Author Topic: The Bollin Valley Way  (Read 1557 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
The Bollin Valley Way
« on: 20:23:11, 16/08/20 »
For the past couple is Saturday's I've walked the BVW, a 24mile walk from Macclesfield in Cheshire to Partington, Greater Manchester. Lots of it I have done before on various walks but never from one end to the other so with this covid thing still knocking about I thought it a perfect opportunity to have a good old walk away from a lot of crowds. A really enjoyable couple of weekends that I am currently getting on my blog.
Here's part one. Sorry about the lack of photos on here but both my tinypic and photobucket have now gone.
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-bollin-valley-way-part-one-1st.html

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: The Bollin Valley Way
« Reply #1 on: 20:52:03, 16/08/20 »
Greetings from North Cheshire
Zizag O0

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:19:16, 16/08/20 »
It's great to see somebody else has done the same walks as me .  
The Bollin Valley Way ( also North Cheshire Way)  
I have walked the BVW  from Macclesfield to The Carrs  Wilmslow .  
And done it In Reverse .  
As I only live up the road 2 Miles at Handforth.  
But I have not walked it all from the start to finish .  
I have walked many parts of the BVW  .  
As the River goes through ( Style village and the River are my daily walks also)  
 Styal woods around the M/C trail runway 2 .  
As I used to have a 12 miles training run around these places including Castle mill hill and the Bollin tunnel river .  
So I know a lot of the walk and the places you did your walk up to Hale ,  Rossmill .  
I did cross the BVW on a walk in the Trans Pennine trail walking from Lymm to Dunham Massey.  
All lovely places to meander with the River .  
Great photos and nice story of your walk .  
So we'll done .  

GoneWest

« Reply #3 on: 15:29:59, 17/08/20 »
Just checking in as another "Bollinner" - I grew up in this area.

FYI (possibly), I put a couple of links relating to Castle Mill pool in a previous post:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40170.msg583549#msg583549

After you follow the link to the picture, you may have to get rid of a popup to see it. Click the blue oriental script below the green button!
« Last Edit: 15:33:29, 17/08/20 by GoneWest »

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:58:00, 17/08/20 »
Just checking in as another "Bollinner" - I grew up in this area.

FYI (possibly), I put a couple of links relating to Castle Mill pool in a previous post:

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40170.msg583549#msg583549

After you follow the link to the picture, you may have to get rid of a popup to see it. Click the blue oriental script below the green button!

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:17:53, 17/08/20 »
Hi GoneWest 
I've Just read your article on "Where am I"
Found very Interesting .
About the area you lived in as Bollinner,  Hale Barns .
A great play area for kids on the trails and banks of the Bollin river .
Ref to Castle mill pool from years ago .
I think it was at the bottom of Mill lane on the hairpin bend below Castle mill farm .........
Now a property styled on a Spanish Hacienda
We used to do walks from Sunbank lane down to a junction at the aptly named piggley stairs bridge then right along the Bollin to Rossmill lane and back .
Also your article about the Church's in the Area very Interesting .

GoneWest

« Reply #6 on: 18:19:29, 17/08/20 »
We used to do walks from Sunbank lane down to a junction at the aptly named piggley stairs bridge then right along the Bollin to Rossmill lane and back .

Yep! That was my childhood stamping ground, but we usually approached it down the fields, from our houses, to roughly where the M56 now crosses the river, and went either way from there.

Also your article about the Church's in the Area very Interesting .

Just for the record, I found this while browsing; I didn't write it!

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:34:15, 17/08/20 »
Hey thanks for the replies, good to know some folk know the place and even grew up there  O0 I'm a Hale Barns lad myself, went to the local primary school and also the youth club at the old chapel school next to what used to be the Unicorn Pub. I still walk that area of the Bollin a lot as my mum still lives that way and I'm still localish to the area. Used to go to the old Castle Mill baths as kids and also to the airport a lot watching the planes as you were allowed on the roof of Ringway then, imagine that nowadays  ;D I remember the M56 being built and walking alon it before it was opened. Just writing part two of the BVW now so hopefully get that on here later this week.thanks for reading and glad it's bought back some memories  O0
Andy  8) 
« Last Edit: 20:19:55, 17/08/20 by redeye »

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:37:02, 18/08/20 »
Redeye.
When you walked after Prestbury and Mottram woods heading to Mill lane going around a farm before Mottram bridge .
Was the banks of the Bollin river  , repaired and Shored up as a lot of Erosion occurred there in the past .
At the time I did the walk coming from Wilmslow and downhill from Newton Hall farm to Mottram bridge .
There was a diversion to the South side due to Banks falling into the River .
I was Diverted >:(  Northley  to come out into the busy B5358 Wilmslow road hairpin very dangerous bend :o and walk on the verge .
Unfortunately I missed the path after the garages on the left alongside Wilot hall on the right and carried on to Bonis hall lane  with all the speedy traffic  :-[
But I carried on walking on the verge until safely
Reaching Top o'hill  and could see the trail to pickup near the bridge near Mottram woods
It was a bit of a :-X Dangerous    ::) detour and cost me a few miles .  
But carried on and got through Prestbury to finish at Macclesfield ,and get the bus home . :)

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:13:08, 19/08/20 »
Hi Zizag. I don't recall any problems and certainly no diversions anywhere. There is a bit of erosion on the banks but the water levels were so low it's hard to tell. Looking back through my photo's dosen't recall any work or anything unusual. There is quite a bit of erosion going on at quite a few points along the whole of the river as it's at the same level as a lot of the fields.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:53:42, 19/08/20 »
Hi Redeye .
I'm going back a number of years ago .
After we had a spell of heavy continuous rain ,for weeks
Which was like a monsoon season .
Caused a lot of Erosion ,the Banks collapsed around the  farm property near Mottram bridge .

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:40:57, 23/08/20 »
Hi Redeye .
Again going back to Mottram bridge on Mill lane
Heading N/W ,
Crossing the field going uphill towards property on the hill called Newton Hall Farm when I did the walk, as I approached My Instinct  :o  was telling me to keep left with the River Bollin ?
But the Yellow waymarkers sent me into the farm ,slightly confusing me :-X  One of
The fingerpost directed out N/E to the Lee's lane
And the other going West to Vardon bridge Ok but I was in a farmyard between large metal gates
Eventually I followed a track out :-\ ,
Which led me to near the River and where my First Instinct told me  :P in the beginning!!!!!!!
But Unfortunatily there were cows everywhere
All spread about .
Carrying on following the trail through a metal gate ajar a couple of cows ranged up along side of me , one veered off away but the other one came very close .
Nowhere to run only back to the gate ajar and try and get behind in a narrow gap .
"Sqeeky bum time  Oh sugar"  :-X
I took action by raising my hiking stick waving it in front of Its eyes 👀
To my relief it fooooooked off away  ::) .  
😯 Was I glad to get out of the Field .  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy