Author Topic: Elidir Fawr to Y Garn  (Read 3235 times)

harry_keogh

Elidir Fawr to Y Garn
« on: 19:21:53, 13/11/19 »
I've been trying to catch up with my backlog of walks to write up... This one was done as a warm up to the Welsh 3000s (which I went on to fail) on a lovely sunny day. It was also the first time I'd actually dropped down to Marchlyn Mawr reservoir too which was nice.

Full trip report on my site: Elidir Fawr to Y Garn

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Elidir Fawr to Y Garn
« Reply #1 on: 04:58:11, 14/11/19 »
Excellent photos etc O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:04:49, 14/11/19 »
Even though the distance from Elidir to Yr Garn, is not that great, it still amazes me how long it takes.
Most of the terrain allows for fairly quick walking, but its still a long way.

Its the view of Elidir Fawr from Foel Grach that i find compelling, it looks like a complete pyramid in shape, but when you consider half the mountain has been destroyed for the Dinorwic Hydro power complex, theres not much of the mountain left.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:05, 14/11/19 »
Its the view of Elidir Fawr from Foel Grach that i find compelling, it looks like a complete pyramid in shape, but when you consider half the mountain has been destroyed for the Dinorwic Hydro power complex, theres not much of the mountain left.

You mean this half? It's not a pretty sight, is it. The power station entrance is in the lower left corner.
Photo taken from my tent pitch in September 2017.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:54:50, 14/11/19 »
That slate mine has been there since Queen Victoria ruled over the Empire, long before they built the power station. They actually tided it up a lot during the building.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:08:02, 14/11/19 »
Nice write up and pics  O0

New-look website's looking good too  :)

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:07:37, 15/11/19 »
Every time I see that side of Elidir Fawr, I'm amazed and a little humbled by the toil and effort that went in to mining it. I've walked through it a few times (sometimes sneaky off- piste) and it's little short of astonishing to behold.

Dinorwig by Ian Hart, on Flickr

Anyway..back to the thread

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:13:05, 16/11/19 »
That slate mine has been there since Queen Victoria ruled over the Empire, long before they built the power station. They actually tided it up a lot during the building.

Correct. The power station works are all but invisible from the Llanberis side.

Marchlyn Mawr looks very artificial from above, though
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:14:18, 16/11/19 »
Every time I see that side of Elidir Fawr, I'm amazed and a little humbled by the toil and effort that went in to mining it. I've walked through it a few times (sometimes sneaky off- piste) and it's little short of astonishing to behold.

Anyway..back to the thread

I do like to poke around old quarries and mines - add interest to a walk.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:15:08, 16/11/19 »
Lovely shot of the Ogwen Valley from above, Harry.

And I like the style of your website.

harry_keogh

« Reply #10 on: 20:48:36, 17/11/19 »
Nice write up and pics  O0

New-look website's looking good too  :)
Thankyou - Still have a ton of work to do on it but it's difficult finding the time. I'm struggling to find time even to write up my walks without all the additional development. One of the things I'd really like to change is the starting location bit in the stats. It's a bit pointless at the moment - it would probably be more useful if it showed the actual GPS coordinates. I'd also like it to show a little pop up map when you click on it.
Apart from that, I spent a lot of time gathering data for trigs, summits, NCA's, and national parks, and also spent a lot of time learning how to use all the information... my intention was to be able to dynamically show stats such as top 10 highest summits when clicking on an area, or showing nearby summits, trigs when viewing a hill. A nicely layed out searchable database would be good too. When I'll actually have time to do all this.... who knows! Probably never.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:11:27, 17/11/19 »
Great report and pics  O0
The website is really fine, it's good to see the photos captioned so that we know what we're looking at - many online albums are not.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy