Author Topic: Lightweight Gear  (Read 2003 times)

robn

Lightweight Gear
« on: 17:16:45, 26/05/08 »
It's a bit off topic, but I'm sure you'll be able to advise me!

I'm cycling round Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Benelux etc) for a month in a six or seven weeks. The weather should (hopefully) be pretty nice and warm, but I'm trying to pack as light as I can for as little cost as I can. We're going to be wild camping for about three days, and then hosteling or camping at a site for one day, so we can shower and clean ourselves up etc. And then the cycle will start again.

I've already posted about looking for an 'ok' quality stove for the trip, but I also need a sleeping bag. Mine packs waaay too big, so I need something that packs small, is light, and at a ncie price. (I'm guessing 1 season should be okay, but 2 would be preferable).

Next, I'm looking for something to sleep in! I've considered biviing, but after a whole days cycling, I want to be able to sit in a tent and relax with my head poking out near the campfire. Again, I need it lightweight, small when packed, and a nice price.

Suggestions for any of these pieces of geat would be great!

Thanks!

the coot

Re: Lightweight Gear
« Reply #1 on: 07:53:21, 27/05/08 »
Small lightish sleeping bags, check Snugpak Travelpak lite 700 grams and has a mossie face net, other Snugpaks may suit also.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:08:14, 28/05/08 »

I've already posted about looking for an 'ok' quality stove for the trip, but I also need a sleeping bag. Mine packs waaay too big, so I need something that packs small, is light, and at a ncie price. (I'm guessing 1 season should be okay, but 2 would be preferable).

You should be able to find something suitable for around £50.I purchased a very lightweight bag last year from Blacks.Its okay providing the temperature dosen't drop below 11-12 degrees.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:52:09, 28/05/08 »
HI Folks.., can anyone also tell me about some good sleeping bags that pack down really small but are also very warm ?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Gizerd

« Reply #4 on: 14:44:38, 29/05/08 »
Hi Robn,

As for tents, the most recent one I purchased was the Mtn. Shardware Sprite at REI (in the US). The sale is over but with the dollar exchange it will be half the listed cost for you. Here's a link:

http://www.rei.com/product/747612 [nofollow]

You could take a 2 person tent or even lght 4 person tent and just divide the parts up between people...

Have you considered two things:

1. If it's not going to rain...do you need a tent? If it does rain will you be heading to a B&B anyway? or still wild camping. You could do without it and just take a footprint/tarp to sleep next to the fire. I do this regularly in the states, but it doesn't rain much in the areas I'm used to.

2. Have you considered not bringing a stove at all. I have a backpacking stove, but to remain as light as possible I won't be bringing it on my trips this summer. I'll be eating things that don't need cooked (nuts, jerkey, dried fruit, protein bars, etc.)and hopefully just get coffee and occasional hot meals at any town I stop in :)

Lizzie

yetanotherben

« Reply #5 on: 15:13:53, 12/06/08 »

For a sleeping bag, I'd certainly go for a down sleeping bag - ultralight, ultra-compressible and are great weight-to-warmth ratio - so should cover you for two seasons.  Cumulus Ultralight sleeping bags would do the job - great reviews on the forums.

In regards to the tents...There are several options of tents available (tons in fact!), mostly 1 or 2 man tents that weigh under 2kg, or even 1kg. 

I'll run through the 1 man tents as these seem to be the most popular with the ultralight gear fans out there:

1 man tents:

MSR Hubba HP - 1.38kg, 3 season, evolved from one of the worlds best selling ultralight tents - space for gear and cooking too (about £212).

Vango Ultralite 100 - 1kg - the best for the money (about £112) - single skin but sounds like it would suit you perfectly for summer ultralight camping.  And well designed to stick your head out too!  The North Face Solo 12 is fairly similar to this too.

Vaude Taurus Ultralight is one of the favourites for this sort of thing, 1.95kg and very durable.

And 2 man tent for bikers...

Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2 xt to fit your bike in...the options are endless. 
Vang Spirit 200+ - extra storage space and very affordable.

Gizerd's right saying that it's often more weight-efficient to take a larger tent and share the weight and there are some incredibly light 4 man tents about.  I suppose it comes down to Weight vs Space/Privacy/Snoring Volume.

Anyway, let us know what you want or if you're still struggling, post to the forum more specific information (size of packs, whether you need space for your bike, more specific weight constraints, seasons, etc).

Ben

"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

yetanotherben

« Reply #6 on: 15:21:23, 12/06/08 »

Ooh and the MSR Micro Zoid (not as new as the Hubba HP's but still very well regarded!)

Summer joke of the day:

Q: What did the pig say at the beach on a hot summer's day?
A: I'm bacon!
"Walking is man's best medicine..."
Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

"Walking is man's and woman's best medicine..." or should it be "Walking is men's and women's best medicine..."???
Ben (1983 AD - Present Day)

http://www.cheaptents.com [nofollow] - Camping Equipment & Outdoor Shop

Mr Sam

« Reply #7 on: 20:34:28, 12/06/08 »
Velcro...

What a rip off
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy