 (The Stevenson Way) in France and as I looked into the distance all I could see was mountains and ridges and ridges stretching way into the distance. The beauty of it was that as I looked to the far horizon each ridge looked to be a different colour and tops were clear and distinct as if they had been drawn with a pencil, no fuzziness at all. I took some photos but my camera just didn't pick up what my eyes saw. I've experienced some very clear morning views but that one was truly exceptional.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:45:56, 14/03/20 »
Since this is an old thread, I will mention a view from about 25 years ago. A friend and I climbed Ben Wyvis in the winter. It was covered in snow and a very cold, clear day. It must have been -10 or lower. At the summit we could see right across Scotland, including Ben Nevis which is 100km as the crow flies. The sky to the west had a pink tinge the whole day and the remainder was deep blue. Ice formed on the outside of my gloves, sleeves and hat as we climbed. It was a perfect day for a walk in the Highlands.

watershed

« Reply #44 on: 15:34:17, 14/03/20 »
I was Up Ronas Hill again Yesterday and could see sheep Rock on fair Isle. This is a distance of 70 Miles.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy