Author Topic: Three Pretty Local Churches  (Read 904 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Three Pretty Local Churches
« Reply #1 on: 16:46:05, 13/02/19 »
Have been past Kirk Smeaton church enough times, never thought to try the door. Wouldnt want to take mud in though.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:33:44, 14/02/19 »
Always good to find an open church and don't worry abut mud, just slip your boots off. Most churches contain some nugget of beauty or interest and some are truly surprising. Sheepstor church, on the edge of Dartmoor has the imposing tombs of the White Rajahs of Sarawak.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:37:44, 16/02/19 »
'Husband day care centres', a new marketing gimmick? Has recently cropped up in Shrewsbury on 'Ye Old Loggerheads', made me smile. Used to be one of my more secret hidaways  :( .

We can't pass many churches without Mrs BWW wanting to enter, so as the habit had been established. On a solo walk it was fairly natural I should take a luncheon break in a little rural church, there 3 ladies were doing flower decorations. They were very flirtatious and after much good natured banter I continued on my way. It was quite a long lunch break. It was a public transport dependent linear walk, but fortunately I was going bus to train, always wise as the trains usually run later than the bus services.

On another occasion we discovered a trapped Swallow with in a church, Mrs BWW had me climbing over the pews to try to catch it. Not sure if I got as far as swinging from the pulpit, but it was a tricky route into the arched stained window, where I cornered and caught the bird. It was exhausted, probably from lack of food, but was able to fly away from hand, when we took it out to the church yard.
Country Churches can be a very useful source of info on the local nobbery, so it can be a good place to compare the map with lack of access, quite revealing sometimes.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:49:04, 16/02/19 »

On another occasion we discovered a trapped Swallow with in a church, Mrs BWW had me climbing over the pews to try to catch it. Not sure if I got as far as swinging from the pulpit, but it was a tricky route into the arched stained window, where I cornered and caught the bird. It was exhausted, probably from lack of food, but was able to fly away from hand, when we took it out to the church yard.
Country Churches can be a very useful source of info on the local nobbery, so it can be a good place to compare the map with lack of access, quite revealing sometimes.

It all makes for an enjoyable walk.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy