Author Topic: New Coast to Coast Programme on TV  (Read 4365 times)

Lakeland Lorry

New Coast to Coast Programme on TV
« on: 09:41:45, 10/03/17 »
Friday 17th March at 8pm on Channel 5

Tony Robinson: Coast to Coast

More from the man who gave us Walking Through History. Tony Robinson dons his hiking boots again…Tony Robinson dons his hiking boots again, this time to explore the 200-mile coast-to-coast route made famous by travel writer Alfred Wainwright. In the six-part series, Tony will be trekking across the north of England from St Bee’s Beach in Cumbria to Robin Hood’s Bay on the Yorkshire coast.On the first leg of his trip, Tony travels through the beautiful Lake District where he tries his hand at making gourmet Scotch eggs and learns of their upper-class origins, visits a craft brewery and learns about the history of slate extraction at Britain’s last working slate mine.He also meets a progressive tenant farmer whose cows come running to his call…
Read more at http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/events/tony-robinson-coast-coast/#jV7BIxWwRGieotWr.99

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: New Coast to Coast Programme on TV
« Reply #1 on: 10:01:27, 10/03/17 »
I'll be watching this as I'm a sucker for anything walking related but I've seen TV programmes from Honister Slate Mine so often I could run the guided tour. ;D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:03:29, 10/03/17 »
I always have a look but I easily get bored as each presenter tries to find ways to fill in the bit where they are not walking by trying out some task or other as they pass through various places. Sometimes I'm not sure if they ever do any walking? To me the worst one for this (sorry, I know its trains) is Michael Portillo when doing his train rides, he rarely says anything about the train themselves, he's too busy making chocolate, having a dance here or there, playing at being a black smith, etc, its all just padding!  As a rule of thumb I prefer YouTube and Vimeo hiking videos, usually a lot more interesting and some film makers can really catch the essence of hiking.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:35:46, 10/03/17 »
A new series of "Walks with my Dog" started this week on Channel 4.  I think it was on Wednesday, although I managed to catch it last night on More 4.  The hour-long programme covered three walks, including from Hawes to Hardraw Force in the Yorkshire Dales which I particularly enjoyed as I know the area well.  As is usual in these programmes they can't possibly fit everything in, but the programme gave a good indication of what the walks are like.

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 12:26:08, 10/03/17 »
I always have a look but I easily get bored as each presenter tries to find ways to fill in the bit where they are not walking by trying out some task or other

Peter Owen-Jones - 'South downs mountains green'. I know the south downs way fairly well, most of the shots were of the same section but from different angles.
Also shots of the 'Seven Sisters' were from the 'Seaford Head Nature Reserve', west side of 'Cuckmere Haven' (the Classic view). The SDW runs inland on east side ridge at Cliff End -
Haven Brow to Exceat.
Or I'm I just been picky  ;) 
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:18:19, 10/03/17 »
Peter Owen-Jones - 'South downs mountains green'. I know the south downs way fairly well, most of the shots were of the same section but from different angles.
Also shots of the 'Seven Sisters' were from the 'Seaford Head Nature Reserve', west side of 'Cuckmere Haven' (the Classic view). The SDW runs inland on east side ridge at Cliff End -
Haven Brow to Exceat.
Or I'm I just been picky  ;)

I felt that the programme was only loosely linked to the SDW and was more a celebration of the South Downs National Park    :)   

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:10:40, 10/03/17 »
Not for me. Paul Rose is much more in the mould of a walker than Robinson...and his offerings have been rubbish. It is a shame that great walks are being reduced to time filling TV travelogues

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 22:15:08, 11/03/17 »

I agree with Jonathanwharfgun , theres a guy called joathancraigguides who ive been following through the lakes on youtube, hes great at the amateur videos and has great knowledge and facts on the areas he walks take a look.

John Walker

« Reply #8 on: 21:21:44, 17/03/17 »
I just watched the first programme and it lived down to my expectations.  I don't mind Tony Robinson as a presenter (e.g. Time Team) but this hour-long episode had just a few great scenery shots, very little walking, massive amounts about local employment and the whole thing punctuated by interminable adverts. I'll probably watch the rest of the series, but more in faint hope than expectation.
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:58:36, 17/03/17 »
I just watched the first programme and it lived down to my expectations.  I don't mind Tony Robinson as a presenter (e.g. Time Team) but this hour-long episode had just a few great scenery shots, very little walking, massive amounts about local employment and the whole thing punctuated by interminable adverts. I'll probably watch the rest of the series, but more in faint hope than expectation.
You have just said exactly what I was going to say.  I was expecting to see more of the walk and the countryside, but all we got was interviews with the locals.  Like you, I will probably watch the rest, but I fear it will be much of the same.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:42:57, 18/03/17 »
A new series of "Walks with my Dog" started this week on Channel 4. 

I just tried (for the last hour) to watch this on catch up.  First, I was using an out of date browser, then I needed to disable ad-blockers for that site.  After fart-arsing around for an hour trying to figure out how I do what it needs for me to watch it, I give up. 

Channel 4 On Demand EPIC FAIL.  You are the weakest link... goodbye.

warning ^^^^ not a user friendly site ^^^

>:(

(I guess that should have been on the small rant thread  :D  )

Hope it's a rubbish programme and I'm not missing anything by not being able to watch it.

Right, I'll shurrup now.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:49:14, 19/03/17 »
Mel, it was on Channel 5, we watched it on the catch up bit last night. You might be able to use that one?

I enjoyed the programme but I wasn't expecting it to be about the Coast to Coast LDW.

I did have a problem with Tony Robinson calling Ennerdale Water "Lake Ennerdale" twice  >:(  ;D

He also said Sellafield was in the Lake District. It is in Cumbria but outside the LDNP boundary.

I will carry on watching it, what a shame it isn't about walking the route though!

Right off out to get a windswept soaking for the second time this weekend  :(
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:37:57, 19/03/17 »
Mel, it was on Channel 5, we watched it on the catch up bit last night. You might be able to use that one?

I enjoyed the programme but I wasn't expecting it to be about the Coast to Coast LDW.

I did have a problem with Tony Robinson calling Ennerdale Water "Lake Ennerdale" twice  >:( ;D

He also said Sellafield was in the Lake District. It is in Cumbria but outside the LDNP boundary.

I will carry on watching it, what a shame it isn't about walking the route though!

Right off out to get a windswept soaking for the second time this weekend  :(
And he went to Honister before Black Sail hut. >:(

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:31:06, 19/03/17 »
Very disappointing, he hardly even mentioned the walk. Just cheap telly. 

pmerryman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:10:53, 21/03/17 »
Just put it on catch up. Turned it off after his second scotch egg.
Paul

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy