Author Topic: Killhope Wheel to Kielder Dam  (Read 1123 times)

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
Killhope Wheel to Kielder Dam
« on: 12:26:27, 28/02/20 »
Have just completed my day walks from the Durham/Cumbria border, above Killhope Wheel down the Weardale Way to Sunderland, along coast to South Shields, up Tyne Way to source of South Tyne, back to Warden to join North Tyne Way up to Kielder Water. Absolutely brilliant walk, people met (so many stories heard) and fantastic scenery.
As my Pennine Way walks have taken me north of Byrness I can see a route linking Byrness to Deadwater (the source of the North Tyne Way), wondering if anyone has attempted this?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Killhope Wheel to Kielder Dam
« Reply #1 on: 16:27:52, 28/02/20 »
I have just plotted a route that is shy of 24km using the bridleway that runs SW from Catcleugh Reservoir via Kielderhead and East Kielder to Hall Knowe to pick up roads and paths to join the Tyne Trail up to Deadwater.  I do not know if this is the route you had in mind but the worrying thing is the bridleway is invisible in the aerial imagery for the greater part of its length.  Local advice would be a good idea.
Solvitur Ambulando

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:07:34, 06/03/20 »
I did this the other way around whilst walking the Border from Carlisle to Berwick a few years ago.  I camped at the campsite at Kielder and, having some foot pain, decided that the bridleway from Kielder to Byrness would be easier than walking on the ridge on the next day. This turned out to be wrong (!) The bridleway gets rougher and rougher and would be impossible for anybody on a horse or a bike. There's a river crossing and deep bracken on steep slopes and I was a bit grumpy by the time I turned up at the hostel (as it was) at Byrness. They soon cheered me up, however and I continued towards Berwick. A year or so later, on halloween as it happened, I filled in the gap on the Border ridge that I'd missed and found the going boggy but much easier. I camped near Carlin Tooth and continued past Carter Bar, descending to Byrness from the North-East on a forestry road that handrails a bridleway which is impossible to follow due to forestry. I returned to Kielder the next day on the toll road, (to be met by a police lady who told me that somebody had reported my car abandoned and that I'd gone into the forest to top myself (!))
Anyway, the point is that following the Border fence along the ridge is much easier than the bridleway and much more fun. I would advise, though, not to descend to the Kielder Stone as its very rough around there. Keep to the ridge to Deadwater Fell. There's an old railway line from Kielder to Deadwater itself. Its just a sloppy walk, but pretty straightforward.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:31:29, 06/03/20 »
Thanks Mike...... There's always a tale to be told on a walking adventure!

I forgot about the Kielder Toll road.... my tale from this road....

Coming back from Scottish Borders, from my Mams birthday trip out, there was a helicopter in the middle of the road! A motorcyclist had crashed into a stone wall, helicopter called to transport rider to hospital, unfortunately it had broken down! Couldn't get past so ended going along Kielder Toll Road in a three week old car!

As an old rallying fan spent many days and nights wandering through forest tracks around here, not the easiest tracks to follow, especially during logging!

Yeah I walked along old railway track to/from Deadwater doing North Tyne Way, the farm near Deadwater had been sold due to land becoming too bogey for sheep, new owner apparently was going to plant trees in all the old fields, which is going to grammatically transform the place.

Hope you're still in good health, and sound mind!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy