Author Topic: Rucksack Chest Packs  (Read 1810 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Rucksack Chest Packs
« on: 18:22:17, 30/10/19 »
A few years ago I purchased an OMM rucksack chest pack wich just hooked to my shoulder pads. I used it a lot but its weakness for me was that it was not waterproof and the capacity was too big, (4L) I wanted something a bit smaller but at the time that was their only model. Eventually, I started to leave it at home and never used it again. Does anyone on the forum use one?

I saw some hikers in Italy a while ago with clip-on/off small packs (they looked about 1-2L capacity) attached to both shoulder straps a while ago but I've never seen anything like this in the UK. The nearest I've seen to the design are those running 'waistcoat pockets' that some running shops sell.

Rajboy

Re: Rucksack Chest Packs
« Reply #1 on: 19:43:39, 30/10/19 »
Check out Paul at Tread Lite gear.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:14:06, 30/10/19 »
A few years ago I purchased an OMM rucksack chest pack wich just hooked to my shoulder pads.

I think you refer to the OMM Trio, a 4l pouch fixed on the backpack straps with two additional hooks to attach round the back to whatever points you could find. I had one and did a brief review of it on the site, I used it to carry a DSLR with zoom lens.
A few years ago I abandoned the whole idea of a big DSLR and the Trio became redundant, instead I carry a super-compact camera in my hipbelt pocket. I might consider a smaller pouch for a slightly larger camera if only there was a way to secure it to almost any backpack shoulder straps in a way that would hold it very firmly. Most add-on pouches jiggle about to some extent which would drive me nuts.

Tread Lite looks interesting.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:16:00, 30/10/19 »
I use the OMM, I use it a lot. Maps, snacks, spare phone, medicines etc.
I dipped mine in Fabsil Gold so mine is definitely waterproof.
But on rainy days it goes under the poncho anyway.

There is a New Zealand company makes shoulder strap type bagsAs do Zpacks.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:25:32, 30/10/19 »
I use a travel document wallet to keep my camera and GPS phone and some boiled sweets in (I didn't pay that price for it though).  It has belt loops on the back and I just slot my rucksack waistband through them.  No reason why you couldn't slip the rucksack chest strap through instead.  I can confirm it is waterproof.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:11:13, 30/10/19 »

A few years ago I abandoned the whole idea of a big DSLR and the Trio became redundant, instead I carry a super-compact camera in my hipbelt pocket. I might consider a smaller pouch for a slightly larger camera if only there was a way to secure it to almost any backpack shoulder straps in a way that would hold it very firmly. Most add-on pouches jiggle about to some extent which would drive me nuts.

Tread Lite looks interesting.

Have you looked at these type of arrangements

http://www.bgrip.com/uno-en/

they work quite well but don't offer any weather protection to your camera.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:55:24, 31/10/19 »
Have you looked at these type of arrangements
http://www.bgrip.com/uno-en/
they work quite well but don't offer any weather protection to your camera.

Now that's a well engineered solution. Using the threaded socket as a mount puts the camera's height dimension sticking out from the body, but well worth considering.
Their UK suppliers CameraClean have more interesting accessory gear that's well worth a browse.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:10:17, 31/10/19 »
Now that's a well engineered solution. Using the threaded socket as a mount puts the camera's height dimension sticking out from the body, but well worth considering.
Their UK suppliers CameraClean have more interesting accessory gear that's well worth a browse.
There are a number of similar devices available at a wide range of prices. I would be making sure that I had some kind of safety tether independently attached to the camera, especially if the device was cheap. You also need to remember that the threaded socket is designed to attach your camera to a tripod and not necessarily to support the full weight of you camera and lens. On lower spec models the threaded socket may just be in a plastic mount.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:06:44, 31/10/19 »
You also need to remember that the threaded socket is designed to attach your camera to a tripod and not necessarily to support the full weight of you camera and lens. On lower spec models the threaded socket may just be in a plastic mount.

Good point, and when combined with the lack of any protection, I think I'll continue researching conventional strap pouches, when and if I decide a slightly larger camera body is worth the effort compared to a super-compact in the hipbelt pocket.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy