Author Topic: Trains  (Read 817 times)

msl48335

Trains
« on: 20:08:34, 23/03/12 »
I know I need to make my reservation for the train from Manchester to St Bee's and have seen two routes mentioned. If my flight comes in late and I miss the train is there a way to transfer to another train or do I lose my money and start over? I will schedule it later than I am supposed to arrive but last time I came the airline really screwed things up and I was really late coming in. I was being met by a friend then so the train didn't come into play. Thanks! :)

C2C10

• Veteran Member
Re: Trains
« Reply #1 on: 20:45:42, 23/03/12 »
This link might be of some help. Beware of advance tickets.  http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/

msl48335

« Reply #2 on: 20:59:33, 23/03/12 »
This link might be of some help. Beware of advance tickets.  http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/

What should I be aware of???

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:48:03, 23/03/12 »
If you buy an advance ticket, it's for a particular train and particular connections. If you get on the wrong train, you'll have to pay the full fare which can be significantly higher (My best deal is Montrose to Durham next May for £6.45. the full fare is over £100, so it's best not to miss that train.)
You can save large amounts of money with advance tickets and get very cheap upgrades to first class, but if you miss the train and it's not the rail system's fault, then you're financially stuffed.
The ticketing system is very complicated and often quite illogical - when I was searching for Montrose-Durham trains, at one point the fare to King's Cross from Montrose was just £11, whereas the much shorter trip to Durham on the same train was over £80 and I wasn't allowed to get a ticket to King's Cross and get off at Durham (!) . A few days later, East Coast trains started selling very cheap tickets.
It's madness. Good luck with it!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:53:43, 23/03/12 »
A 'normal' ticket bought on the day is about £50 ($80) but an advance ticket can be much cheaper but has the draw back that you can only use it on the train you have booked.
Are you flying in and catching the train up to St Bees on the same day?

msl48335

« Reply #5 on: 23:05:46, 23/03/12 »
Yes, I think we arrive at 7:40. Someone said there was a slower train, direct or a faster one through Carlisle, I think. We decided on the slower one...if that is a good idea.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy