Author Topic: Picos de Europa in September 2011  (Read 7078 times)

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
Picos de Europa in September 2011
« on: 23:18:31, 27/10/10 »
Last year (September 2009) I went with 4 friends to the Picos de Europa in Northern Spain and we had a fantastic week there in the mountains (okay, we had one day on the beach as well  8) ).

Intention is to go again next year, from Saturday 10th September to Saturday 24th. There are already 6 people interested (including a couple of WF'ers) but if anyone fancies coming along for either one week or two then stick yer name below (or PM me) and I'll sort out some details to post up with regard to more info on travel, accomodation and walks. As a guide the week (last September) came out at just under £200 for the flights, accomodation (self catering in a house with character and in a village with even more character) and 7 seater car. Petrol, food and 'extras' added about another £100.

The weather was good too and we enjoyed unbroken sunshine for a week in temperatures between 22C and 26C. A fortnight before we paid a visit, lakedistrictlady was there and the temps were around the 28C mark. The week inbetween there were snowfalls on the higher routes.

I did write a report on the walks and events last year and will post that below.

I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
Re: Picos de Europa in September 2011
« Reply #1 on: 23:24:05, 27/10/10 »
As promised, the report from last year:-

Saturday 19th to Saturday 26th Sep[tember.

Well, at last One F’s foreign trip was all ready to go. Only five people on the trip – you really missed a fantastic week – 4 lovely ladies and a rather lucky (and permanently smiling) One F. The ladies were: (from the Forum) Snowdon Lady and Elljay – and not from the Forum, but given honorary Forum names, The Spectator (and no, nothing to do with voyeurism – at least I don’t think so ) and The Lady of The Lake.

All met up at Stansted on Saturday lunchtime to catch the 3pm flight to Santander.

Saturday night at Posada Marina in Suances, with an ‘evening meal’, at Cafe Duo.

Sunday – we had a look at the headland above Suances and the Los Locos surfing beach. Then it was off to Santillana del Mar and a walk around the 12th century village. Next stop, Comillas with the Gaudi house, El Capricho and next door was the house/palace of the Marquis of Comillas. Then off to the Picos via Panes and drive through the very narrow Desfiladero de la Hermida. Stopped off at the 9th century church Santa Maria de Lebana. House was at Castro Cillorigo and the access was a bit eventful to say the least – almost took the barn roof off one morning.

Monday – off to Puente Poncebos in Asturias for the Garganta del Cares, the Cares gorge walk, to Cain and back. 13 miles and approx. 350 metres of ascent. (sorry to be confusing with both metric and imperial measures, but I’m a man .....). Hot sun and a lovely blue sky, lots of wildlife – two snakes (near to Cain), lizards, butterflies (especially the blue and the yellowy gold ones), vultures, goats, hairy caterpillars and some beautiful flowers. SL and TS set a furious pace on the return to Puente Poncebos – nothing to do with the fit and tanned young hombres in front of us though. Later they slowed to a snails pace – nothing to do with the stripped to the waist hombres going the other way though. Women – such fickle creatures.

Tuesday – Misty start but the forecast was good. Drove through Potes and on to Fuente De for the teleferico up to El Cable – by now the sky had cleared and the sun was shining. Fantastic views from El Cable. Set off on the track to Horcadine de Covarrobres (the col looking down to Refugio de Aliva), then on to La Vueltona, with the lagoons of Lloroza down to our left – although only one of them had any water in, apparently not unusual at this time of the year. A steady climb up and then a slight detour for SL, TS and TLOTL, up to the refuge of Cabana Veronica (cottage of Veronica) at 2325m high. Back down to the main path to meet yours truly and then up to the col at Horcados Rojos at 2344m. A steep climb then up to the summit of Torre de Los Horcados Rojos at 2506m high. Some banks of snow (remnants of the snow from the previous Friday) above 2200m and care was needed on the higher paths and the ascent/descent up and down from the summit. Fabulous views all around the Picos and beyond. Return to El Cable the same way. Approx. 9 miles and 708 metres of ascent.

Wednesday - Beautiful morning again. Off to St Vicente de la Barquera for a rest day by the sea. What a fantastic beach!! And the weather just couldn’t have been better. Steady walk on the beach for about 1km and back – lovely in the cool Cantabrian sea.

Thursday – Blue sky and hot sun yet again. Steady drive down the Desfiladero de la Hermida to Urdon and the long slog up the zig-zags to Tresviso (and back). Very hot day and it was hard work climbing the 825 metres on the continual ascent to the ‘shangri la’ that is Tresviso. Four workmen clearing the path of a scree fall, somewhere above Balcon de La Pilatos – must have been hard work in the hot sun. Watched some of the Griffon vultures in that area and later on, while cooling our feet in the Rio Deva, a couple of dippers appeared nearby. Approx. 8.5 miles.

Friday –Another cracking morning to greet us. Off to Espinama today. Parked up by the side of the road and took the path towards Pido and then up through the beech woods to the barn at Fuenfria. Lovely start to the day and a change from some of the landscapes seen earlier in the week. Dropped down to Fuente De and once again took the teleferico to El Cable. Pleasant coffee stop at the lookout with Griffon vultures circling close by. Steady climb up to the col at Horcadine de Covarrobres before dropping down the track , past Chalet Real (the former hunting lodge of the royal family) and then to Refugio de Aliva for another refreshment break. From the Refugio (more like a luxury hotel than a mountaineering hut) we dropped down to the small, and very remote, church of Santuca de Aliva for yet another ‘tea’ break. TLOTL fed and watered the Mastin sheepdog here – a friend for life, although I wouldn’t have wanted to get too close, not with those long sharp spikes (to combat wolves) sticking out from its collar. Long trek down to Espinama now, through Las Portillas (‘gates’) de Aliva and then past the pantiled barns at Invernales de Iguedre. Last drinks stop at the bar in the village square at Espinama. Approx. 10 miles and 400 metres of ascent, but with over 1100 metres of descent – ooh mi knees.

Saturday – sun shining again but, ah, the last day Off to Ruiloba only to find the pottery shut!! Next stop El Sardinero, the resort area of Santander – lovely beaches and a walk through the park by the old palace. Back to the airport and the flight home to the UK.

I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:59:35, 28/10/10 »
It sounds fantastic OneF.   Your party will be Dibless however.... but I'll think of you whilst I'm working.   O0

One day....
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:20:35, 31/10/10 »
A few photos to whet the appetite  :)

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:55:04, 01/11/10 »
Nice pics, OneF!

We went to the Picos for a week last September, and had an excellent time! It's a little-known, underrated gem of an area with - as can be seen from your pics - some real, proper mountains.  O0

We stayed in Arenas de Cabrales, not too far from Puente Poncebos and the amazing Cares Gorge, which we also walked to Cain and back. Our other walks were also in that locale, so we didn't get to the coast or to the cable car at Fuente De. Even so, there were some great walks and spectacular scenery, dominated by the iconic pillar of Naranjo de Bulnes.

My avatar picture is of the main ridge of the Central (I think) Picos from Pena de Main.  :) 

I would love to go back one day - whether next year is possible, I don't know yet.  But I will bear it in mind.

pottermuss

« Reply #5 on: 12:47:50, 01/11/10 »
Excellent photos, looks brilliant, would love to do that.

Pottermuss

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:53:39, 01/11/10 »
Nice pics, OneF!

We went to the Picos for a week last September, and had an excellent time! It's a little-known, underrated gem of an area with - as can be seen from your pics - some real, proper mountains.  O0

We stayed in Arenas de Cabrales, not too far from Puente Poncebos and the amazing Cares Gorge, which we also walked to Cain and back. Our other walks were also in that locale, so we didn't get to the coast or to the cable car at Fuente De. Even so, there were some great walks and spectacular scenery, dominated by the iconic pillar of Naranjo de Bulnes.

My avatar picture is of the main ridge of the Central (I think) Picos from Pena de Main.  :) 

I would love to go back one day - whether next year is possible, I don't know yet.  But I will bear it in mind.

Glad you enjoyed the Picos, I love it out there. The first two photos above are of the Cares Gorge - a wonderful walk. There are some great areas to explore in the area, including Parque natural Saja- Besaya and around Vega de Pas (home of the Pasiegos), both to the East of the Picos. But no doubt, for me, that the Picos are the jewel in the crown of the Cordillera. It would be good if you could make it next year.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:16:24, 18/11/10 »
I thought those of you interested in going to the Picos might like to know that Collett's Mountain Holidays will have a base in Potes next year - their new brochure arrived today. Up to now they have concentrated on the Dolomites and one place in the Spanish Pyrenees. Also new, they are offering sport climbing as well as via ferrata. I'd better add that I have no connection other than one holiday with them!

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:20:36, 31/12/10 »

A bit of info on the proposed Picos trip in September 2011.

Accomodation – still need confirmation on who is going so to ensure being able to book somewhere decent would ask for a definite answer by mid January (along with deposit which I'll confirm later). At the moment there are 5 definites so I have looked at self catering accommodation for up to 8 people with, imho,  http://www.casas.co.uk/holidayaccommodation_details.php?id=171 being just right. If more than 8 people decide to join in then there is a smaller property (sleeps3) in the same village  http://www.casas.co.uk/holidayaccommodation_details.php?id=45
The low season rate would apply, so providing we could fill either property then the cost is going to be around £110 each for the week. 

Flights – Ryanair flights into Santander are currently showing at about £125 return (including 1 bag in the hold) which is a big increase on this, and last, years prices. We do have the alternative of Easyjet flights from Stansted to Oviedo (Asturias), not particularly handy for me personally but as they are currently on offer at around £75 return seems daft to pay an extra £50 just to fly into Santander . Santander is 110km from Piasca and Oviedo airport is approx. 175km. Once we make a decision on actual dates and which flight to take then you will be responsible for booking your own flight.

Car Hire – again depends on how many are going. If there are say 8 of us then 2 x 4/5 seaters would be the best bet (would need at least one other person prepared to drive). If more than 8 then 2 of the 7 seaters would be best. I reckon that would come in at between £70/£80 each.

On top of the above costs we would need to account for petrol and food, plus any miscellaneous bits and pieces you would need – say around £100 for the week but of course that all depends on how much you like to eat, drink and be merry  ;)   

If anyone interested then please let me know asap.

Happy New Year

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:11:39, 12/01/11 »
We now have 9 intrepid trekkers all raring to go to the Picos. Looks like the general consensus is for the week of 10th to 17th September.

Due to the sleeping arrangements we will need to book both houses - unless some of the senoras y senores fancy a blind date or three  :o

More details to follow later.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:56:13, 13/01/11 »
The general consensus WAS for the 10th to the 17th, however we will now be going from the 17th to the 24th.  :-[

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:51:57, 13/09/11 »
Have a most fantastic time everyone, and I hope that the
weather is as fantastic as it was in those photos.   O0

Looking forward to seeing your trip report... have a great time!   ;)
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:09:31, 13/09/11 »
Have a most fantastic time everyone, and I hope that the
weather is as fantastic as it was in those photos.   O0

Looking forward to seeing your trip report... have a great time!   ;)

Thanks dibble. Forecast up to Monday here http://www.yourweather.co.uk/weather_Potes-Europe-Spain-Cantabria--1-6012.html and from Monday on http://www.yourweather.co.uk/weather_Potes-Europe-Spain-Cantabria--nxw-6012.html

Not looking too bad. Hopefully someone will take plenty of photos and write a report or two - won't be me as I'm staying out there a few days longer  :)

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:24:56, 13/09/11 »
Oooh, that's looking great OneF.   Thank you for the link.

Have a brill time and I hope you enjoy the extra time there too.   :)

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:54:36, 15/09/11 »
I hope you all have a brilliant time  O0 O0   Can't wait for the pics and TR when you all get back  ;)
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy