Author Topic: Zermatt and Hornlihutte  (Read 1327 times)

myxpyr

Zermatt and Hornlihutte
« on: 13:59:42, 27/02/20 »
Next year I'm hoping to return to complete the Tour du Mont Blanc after which I'm planning to make my way to Zermatt for a closer look at the Matterhorn.

One idea is to walk from Zermatt to the Hornlihutte possibly with an(expensive) overnight stay. Has anyone walked up to the Hornlihutte? From videos on Youtube it looks straightforward but I'm just wondering how long it takes.

Any info appreciated :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Zermatt and Hornlihutte
« Reply #1 on: 18:13:18, 27/02/20 »
Sorry I don't know that name but have you considered the 'Haute Route' from Chamonix to Zermatt? That takes in part of the Tour du Mont Blanc, if you follow the route clockwise from Chamonix when you get to Champex you just turn left to Zermatt. I have the Cicerone book downloaded on my Kindle phone app. You can have it if you want but I don't know if thats possible, or how to download it from one phone to another?

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 19:19:40, 27/02/20 »
Sorry I don't know that name
The Hornli Hut is at the foot of the Hornli Ridge on the Matterhorn

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:06:40, 27/02/20 »
The walk up to the hut is no great problem providing you take your time. The Zurmatt guides at one time had a racket going. They would book two groups per day, one am and the other pm. The am group having paid for the round trip would be beastied up to the hut. By the time they got to the hut they were too knackered to continue. The guide would then run back for the pm group. I've no idea whether this still goes on.

I'm not certain whether the hut is open, it was closed for refurbishment last year. Best check before you go. It always got booked up way I'm advance anyway. All Alpine huts are online these day, try Googling them.

Are you thinking of trying the Hornli ridge?

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:16:15, 27/02/20 »
Should also add, the walk in is only hard because you're walking uphill at altitude with a weight on your back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy