Author Topic: Pennine Way and the price of a pint  (Read 24560 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way and the price of a pint
« Reply #30 on: 22:35:03, 12/03/20 »
Well I thought that line about you being a handicap to your son was really funny  ;D
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:43:54, 12/03/20 »
Seeing as I don't drink pints (being a refined and classy sort of bird  ::)  ), I've donated the price of two halves instead.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 10:36:52, 13/03/20 »

Thanks Mel.

I had forgotten what high class young ladies we had on the forum. April, with her refined palette for only the finest vin rouge and you who I imagine only ever sips cocktails.
Though that depends on your definition of cocktails but Snakebite is 2 drinks mixed together so I think it qualifies.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:52:52, 13/03/20 »
The amazing donations keep coming in. Just got one from someone I didn't recognise and neither did anyone else in the family. After a search on line it turns out he has posted twice on the forum, the last time in July 2019.

I guess he is reading the forum still though so thank you.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 21:01:38, 13/03/20 »
  Hope it goes well.When I finished the Cleveland Way a few years ago I got caught in a storm in Filey on the Sunday morning and sheltered in a doorway of a Salvation Army building.The guy in charge,who I believe was called a Major,invited me in and we had a chat.He then went to collect his car and came back soaked to the skin.I commented about the awful weather and said I was fed up  of the constant rain to which he replied " its better than being in a hospital bed".What he was telling me was that I didn't appreciate how lucky I was to be able to walk in the rain.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:09:23, 13/03/20 »
Thanks Tony.
Yes serious stuff like that is great for putting things in to perspective.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 23:19:28, 13/03/20 »
Thanks Mel.

I had forgotten what high class young ladies we had on the forum. April, with her refined palette for only the finest vin rouge and you who I imagine only ever sips cocktails.
Though that depends on your definition of cocktails but Snakebite is 2 drinks mixed together so I think it qualifies.

Yeah, thanks for that...I think  :-\ 

And here was me willing to bump your topic back to the top again to encourage more donations.

I won't bother now  ::)   :P   ;)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:13:22, 14/03/20 »
Onwards and upwards, and that seems to be your inspiring mantra. We grow by our experiences good and bad, you and your son are certainly due some good ones. I will donate a few pints during your walk. Keep us posted. Good luck.Ive just shared this to the Pennine Way Walkers facebook page.Dave.
« Last Edit: 16:18:38, 14/03/20 by Slogger »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 16:33:25, 14/03/20 »
Thanks Dave, I hope your hip is not being too agonising and is soon sorted.

We are not going at Spine speed so, over our 16 days, there will be a few real pints raised as well as hopefully plenty of money raised too. We were not planning to start fundraising quite this early but it has taken off and people have been so generous that we had to increase his fundraising target.
Though we are probably still £10,000s in debt to the Teenage Cancer Trust and to Macmillan and quite possibly £100,000s to the NHS.
« Last Edit: 16:41:46, 14/03/20 by Ridge »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 18:37:57, 14/03/20 »
Happy to help. Did the PW a few years ago. My brother died from leukaemia age 14 over 40 years ago, nowadays would most likely survive thanks to the advances in medicine.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:50:23, 14/03/20 »
Thanks RR, much appreciated.
So sorry to hear about your brother that must have been awful for all of you.
Even a few years earlier my son wouldn't have had the same chances that he did and in another country, with a different health care system, we would have been in real trouble.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:13:09, 15/03/20 »
And here was me willing to bump your topic back to the top again to encourage more donations.

Ah Mel, don't be like that.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:16:57, 19/03/20 »

Ah Mel, don't be like that.

Ooops, sorrreeeeeeyyyyyyy, only just realised you replied to me  ;)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:18:08, 20/03/20 »
Ooops, sorrreeeeeeyyyyyyy, only just realised you replied to me  ;)
;D ;D ;D  Thanks Mel.

I think I've probably pumped the forum for as much cash as I can. Thank you all.
Amazingly it is still trickling in even in the current circumstances, the last 5 people who gave are all freelancers. We have smashed his first target and are at 78% of the new one.

I can not imagine how horrendous it would be if my son was ill now, it was awful trying to stop him getting bugs when he was immunosuppressant but as things are I just don't know what I would do.

I don't know if we will set off on 20th June or not but we will walk it one day and, more importantly, the Teenage Cancer Trust gets the money as soon as it is donated.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 14:10:34, 25/03/20 »
Just had our first accommodation cancellation. Alston YH is closed until 31st July.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy