Author Topic: Fancy a stroll around the coast of Britain  (Read 2128 times)

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
Fancy a stroll around the coast of Britain
« on: 21:28:19, 17/08/18 »

I met Chris Shipley yesterday on the Starcross to Exmouth Ferry. I was on my way to lead a group walking 6 miles along the Exe Estuary but Chris was nearing the end of a run around the coast of Britain carrying his camping gear and raising money for the charity Scope. He had already run over 4,000 miles and more details are at http://chriscoastrun.co.uk/

He runs between 20 and 40 miles a day and I reckon his rucksack weighed around 12kg. He uses the OS map ap on his smartphone to plan his daily routes. He has been running for nearly 6 months and has had about  8 days rest due to ill health.

What an inspiration for young people willing to test themselves to extremes and raise money for a good cause.

For those on holiday in this area the walk from Exmouth to Topsham along the Exe Estuary is beautiful with no stiles or hills and a few nice pubs along the way!

Regards Keith

Dantheman

Re: Fancy a stroll around the coast of Britain
« Reply #1 on: 15:22:12, 26/08/18 »
I am 44 years old, I recently walked on my own from Milton Keynes to Edinburgh, it took me 13 days so I was averaging 30 miles a day...It was summer, I slept rough, no tent and wore canvas deck shoes. I am planning to walk around the UK coast it will take approx a year and I am looking for advise, sponsorship, and companions to join me over sections or maybe complete trek  ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 01:13:08, 27/08/18 »
Where do you lucky folk find the time?

Ronin83

« Reply #3 on: 09:49:34, 27/08/18 »
I am 44 years old, I recently walked on my own from Milton Keynes to Edinburgh, it took me 13 days so I was averaging 30 miles a day...It was summer, I slept rough, no tent and wore canvas deck shoes. I am planning to walk around the UK coast it will take approx a year and I am looking for advise, sponsorship, and companions to join me over sections or maybe complete trek  ...

Good luck finding people....u nutter.
Haha.

Dantheman

« Reply #4 on: 11:50:39, 27/08/18 »
I have suffered most of my life from depression and have been unable to keep a full time job and have lost my family...I have found walking has given me a goal and freedom from the black dog..I do some short contract work and earn enough for the trip....I recently did a tandem skydive for the charity mind and will try to raise money on this walk...

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:56:23, 27/08/18 »
I have suffered most of my life from depression and have been unable to keep a full time job and have lost my family...I have found walking has given me a goal and freedom from the black dog..I do some short contract work and earn enough for the trip....I recently did a tandem skydive for the charity mind and will try to raise money on this walk...

O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ronin83

« Reply #6 on: 12:16:04, 27/08/18 »

Blimey. All I can say is fair play, thats some tough trekking. You seem to have found your niche.
Please keep us updated, would be interesting to find you and walk a day with you or something. You'll probs have better luck with finding people joining you for different bits rather than the whole thing

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:19:49, 27/08/18 »

Sorry to hear about your past troubles Dantheman, but glad that you have found a way to combat the depression; I certainly know that walking is great for stress relief.

I wish you all the best. R.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:06:18, 27/08/18 »
Best wishes for your coastal walk, Dantheman
Walking is indeed a good way to help alleviate depression

Dantheman

« Reply #9 on: 17:45:39, 07/11/18 »
I started my walk at Southwold pier at 10 oclock on the 10/10/2018 in support of international mental health awareness day...I have just past the 400 mile mark and I am in Kent...I am guerrilla camping with a bivouac to keep costs down...All has been well except the weight of equipment on my back so I dumped 4kg and find it much easier...My friend has set up a website for me  danwalksthecoast  if you are interested check it out...There are some pics and links..cheers Dan

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:00:12, 07/11/18 »
Hi Dan - just had a look at your site and the fb link - some cracking pictures - good luck with this.

Dantheman

« Reply #11 on: 18:15:53, 07/11/18 »
Thanks pdstsp there are loads more but waiting upload.. Hopefully I will have a photographic history of my walk...Hope I make it..I think I will have a break at xmas if I can get to Brighton and get a train to Milton Keynes..I have had 2 nights in airbnb so far and a couple of freebie stays with very kind people I met on the way..Dan

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:00:20, 07/11/18 »
I have suffered most of my life from depression and have been unable to keep a full time job and have lost my family...I have found walking has given me a goal and freedom from the black dog

Best of luck with your journey, Dan O0
Not all those who wander are lost

Dantheman

« Reply #13 on: 19:39:45, 07/11/18 »
Thanks Strider..  Dan

astaman

« Reply #14 on: 22:00:02, 07/11/18 »
Good luck with your walk Dantheman. Like many others I've had occasion to take the black dog for a walk so know its therapeutic value. Enjoy the time when it comes.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy