Author Topic: Alpine Winter Walking....  (Read 5557 times)

snowslider

• Veteran Member
Alpine Winter Walking....
« on: 11:21:13, 30/12/09 »
... actually you can't really, it's too hard going, I was just reading something Angry Climber wrote here : http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,5654.0

That's pretty normal conditions here, you do get the odd prepared trail but away from those it's deep and hard going. So you need something on your feet, skis obviously work well but on flatter or rolling terrain it becomes a pain so nordic touring gear or snowshoes are best. I was in the UK recently giving a couple of talks on snowshoeing and at one short one half way through a voice pipes up "why not just walk?" which is a fair question, the answer like Angry Climber said is it can be too hard going.

Here's some snaps from the last couple of days near the village :

That's my teenage niece larking around on snowshoes, jumping off things and sliding down slopes  ;D

And this is the grownups out for a stroll. more or less fun depending on your age I think   ;D

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: Alpine Winter Walking....
« Reply #1 on: 11:39:48, 30/12/09 »
Is there a technique as such? - I'm assuming you don't just lash them on and plod off?

How deep is the snow under you? - How far do you sink into it with the snowshoes on?

Can the snow be so soft that the snowshoes don't work, and just end up meaning that every lift of your foot comes with a weight of snow on top of it?

How steep can you climb and descend?
solvitur ambulando

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: 11:47:46, 30/12/09 »
I have used these snow shoes before they are a marked improvement on the old "tennis rackets". The conditions I was talking about snowslider is correct it is just that up here in Scotland the weather is usually damp and the snow becomes very compact. This weekend it was very cold and dry with no airflow so the snow remained very soft and fluffy. This type of snow is absolutely no good for walking on. Snowshoes would have been ideal.
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:02:34, 30/12/09 »
Is there a technique as such? - I'm assuming you don't just lash them on and plod off?

No, more or less you do just lash them on and plod off  ;D If you're thinking of something hard like putting rollerblades on it's nothing like that. I might have some familiarity in terms of setting a track or moving on steep ground but it's all simple stuff.

How deep is the snow under you? - How far do you sink into it with the snowshoes on?

I've been out in snowpacks up-to 4 meters deep, how far you sink depends on the snow, rarely beyond boot tops. The snowshoes make it easy to move along though.

Can the snow be so soft that the snowshoes don't work, and just end up meaning that every lift of your foot comes with a weight of snow on top of it?

You can get a lot of soft snow on the surface but it doesn't build up on the snowshoe. Sometimes in spring there's some complex layering in the snow and you can crash through a couple of layers. These conditions are dangerous for other reasons though so you need to be skilled or with someone who knows what they're doing.

This is an MSR Denali EVO Ascent snowshow, it's a fairly top-end model and you strap a standard boot into it. I happen to use a more mountaineering orientated boot as I'm out a lot and I need something fairly stiff if I want to move in mixed ground or kick steps etc. Any standard walking boot would be just fine.

You can see on the underside the MSR has steel rails with sabretooths for grip on ice and lateral struts which give a lateral strength and work as a track. Under the toe I've a crampon that's pivoting under the ball of the foot, I can basically front point up something using those spikes. The MSR is a high end model and it's laterally fairly stiff so if I traverse it doesn't flex laterally too much.

It's hard to say how steep you can move on, it depends on the snow and terrain. On steep ground we'd zig-zag up kick-turning to alter direction. Moving down on short sections it's easier to "bound" down like Amy is doing in the third and fourth photographs above.

Another neat feature of the Denali models is you can add float tails as in the picture. How much you sink in snow is a function of surface area so if you increase the deck area you'll float in deeper, fresher snow a lot more.

This is simple and fun, winter walking in the alps would be out the question without some enhanced flotation. There's also more to do in the alps in winter than buying an expensive lift pass and skiing, in fact even a pair of snowshoes like mine although relatively expensive is still cheaper than many week long ski lift passes.

All that said, winter in the alps is a serious environment, in deep winter your chances of surviving a night out aren't great and there's a huge risk from avalanches once you're out of secured areas. Both Julie and I are wearing avalanche transceiver in those photo's and the rucksacks have probes and shovels in them. Anyone could rent a pair of snowshoes and have a go around some of the prepared trails though, it's just if you're moving away from them you need to be aware of the risks or join a guide or leader.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:27:27, 30/12/09 »
Good answer! - that looks absolutely fascinating, I has no idea they were so technical.
Thanks for taking the time to post that info up.
solvitur ambulando

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:06:16, 30/12/09 »
Thanks SS that was an interesting read. Could of done with snowshoes today over in the Arenigs

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:40:56, 30/12/09 »
enjoyed the report and the pics....looks a fantastic place.....cozza O0
little victorys

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:36:17, 31/12/09 »
A few more snaps from today, this is basically the forest at the back of the chalet so you don't have to go far if the conditions are good  :)

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:31:41, 10/03/10 »
And i thought snow shoes were just like old tennis rackets :o

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: 09:16:18, 10/03/10 »
In days gone by they looked like this
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy