Author Topic: SPOT Tracker ...or?  (Read 2826 times)

lightweightmick

SPOT Tracker ...or?
« on: 16:55:54, 02/03/20 »
Thankfully SPOT now don't insist on a 12 month minimum term any more. I reckon it'll cost around £60 for a month's use inc. the £10 registration fee...
I have two units (Gen1 and Gen3) but found signal could be patchy - as reported on Slogger's coverage of my last (2106) effort on foot as it didn't update for over an hour (or thereabouts) one morning (only vale of Mowbray...) - hence reviving that old thread!
 I also had problems cancelling my subscription with them which cost me dearly when thracker wasn't used at all during that period - you have to register a credit card (or did at the time anyway...)

On my last mixed 'foot and bike' effort I just used the FollowMee phone app which worked suprisingly well and I only lost signal from Rossett Gill to the Dungeon Ghyll (Mickleden)

Another thing the 'FollowMee' route plot is still available to view two years on whereas the SPOT plot has long gone ( a.i.r. SPOT give you about two weeks?)

http://www.followmee.com/mapx.aspx?file=l/lightweightmick/C3FC.kml

The only advantage (though could be a big one!) is the satellite system allows for and emergency response via satellite.
The big question then (as we're advised to register to 112): Is a text, which requires only a very weak signal, going to be as effectice in an emergency as the SPOT SOS feature?
The SPOT batteries last and last, but the phone battery (now I can't swap batteries...) will certainly not benefit from running two apps...
Any thoughts..? What's to do..?
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: SPOT Tracker ...or?
« Reply #1 on: 17:03:28, 02/03/20 »
BuddyBeacon in ViewRanger.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #2 on: 17:11:44, 02/03/20 »
BuddyBeacon in ViewRanger.
Does it depend on a phone signal? If so how does it differ from 112 text?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:20:12, 02/03/20 »
Does it depend on a phone signal? If so how does it differ from 112 text?
  It needs a data signal to transmit your location so it does not to be more than one bar.  As I understand it, if it cannot find a signal when it wants to report your location, it will catch up when it gets one.  Its efficacy is therefore a function of your phone and network.  But it is very affordable as it is free.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #4 on: 18:29:49, 02/03/20 »
  It needs a data signal to transmit your location so it does not to be more than one bar.  As I understand it, if it cannot find a signal when it wants to report your location, it will catch up when it gets one.  Its efficacy is therefore a function of your phone and network.  But it is very affordable as it is free.
Sounds good as you've still got the 112 text option (if registered - and no good reason not too...)Thanks I'll check it out. I currently use GPX Viewer and I don't think they have any similar...
I'm new here and this has probably been shared on here already, but no harm in sharing it again as he gives good advice on how to improve chances of getting that one emergency text away should we ever be unfortunate enough to need to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZv_8dABfU

GoneWest

« Reply #5 on: 10:48:47, 09/04/20 »
I have an "Inreach" - the original brick-like one with replaceable batteries, not the new mini, which I covet but cannot justifiably afford. Similar emergency functionality and tracking to Spot's but higher transmit power + full 2-way messaging (when linked to Earthmate App). No satellite-based system is particularly cheap to run, though; you get what you pay for. I have also encountered one situation (in dense woodland) where my phone worked better! I always carry and use both when "off-piste".

I'm very impressed with ViewRanger for all sorts of things, including "Buddy Beacon", in situations where it will work.

Another tracking phone app I have is APRSDroid, but it's unfortunately only for use by licensed radio amateurs for whom it's free to use. It communicates either through phone data or via a VHF radio, suitably connected to the phone. The radio, though, requires a suitable amateur repeater nearby, just as the phone needs its local mast. Chances are that both or neither method will work in a given place so, like everything else to do with amateur radio, playing with APRS is barely more than a hobby, really!

lightweightmick

« Reply #6 on: 14:08:43, 09/04/20 »
I have an "Inreach" - the original brick-like one with replaceable batteries, not the new mini, which I covet but cannot justifiably afford. Similar emergency functionality and tracking to Spot's but higher transmit power + full 2-way messaging (when linked to Earthmate App). No satellite-based system is particularly cheap to run, though; you get what you pay for. I have also encountered one situation (in dense woodland) where my phone worked better! I always carry and use both when "off-piste".

I'm very impressed with ViewRanger for all sorts of things, including "Buddy Beacon", in situations where it will work.

Another tracking phone app I have is APRSDroid, but it's unfortunately only for use by licensed radio amateurs for whom it's free to use. It communicates either through phone data or via a VHF radio, suitably connected to the phone. The radio, though, requires a suitable amateur repeater nearby, just as the phone needs its local mast. Chances are that both or neither method will work in a given place so, like everything else to do with amateur radio, playing with APRS is barely more than a hobby, really!
Interesting - thanks for the input  O0
My SPOT 1 is brick-like though waterproof and more suited to marine use. The GEN 4 is much smaller but not w/proof.

With last use of SPOT there was a dead zone for a couple of hours, which I don't think is very good considering the cost...

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 15:49:20, 09/04/20 »
I have the InReach Mini on the Freedom Plan so only pay for the months I need it.
Brilliant bit of kit, my main reason for buying it was so I could send an “OK” text to the wife and it works no matter where I have used it.
I’ve never needed to use the SOS feature and hopefully never will.

GoneWest

« Reply #8 on: 17:11:49, 09/04/20 »
I have the Inreach Freedom Plan, too. It's good value, as these things go - particularly now, while it's indefinitely suspended!

lightweightmick

« Reply #9 on: 23:32:46, 09/04/20 »
I have the InReach Mini on the Freedom Plan so only pay for the months I need it.
Brilliant bit of kit, my main reason for buying it was so I could send an “OK” text to the wife and it works no matter where I have used it.
I’ve never needed to use the SOS feature and hopefully never will.
O0 Crikey.. wish I hadn't looked that one up! - They aren't exactly 'giving them away' are they? I'm not even going to look at the weight of the unit... lol - and as GoneWest says not perhaps a wise purchase at present...

taxino8

« Reply #10 on: 06:58:05, 10/04/20 »
not perhaps a wise purchase at present...
Not with this ongoing situation but on the bright side, if there is one, I can see some bargains coming up all over the place as sales are obviously down. You never know, you might get one cheap.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:21:45, 10/04/20 »
I would not bother with one at all for UK walking except possibly in the remote parts of Scotland.  Mobile phone based systems should be adequate.
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #12 on: 08:26:49, 10/04/20 »
I would not bother with one at all for UK walking except possibly in the remote parts of Scotland.  Mobile phone based systems should be adequate.
An reason why?
I use mine in the Lakes as I often overnight in places with no signal and as a sixty two year old solo walker it gives my family peace of mind when I can send a text saying I’m ok. For me it’s worth the cost just for that alone and you never know, one day it could save the life of me or someone i come across.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:37:24, 10/04/20 »
An reason why?
I use mine in the Lakes as I often overnight in places with no signal and as a sixty two year old solo walker it gives my family peace of mind when I can send a text saying I’m ok. For me it’s worth the cost just for that alone and you never know, one day it could save the life of me or someone i come across.
Because for most purposes and for most people, BuddyBeacon and similar systems work well enough.  They do not need a continuous or good signal to work and coverage is likely to improve further with time.  I would certainly try that first.  If it does not work for you, then spend the money.
Solvitur Ambulando

taxino8

« Reply #14 on: 08:42:37, 10/04/20 »
Because for most purposes and for most people, BuddyBeacon and similar systems work well enough.  They do not need a continuous or good signal to work and coverage is likely to improve further with time.  I would certainly try that first.  If it does not work for you, then spend the money.
I already have, an Inreach Mini on the Freedom Plan, it works out less per year than two decent meals dining out with the wife.
As I said, mine is more for peace of mind for me and the family so this suits my needs better.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy