Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276210 times)

titch22

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #990 on: 19:00:53, 12/02/20 »
Took advantage of the fair weather window and did a local walk. Scunthorpe upto Normanby Park. Ok, so only 9 miles, return but I enjoyed it. The icing on the cake was hearing the loud 'tap, tap' of a woodpecker in the park grounds. Couldn't see it, but did spot a tree creeper.

watershed

« Reply #991 on: 20:52:51, 12/02/20 »
Did my favourite walk today, from Collafirth hill to Stonga banks, Over Ronas Hill which was covered with snow. Then along to Lang Clodie Wick. All the five 70 - 80 metre waterfalls were blowing backwords due to the Westerly wind, they were powerful after the last few days rain . I then cut inland, visiting the waterfall at Birka Water, then back up the Northern ridge of Mid Field before contouring around back to Collafirth. Only 11.2 miles with 742 metres ascent but superb wild walking. Plenty of birds including 5 whooper swans, 2 woodcock and 9 White hares.
I visited Lang Clodie Wick last week in the opposite direction following a different route, but the low sun tends to be in your eyes for a big part of the trip ( Still brilliant though)

titch22

« Reply #992 on: 07:01:21, 13/02/20 »
White hares....how amazing. Been on the watch for those in the Peak district recently, without success. The wildlife on your walk must have lifted your spirits and delighted you.

titch22

« Reply #993 on: 08:25:34, 16/02/20 »
Across the Humber Bridge. Mixture of buses and walking from Scunthorpe to Cottingham.  Only because its over 20 years ago that I last did it. Enjoyed the 8 miles.
[nofollow]
« Last Edit: 15:56:44, 16/02/20 by titch22 »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #994 on: 14:56:28, 16/02/20 »
On Friday we did a 3.5 mile walk at Thornham Walks in North Suffolk in anticipation of the storms this weekend. Masses of snowdrops

titch22

« Reply #995 on: 10:19:56, 24/02/20 »

Leeds and Liverpool canal... Abram to Wigan...a trip down memory lane for me. Wigan Pier shrouded in scaffolding so no photo.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #996 on: 10:59:13, 24/02/20 »
Will be doing my usual 6 miles around The Loe sometime, and around Tihidy Woods.
Depending on time, I shall probably do a small part of the SWCP, there is a bit down my way I need to fill in.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #997 on: 14:45:08, 24/02/20 »
.....anywhere that’s not currently under water! :o :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #998 on: 13:27:35, 25/02/20 »
I am quite cross. At the weekend I pencilled in today to go for a walk but I postponed it when what was originally a favourable forecast was changed to one for rain and sleet showers. So far it has been a lovely day with light cloud, occasional sunshine, a light breeze and not too cold. Right now I can see nothing threatening as far as the horizon. Grrrr!

UPDATE: The clouds had thickened and darkened by 16:00 and the first rain was at 16:30.
With a westerly wind it would have started raining earlier where was going to walk, but I reckon I would have finished by then.
Meanwhile, the forecsast for my next choice of day has since changed to "heavy rain". Sod's law!
« Last Edit: 18:10:20, 25/02/20 by fernman »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #999 on: 15:48:05, 25/02/20 »
I nearly made it out this morning, lovely and sunny but still windy, but I had things to do and people to see, so by the time I was ready, it was pouring hard so I changed my mind!!

I'm now worried that I left my Lowe Alpine hat on the bus yesterday, I can't find it anywhere!

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1000 on: 16:37:03, 25/02/20 »
I made it out lunchtime, was sunny, windy, rain and hail.  And cold, 4°C.
Did my usual walk around The Loe.  Cafe wasn't open, which was a bit of a downer.
The view from the cafe bench is below.
https://ibb.co/92wSxjS

watershed

« Reply #1001 on: 20:15:26, 25/02/20 »
I have been in Scotland over the weekend visiting my oldest sons in Aberdeen and Edinburgh where they are studying at University. So I ate a lot and didn't walk much except a few hours in the Scottish national Museum (Fantastic).
I have had two walks since I came back. One of 7.5 miles on the roads yesterday, and today just before dark up Ronas Hill in the snow. It was only 4.5 miles but had the delight of coming across a female Snowy Owl. She sat still watching me for five minutes before eventually heading off. It is nearly exactly a year to today that I spotted it last. That was the first Shetland spotting of a Snowy Owl in years. I have had 2 sightings of male snowy Owls since then up here, 1 in March and 1 in November. The local Bird expert says it is looking hopeful that they may stay and breed. Superb news. That last happened in the 70's. If I can suss this photo lark I would post some photo's. Maybe when my boys come home they can help the old fool!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1002 on: 22:23:52, 25/02/20 »
Oh you lucky sod seeing the Snowy Owls.  They are magnificent.  I'm almost certain I saw one a good few years ago now local to me (so it would be a rare sighting).  It was feasting on road kill and far too big and far too white to be a Barn Owl.  When it took off it's wingspan was pretty impressive too.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1003 on: 22:42:37, 25/02/20 »
I got so side-tracked by Snowy Owls I forgot to mention that I've been (just for a change) doing local walks these past couple of nights.  Thought I'd spice things up a bit tonight though by doing some new gear testing... because pavement pounding in the dark, on the flat and at about 12 foot above sea level is very similar to hill walking, in daylight, at a few hundred or so feet above sea level  :-\

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1004 on: 07:34:58, 26/02/20 »
because pavement pounding in the dark, on the flat and at about 12 foot above sea level is very similar to hill walking, in daylight, at a few hundred or so feet above sea level  :-\
I walked across a sandbar yesterday against the wind, seemed harder than the climb at the end of it, where the wind miraculously vanished.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy