Author Topic: Tent footprints  (Read 1253 times)

Mr Sam

Tent footprints
« on: 21:18:37, 30/06/08 »
After using my Duolite for the first time at Fisherground (it was raining) this weekend I noticed that the porch does not have a groundsheet. The tent footprint which would act as a groundsheet for the porch as well as protect the ground sheet for the inner but is a bit pricey for what it is. Should I just fork out for one or can I get away with making my own? 
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

blighter

Re: Tent footprints
« Reply #1 on: 00:25:40, 01/07/08 »
Blacks and Millets sell PVC groundsheets in three different sizes for a few quid....

muymalestado

« Reply #2 on: 14:25:04, 01/07/08 »
Our 'footprint' is an old, heavy, totally waterproof and pebbleproof shower curtain which does some of the porch stuff as well.  Been workin fine for at least 10 years, but no use for carrying very far.
I think this next one will be the top ...

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:18:48, 01/07/08 »
I use nothing more than a black bin bag for when I need to kneel or sit in the porch of my solo tent!
It costs little, weighs nothing, and doubles as something in which to put the flysheet when it's soaking wet, either when I'm carrying it in my rucksack or when I come home with it in the back of my car.  After the end of the trip it goes in the bin.
The disadvantage is that they're a bit too flimsy for a makeshift groundsheet, as it's a job to keep them flat and where you want them on grass, and the wind catches them too.  Maybe a stronger plastic sack would be preferable. 

Mr Sam

« Reply #4 on: 22:32:30, 01/07/08 »
I found a large roll of plastic sheeting in my garage. About the same thickness as a rubble sack. I think I'll have a go using that. Is it worth me using pegs and eyelets to hold it down. If i'm carefull and not put the inner over them?

Edit: I just spent the last hour making one using six pegs cut to length, that plastic sheeting and roll of gaffa tape (is there anything it can't fix). I think it turned out quite well although it weights a hefty 500g.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy