Author Topic: TR Wild camp on Seatoller Fell Sat 1 to Sun 2 Jun 19  (Read 2000 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We set off from Seatoller on Saturday to do Base Brown. The weather wasn't bad although the cloud was covering the higher tops. It was dry with light winds but cloudy and no sunshine.

On the way to the start of the climb up by Sourmilk Gill

The waterfalls were looking full on the way up

It was difficult on the scrambly bits with our camping gear in our packs and Squeaky had to be lifted up a few of the scrambles.

The top waterfall

Sadly the weather got worse when we reached the wall and it started raining and the clag descended. We decided to sack Base Brown, there would be no point in the clag. We'd camped on Seatoller Fell before so we crossed the gill and followed the wall to below Raven Crag then we followed it right in a northerly direction for a while. We had good fun scrambling over a few boulders  ::) that were in the way before we left the wall to gain the ridge from Grey Knott's that leads to Seatoller Fell.

Base Brown in the clag

I didn't take any more photos until we had pitched the tent. We pitched in the same place as last time on a grass shelf sheltered from the wind. We weren't too wet although we had walked for two hours in the rain.

The rain eventually stopped and I nipped out the tent to take some photos.

The MSR on Seatoller Fell

Toward Honister Crag

The sun would be going down over there somewhere. We doubted we would see it. It was still cloudy but there were a few breaks in the cloud now and then.

The sun on Glaramara

Rosthwaite Fell

We'd camped there last Saturday. We must stop coming to Borrowdale, it is too wet  ;D

The cloud lifted off the higher fells

The sunset view

Not that good as the sun dipped down into cloud. Never mind it was a nice camp although not where we had planned to pitch. We hadn't walked far 6.4km with 430m ascent but if felt longer than that with the steep route up Sourmilk Gill and the boulder clambering near Raven Crag.

It rained overnight and it was stop start on our walk down to Seatoller in the morning.

Hause Gill in spate

On the road to Seatoller

My dodgy left knee had seized up and walking was difficult  :'( I was pleased it was raining and miserable, I couldn't have done a longer walk.

We got the bus into Keswick and we went into Mrs F's for tea and cake. I had the delicious vegan chocolate cake and Beefy had the non vegan chocolate fudge cake. I was a bit out of sorts and distracted with thinking about my knee and I managed to drop the teapot lid and it smashed on the floor. I was mortified  :-[ The staff were really nice about it. When I was picking up the broken pieces I knocked the sugar bowl off another table but thankfully this didn't break. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.  :-[
I asked if I could have a plastic cup and plastic teapot when I came in next time. They must have been thinking, please, don't come back  ;D

We took Squeaky into Fitz Park so she could have a run about and chase some sticks then we walked down to the bird hide in Hope Park to fill in the time before our bus home at 13.20. The route down to Seatoller was 2.4km and the walks around the parks was 5km.

I have fluid build up around the knee again and it is very stiff and painful and I can't bend it properly. I have now got a knee bandage thing on and I will be resting my knee this weekend, we are off to Newcastle on Saturday for a family birthday. We are still going to do some walking albeit low level easy ones; looks like it will be raining again!
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Wild camp on Seatoller Fell Sat 1 to Sun 2 Jun 19
« Reply #1 on: 19:41:43, 04/06/19 »
Nice pics and write up Ape O0
Was a bit tricky at times scrambling on wet rocks with Squeaky, :o
The rain may have changed our plans, but we still had a great camp out,
Hope your knee gets better soon for the next WC  8)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:56:44, 04/06/19 »
Well done to you both for having a decent expedition despite the clag & painful knee.
That sounds horrendous and hope it responds to the rest.
You know what to do ? I think it was Ridge who suggested easing your weight carrying by off-loading some gear into beefy's rucksack   ;D
It's the least a gallant chap could do.

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:53:34, 04/06/19 »
Good pitch again, it was worth it for the light and cloud patterns in that sunset sky.  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:00:53, 05/06/19 »
Love the sunset view, with the fells silhouetted against the dramatic sky   :)

Hope your knee is better soon

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:19:04, 05/06/19 »
I enjoyed reading this last night before bed.  Hope your knee feels better soon - have you been to docs about it?

The semi-sunless sunset pic is my fave  :)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:58:48, 06/06/19 »
Thanks beefy  :)

@ IM, beefy already carries a lot more weight than me, even without his camera/tripod gear  ;D

@ vghikers, it was worth it for the few hours of dry bright weather we got, sipping our wine and looking out the tent  O0

Thanks Mel and Dovegirl  O0

I haven't been to the docs yet, I will wait and see how it goes over the next few weeks. The swelling has gone down a bit since I started using the knee bandage. I'm hoping it will get better and not come back again  :)
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:16:10, 06/06/19 »
Geordie lass smashes up cafe.....................you sure you weren't a bit tipsy?  ;D
Then again, might be beefys influence, he's enough to wind anybody up  :2funny:
At least you got out n aboot.   :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:20:40, 06/06/19 »
Geordie lass smashes up cafe.....................you sure you weren't a bit tipsy?  ;D

;D No not drunk and not beefy's fault either  :)

Ah, he offered to take the blame and tell them it was him who did it  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:46:41, 06/06/19 »

Sorry to hear that your knee is still playing up, April - maybe a rest will do it good. Those strap on support bandages do help, in my experience.

We'd camped there last Saturday. We must stop coming to Borrowdale, it is too wet  ;D

Well it is the wettest place in England - what do you expect?  :D Some nice photos, nonetheless.

I suffered terrible embarrassment in a small shop in the French Pyrenees many years ago -I managed to knock a bottle of beer off a shelf - this of course smashed and went all over the floor. My embarrassment was heightened by the fact that I couldn't say 'Sorry' in French, and was not helped by my wife being in hysterics about my predicament! One of those occasions when I really did wish that the ground would open up and swallow me.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:49:09, 06/06/19 »
Lovely photos April. Shame about the weather, how many times does it turn out nice in the evening having P'ed down all day.

Hope your knee calms down.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:29:37, 07/06/19 »
Thanks Richard and Ridge  :)

My knee does feel much better but it isn't 100%. I'm not going to do too much walking this weekend and I hope it will be ok for next weekend   :)
Hate will never win

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:43:12, 07/06/19 »
Interesting TR, April. I enjoy the fact that you go off the beaten track and help me discover places (on the map) that I would otherwise not notice.

Hope the knee gets better soon. Injuries are just the pits.

Any walking plans this weekend? Plenty of rain about for the next few hours 😩

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:24:36, 08/06/19 »
Thanks Sarah

We did walk today from Heddon on the Wall to Newburn. It did rain  ;D

Not sure what my knee will feel like tomorrow  :-\
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member