Author Topic: Is anyone thinking of a winter sun hike?  (Read 2204 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Is anyone thinking of a winter sun hike?
« on: 13:47:24, 04/12/19 »
If you are I can fully recommend Gran Canaria. Land at the airport, catch a bus to Maspalomas at the southern end of the island then walk directly through and up into the centre are until you get to Cruz de Tejeda then fan out in any direction you want then return to the airport by bus. If you have downloaded the Windy app the route is clearly displayed in red, very easy to follow. You only need 5 days to do it.

I've not walked any of the other islands but I'm hiking the GR131 route on La Palma in January 2020, again the Windy app displays the whole route in red. Not sure if I've chosen so well this time? From the start point, the map suggests I have to walk for 16km uphill!

https://www.senderosdelapalma.es/en/footpaths/list-of-footpaths/long-distance-footpaths/gr-131-stage-1/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Is anyone thinking of a winter sun hike?
« Reply #1 on: 20:04:08, 05/12/19 »
I went through my equipment today and I've decided to hike the La Palma Gr131 route with my bivi, I'll be wild camping so I'll leave my tent at home. Only one problem to decide, do I take my Tarp with me in case it rains, or will an umbrella be better? I've never taken an umbrella before, has anyone any experience of using a bivi and a brolly?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:44:33, 05/12/19 »
Nicholas Crane did it from the tip of Spain to Istanbul via all the mountain ranges in between.  https://web.archive.org/web/20070927203403/http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780140243321,00.html
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:38:58, 07/12/19 »
All of the Canary islands offer splendid walking country.  Though when a local tour guide suggest you visit the impressive sand dunes at Mas Palomas, book a ticket to Ainsdale instead, they are far better up t north.  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:06:08, 07/12/19 »
The best view of my intended hike that I have found so far is -

https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=10!28.6365!-17.9498

Once there click on 'Routes' bottom right of the screen, then on 'GR131,' then on 'KLM' and zoom in.

Each time I look at it I think to myself oooh that looks a bit hard? If it too hard for me I'll just have to adapt and make it up as I go along.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:09:46, 07/12/19 »
All of the Canary islands offer splendid walking country.  Though when a local tour guide suggest you visit the impressive sand dunes at Mas Palomas, book a ticket to Ainsdale instead, they are far better up t north.  O0
I think you would get even better dunes at Sands of Forvie, just north of Newburgh. There are no crowds on the beach, good walks and wildlife. The Ythan estuary has large numbers of Eider ducks and the occasional King Eider. There are plenty of seals around with up to 1,000 grey and harbour seals that are best viewed from Newburgh beach on the southern bank of the Ythan. There is the added advantage of the trip being “abroad” for those of you who live south of the border.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:20:03, 07/12/19 »
You have a great poncho, consider using that. It is multipurpose. Makes tarp to sleep under and doubles as your rainy day backup.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:50:24, 07/12/19 »
Thanks, JimBob I hadn't thought of that, I'm just off for a stroll, great to have something worthwhile to mull over.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:32:43, 10/12/19 »
Yes, I’m planning to get away in either January or a February for some warm Winter walking sunshine O0
Haven’t quite decided where I’ll be heading yet though!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:52:49, 10/12/19 »

I've decided to get organised for my La Palma trip well in advance of my flight date. I plan to wild camp and bivi the route but now I have a dilemma. I want to travel minimalist as possible and carry the least amount of 'stuff' and weight that I can. From reading about my planned route I will have to carry maximum water and maximum food as well as no shops en-route. So as a starting point I’m going to use my old Golight Jam rucksack as I can roll it up small, strap it down and carry it on the plane as hand luggage.

My problem is, which bivi shall I take with me? I have a Snugpack Stratosphere which I've used a few times and I also have an Alpkit Hunker bivi which I have only used twice since the day I bought it about 5 years ago. In my head, I want to take the Alpkit Hunker as it will fold down to a small size and is lightweight, plus I could take my Alpkit 3.5 tarp (in case it rains) with me as well. Or my Vaude Poncho instead? Added together they still weigh less and will fold smaller than the Stratosphere.

I really like this bit of the planning process prior to a hike, going through all the options that are possible or not possible. For example, when I've used the Stratoshere I have my inflatable mattress inside the bivi but I found I was more comfortable when in the Hunker to lay on top of my mattress. Of course, the reason why I have these 'options' is that over the years I've bought 'this and that,' of which some have proved to be useful, whilst others have just gathered dust in my garage. I confess and know that I’ve bought too many bits and pieces over the years and many of them now fit into the category of 'seemed a good idea at the time!'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy