Author Topic: Himachal pradesh  (Read 8374 times)

tony1970

Himachal pradesh
« on: 18:38:10, 20/08/10 »
Thought I would throw in a bit of a trip report and a few piccies of my recent trip to the Indian Himalyas.
Not going to go into to much detail, but if anyone is interested this link gives a more detailed report on the trek   http://http://www.hsyacf.org.uk/himalaya10/

After around 20 hours of traveling time we arrived in the stifling heat of Delhi.35c. Although it was nearly midnight the hustle and bustle of this city was amazing the amount of people (trying to carry your bags or sell you things) and traffic was incredible. After a short but scary ride we arrived at our hotel.

They know how to build roads in India but no idea how to use them 3 lane roads with around 5 rows of vehicles and cows! yes cows. horns blowing total madness, and dont get me started on roundabouts, but for some reason it all works everybody slows down they let other vehicles in whether they are in the right lane or not , no road rage, no deaths. Bloody amazing.

Anyhow after a quick nap it was up and across the road,200 yds 50 people wanting to carry my bag/sell me things, to the train station for the first part of our trip from Delhi to Khalka express train. "Ah express" I hear you say, not exactly! 60 miles in 6 hours. Nothing goes fast in India.
Then one of the highlights of the trip the toy train from Khalka to Shimla takes around 8 hours and is visited by many spotters?? I mean train enthusiasts every year.

Khalka train station, trying to look cool and not quite acheiving it.

The train, this is first class we didnt see what they call second class but I am assured it isnt nice, something to do with cattle.

Going through one of the 102 tunnels on the line, there are various viaducts along the way as well. The track is an amazing feat of engineering I am sorry that my photos do not convey this very well. Little fact the engineer who designed the railway killed himself in disgrace when after starting building from both ends the tracks did not meet up in the middle. The engineers name was Barog.

One of the many colourful hill stations enroute

And finally Shimla itself. Yeeah I know not the best picture, it stayed pretty much like this the whole time we were there and I am no David Bailey.

Right gonna sign off for now will add more soon of rest of trek. if any interest.
« Last Edit: 12:39:52, 21/08/10 by ramblingpete »

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Himachal pradesh
« Reply #1 on: 09:38:41, 21/08/10 »
Nice one Tony - after hearing about it on one of our walks, I'd like to see lots more pictures and the tale of the trek. It looks an adventure travelling on that lot.

Considering it was that hot - had you just changed your shirt for the picture?

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:57:26, 21/08/10 »
I'd like to see the trek piccies Tony - c'mon share em with us ;D
Matt :)

tony1970

« Reply #3 on: 13:17:31, 22/08/10 »
Trying to keep this in some order so here is a couple of pics from around Shimla and the Lakhu monkey temple.

Me and Gary with the Punjabi freedom fighter Lala Lajpat rai (statue)who guards the entrance to the monkey temple.

Stop monkeying around. Weather was awful so not many pics of the temple and the actual statue of the monkey god at 60ft high was covered in scaffolding so not much joy there either.

The temple replete with dogs. I thought this was the monkey temple?

Taking pride of place in Shimlas town square the golden statue of Ghandi.

Downtown Shimla just about everything you can think of you can buy in one of the many little shops that abound this area and I mean a lot of shops.

New country new friends o be made.
Right thats the first touristy bit done. I will move on to the treking phase next, so give us a couple of days and new pics will be up.

Tryfan75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:24:39, 22/08/10 »
Thanks Tony - looking forward to the trekking piccies....
 O0

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:41:10, 24/08/10 »
Looks like a fantastic experience - looking forward to more!

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:29:02, 24/08/10 »
These are great, I'll have to show them my wife Abs, she trekked in the Dharamasala/Bahl area in Himachal Pradesh in 2008 for 'Help the Aged'.
Trekking photos please!
solvitur ambulando

tony1970

« Reply #7 on: 17:33:38, 24/08/10 »
A few from the first part of the trek. from Shimla to Kafnoo our first campsite.Then on to Mulling.

convoy. We had only been driving for about half an hour and the drivers decided it was time for breakfast.

Dodgy roadside cafe or what?.

Our first view of the bhaba valley, quite picturesque really. [censored] to climb.

More from the valley as we whizzed past in our super charged 4X4 sport vehicles.
150km in about 8 hours, cant really complain the hills are steep and quite treacherous.at times. More on that later.

The campsite at Kafnoo. altitude of 2500m.

The mess tent were lashings of rice and dahl (chick pea curry) and hot sweet tea were served over the coming weeks. Think it will be a while before I can go for a curry for again.

This view greeted us on the next day, lovely clear day to get some walking under our belts. You can just see a group  walking towards us in the distance, they belonged to the world challenge organisation they had camped the previous night at the location we were going to.

This was Ram our Nepalese guide. cracking bloke even if he did throw a litre of custard over me best paramo jacket one night.

Stopping for a quick breather and the photo op of the river flowing under the snow cap thingy.

impromptu rock climbing. Nice view shame that fat blokes in the way.

The view from the campsite at Mulling 3200m absolutely stunng same couldnt be said for the site though whoever had been there before us had left it in rag order.
Empty cans, food containers,sweet wrappers and worst of all toilet paper (used) left lying around, disgusting, complete animals. We cleaned up and burnt as much rubbish as we could. Our sairdar (nepalese leader) and his group were completely unimpressed with the attitude of these people. Our group leader has put in a complaint.
Anyway thanks for looking will post more soon

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:00:26, 25/08/10 »
It looks a great trip Tony. It beggars belief that people can be such aerosols to leave their rubbish like that. Looking forward to the next lot O0

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:15:27, 25/08/10 »
fabulous! im sure the memories from this trip will stay with you forever. O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

tony1970

« Reply #10 on: 16:56:29, 26/08/10 »
Next pics are from Mulling to Kara.

Can't remember if this is looking down the valley or back up. Whatever, its still a nice view.

Me spoiling the view again.

More of the valley.

A quick breather, I mean photo op before more ascent.

Rock climbing....

It wasn't to big a rock though.

The camp at Kara towards dusk. height 3600m.
Acclimatisation walk around kara next day up to nearly 4000m.

Mutti the camp dog. If I could of got him through customs I would have brought him home with me. He were a right cracking dog.

Wheres Julie Andrews. About the best day weatherwise while we were there.

Nice perch.

The valley was absolutely covered in different types of flora. From potentillas, daiseys, forget me nots, and so many other alpine plants that I can't name, the colours were outstanding.

Shame about the cloud.

Back down to camp for tea and biccies and more curry yum yum!.

More soon.

Micky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:41:56, 26/08/10 »
Absolutely brilliant Tony, I remember when we did the Helvellyn walk earlier this year you were telling me about this trip and getting quite excited about it. I'm pleased you enjoyed it and it does look awesome mate, I'm very envious. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:34:21, 26/08/10 »
Looks a fantatic trip O0   

And those flowers - WOW!

tony1970

« Reply #13 on: 16:45:11, 31/08/10 »
Next lot over the Bhabar pass.

Our camp just below the pass. at 4085m

looking down on the camp.

Going up the pass.

The top of the pass 4800m exscuse lack of photos at this point, trying to find another orofice to breathe out of.

Over the top and now looking down into Pin valley.

Coming down the pass a couple of the horses tooka tumble and rolled a fair way down. The only problem with that was we had  couple of nervous walkers taking it very slowly and the a half a ton of fully laden horse coming up behind you very quickly turns into damp trouser time.
The horses were ok.

Lunch stop views dont come much better than this. The only thing spoiling it was a right cracking headache absolute brain buster. Few strong paracetomols for that one.

tony1970

« Reply #14 on: 16:46:42, 31/08/10 »
Forgot to say more piccies coming soon.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy