Author Topic: Looking ahead to the day when we can hike and camp again.  (Read 3117 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Looking ahead to the day when we can hike and camp again.
« Reply #15 on: 21:43:05, 16/06/20 »
Interesting link below

https://www.pitchup.com/covid-camping/

Northern Ireland can open campsites on 26 June
Hate will never win

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:44:06, 16/06/20 »
Would there be any demand for doing outside catering for parties and so on? I can think of a dozen birthday parties which have been cancelled at indoor events, but many are looking to get in outside caterers during the summer months to make the most of the outdoor spaces.
Two things, weather, and it is not the same.
Hard to charge £50 a head, plus £25 for a bottle of plonk and then ask customers to sit in a draughty, damp, noisy tent.
Or if the sun comes out, a very hot, stuffy, humid tent.

I know a place where they are thinking of doing this, be interesting to see how they get on.  One pub in the village has closed, the other 2 and a bar are thinking of sharing a marquee somewhere in the village, but not sure where.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:45:48, 17/06/20 »
I prefer wet wipes to hand gels, never soap!

No I don't expect we will get a green light to go wild camping but we have never really had one to start with, in England anyway, Dartmoor aside.

If campsites and second home get the green light here in England, then I will take that as a nod to do some discreet wild camping.

Here's hoping!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:05:20, 17/06/20 »
I’m also eagerly awaiting the next lockdown update in anticipation of the overnight stays restriction being lifted  :) 

You watch, they’ll lift it but restrict it to “local” only!   ;D     >:(

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:04:37, 17/06/20 »
Hope not Mel.  Have cancelled two long weekend trips to the Lakes, and a week in the Alps (meant to be going tomorrow) already.  Thinking of renting somewhere for the week of the 4 July and really hoping it's going to be a goer.

Warbler

« Reply #20 on: 14:48:42, 17/06/20 »
I received an email two days ago from a camp site in the South Downs that I'd booked and stayed at last year.

Hurrah! We are now taking bookings again!

We are delighted to tell you, we are now open for campers from 1st July, after the COVID shut down has been lifted.

We also delighte to tell you all our HOOK UP is not back, we have power now both ends of our main field, however is it on a first come first served bases.
We will be operating on a reduced numbers admission, so our campers have more room, for social distancing. The showers and toilets will be operated on a one in one out bases, unless parents need to be with their children.

* To the grammar/spelling police out there, this is copied and pasted from the email  ;). All over the place, innit!!

Deketh

« Reply #21 on: 15:57:49, 17/06/20 »
July 4th seems a common date floating around for campsites and similar to reopen, if that happens then it must elimate the current advice/legislation that precludes overnight stays in general. So to me, that says that wild camping is permitted! A few posters have said that we won't get an explicit go ahead as it is a bit niche, so that'll be my go ahead. I mean, if everyone else is allowed their hotels, 2nd homes, campsites, then surely I can chill on my own in the middle of nowhere!

Dartmoor is my local spot so I guess it also depends on them, they may decide to continue saying no camping even then. Perhaps an approach of limiting groups or similar - but then there's a huge number of people that just won't pay attention to that and ruin it for everyone, we've seen that sort of thing already with the messes people are leaving behind. Kills me

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:52:58, 17/06/20 »

Now I have watched League of Gentlemen, "Are you a local?" springs to mind  ;D

I think most places will want us all to visit and spend lots of money in their shops now that they are starting to open, likewise when accommodation is available to book again.
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 13:53:16, 18/06/20 »
Definitely, all they (the businesses) are waiting for is the nod from the powers that be.

The "they" I was referring to before is the government (realised what I wrote doesn't quite read like that)  :-[

Vincent82

« Reply #24 on: 14:58:27, 18/06/20 »
I’m also eagerly awaiting the next lockdown update in anticipation of the overnight stays restriction being lifted  :) 

It wouldn't make sense to open hotels then. Hopefully it will be fine

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:17:53, 18/06/20 »
We had an update in Scotland today, things relaxing a bit, but nothing like as much as England.  Middle of July being flagged up for opening up tourism, but without firm commitments. It may turn out that this doesn't include the islands, as social distancing is difficult on ferries. This means they won't be able to take many passengers, and we are getting desperate to get off!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy