Author Topic: Which walk would you want to do all over again?  (Read 4818 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Which walk would you want to do all over again?
« Reply #45 on: 12:16:31, 28/01/20 »
I liked the Pennine Journey, except when I camped on Hexham race course, cold, bleak, windy place!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 23:28:29, 30/01/20 »
If it's walks that you want to do again because they didn't work out right the first time then mine would be the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in NZ.  Flew all the way across the world just to walk and climb in horizontal driving drizzle and didn't see much of the volcano at all, just smelt it.
Next time climb Ruapehu up to the lake.  It's a powerful sight knowing the thing is active and has simply emptied into the sky in recent history.  Having said that next time we visit the crossing is on the to do list,

rambling minster

« Reply #47 on: 12:31:23, 04/02/20 »
I've been thinking of hiking the St Cuthberts route from end to end, from Melrose to Holy Island. I enjoyed the section that I did last year from Kirk Yetholme to Melrose, it's on my list to do this year. Not sure yet if I will, or just stick to a 'down South' path?

St Cuthbert's Way is a great walk and I would heartily recommend it. There were a few sections with a little too much tarmac for my liking, but they were largely on very quiet country roads.

The Scottish section from Melrose to Kirk Yetholm is slightly better than the English side of the border (in my opinion, anyway), but the final walk across the pilgrim's path to Lindisfarne is something you'll never forget.

GordonHorwich

« Reply #48 on: 13:55:01, 05/02/20 »
I would love to the GR10 again, but then I would also like to try the Spanish GR11, the GR5 and possibly the HRP. In the UK I've never done the Pennine Way - maybe I should, having seen many on their way in my two summers as assistant warden at Crowden YH, back in my youth,

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 14:20:11, 05/02/20 »
Come to think about it, i was pretty impressed with my circumnavigation around the entire island of Barra, in the Outer Hebrides.
There was a road running around its entire circumference, a distance of just a little over thirteen miles, which i followed from start to finish.

The inhabitants were extremely friendly, and even though the island has a very small population, and beaches to rival any in the Mediterranean, it had a fairly hilly topography, ideal for a weeks adventure.

The thing i really liked about the island, was its back to the 1960s atmosphere, nobody was in a hurry, and a very peaceful existence.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy