Author Topic: Tryfan  (Read 2217 times)

dinger

Tryfan
« on: 21:25:15, 13/11/17 »

After doing the nearby peaks solo 2 of us decided to do Tryfan going up north ridge and decending south.
Ive been putting it off for a while it looks so intimidating and how right I was it certainly not one to venture out in mist especially descending . Its certainly one I don't think I will do again but glad I did it the once.
Its just not worth taking the risk.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Re: Tryfan
« Reply #1 on: 18:34:41, 15/11/17 »
My eldest and I chickened out of adding Tryfan to our Glyderau walk in August - late on a long day it looked too daunting. But I do want to try it sometime - what was it that made you say never again?

dinger

« Reply #2 on: 20:44:17, 15/11/17 »

Personally its just the north ridge route, I do like a challenge but some scrambles aint worth the risk, especially wet weather. One or two rock choices we took could have been fatal If we slipped.
Now some on here may have done it many of times and say they found easy routes up but the paths come and go , now I think the heather terrace path is a easier route.
I favour the lakes anyway less rugged then Snowdonia.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:53:24, 15/11/17 »
Personally its just the north ridge route, I do like a challenge but some scrambles aint worth the risk, especially wet weather. One or two rock choices we took could have been fatal If we slipped.
Now some on here may have done it many of times and say they found easy routes up but the paths come and go , now I think the heather terrace path is a easier route.
I favour the lakes anyway less rugged then Snowdonia.

It does sound quite hairy. I have a soft spot for Snowdonia as it was my first taste of mountains on a primary school trip years ago.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:20:05, 15/11/17 »
I found climbing from the South hairy enough.. :-[

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:52:09, 16/11/17 »
I climbed Tryfan from the south earlier this year, which was my first and (so far) only time.

I quite enjoyed the ascent and I thought I'd made enough mental notes to easily retrace my route back down to Bwlch Tryfan. I still managed to go off-course descending on all the boulders and ended up going partly back up again to correct myself.

I'd like to do it again and will do, especially as the summit was very busy with other walkers and a large group of secondary school students with their teachers, which meant I went back down almost immediately. I'd like to hang around up there a bit longer and savour the (hopefully quieter) moment next time.

Having looked at the north ridge online, it's not something I'd attempt alone with my current skill level. I'd only do it with someone already familiar with the mountain.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:20:11, 16/11/17 »
Its best to tackle Tryfans North ridge, in fine settled weather, as the exposure can be very intimidating, and its very easy to stray onto dangerous ground without realising it.
Thousands of walkers attempt it every year, but that does not make it any safer, it requires a head for heights, and good navigational skills.
Five people have sadly lost their lives on it this year alone, it commands respect.

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 18:29:07, 16/11/17 »
We headed up north ridge which you come to a path junction one left to heather terrace and right north terrace. If I remember theres a little scramble which a small tree sticks out which felt a bit dodgy , I'm sure someone on here will know which it is.

runsimonrun

« Reply #8 on: 18:56:12, 13/12/17 »
I have descending the south side can be quite hairy too, you always seem to forget about that with the main focus on getting up the north ridge.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:07:05, 13/12/17 »
The north ridge is a great scramble. But i would never take anyone up that route
you have 1 life live it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy