Author Topic: unofficial montane spine/challenger  (Read 27391 times)

Yorkshiremarv

unofficial montane spine/challenger
« on: 10:23:48, 01/01/20 »
Seems rather quiet about these great races!
 Whilst out in hills above malham tarn t'other weekend(mon 16th) the wife and I saw a male who was all kitted out and moving very well across the fields before crossing the road and heading up(what must be a diversion route to avoid tennant gill farm) fountains fell, there was plenty of footprints to follow in the snow, surely a spine recce?! cant wait to get out to where ever and watch/cheer on all heroes! Any stories on who's entering?  O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: unofficial montane spine/challenger
« Reply #1 on: 10:47:15, 01/01/20 »
There are a lot of recces going on, and have been over the last few months, so you might very well have seen a potential spinner.  As many of you here will know I was hoping to be on the Challenger this year, but after my accident in the Lakes pulled out as I felt I wouldn't have had enough time to get fully Spine fit, so I will be dot watching again.
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:35:31, 01/01/20 »
The list of entrants for the Spine that starts on Sunday 12th January is here:-
https://thespinerace.com/rosters
I haven't spotted the tracking system yet. 
The Challenger one starts the day before i.e. Saturday 11th January.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:58:07, 01/01/20 »
The list of entrants for the Spine that starts on Sunday 12th January is here:-
https://thespinerace.com/rosters
I haven't spotted the tracking system yet. 
The Challenger one starts the day before i.e. Saturday 11th January.
What?

Bookmarked that page.

As if I haven't got enough to do already. Sitting dot watching for all those hours!

Pity you were not able to make it as a contestant Sussamb, are you doing any stewarding?
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:59:11, 01/01/20 »
Nope, would have liked to but taking 2 weeks away in March to do the C2C so unable to fit in the Spine as well  :(, especially as we just moved house before Christmas  ;D
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:28:20, 01/01/20 »
Ah well, dot watching for you too.
House move coming up for us this year hopefully. First my own personal marathon, finishing off all the jobs I should have done ages ago so house can be finished just as we want it to be, before we put it on market. 🤔 Will miss my Allotment  and our great neighbours more than the house.

Then hopefully a move back up home.

But a wee bit of time watching true heroes will be satisfying enough. May try and get out to actually see them live.

Too little, too late, too bad......

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:26:59, 01/01/20 »
Once the race is about to start there will be more interest in it. Do we know if anyone from the forum is doing it this year? We need someone to follow! It doesn’t look like Jasmin Paris is defending her title.
I’ve just realised that now I’m retired, work won’t get in the way of dot-watching!  ;D

One F

« Reply #7 on: 20:47:54, 01/01/20 »
A quick glance through the list of entrants:-

Spine Race - 3 past winners (I think) at least; Tom Hollins; Eoin Keith and Eugenie Roselli Sole.

MRT Challenger event has 2 of the local MRT (Cave Rescue Organisation) entering as well as David Dixon, who some may recall from years past as he posted on here as 'Dixie' and is a previous entrant, and completer, of the full Spine race.

Spine Challenger has another local interest, so I'll be watching the dot of Estelle Mortimer ...............

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:07:46, 02/01/20 »
We need someone to follow! It doesn’t look like Jasmin Paris is defending her title.

Sabrina Verjee is the one to watch.She holds the current women's record for the Pennine Way (3 days 10 hours) set last year when she won the Spine summer race.She finished in second place in the Dragon's Back race and also holds the women's winter record for the Bob Graham Round so she ticks all the right boxes.

Eoin should be favourite for the men's race and I doubt if Eugeni will even see the finish especially if he tries staying with Sabrina.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #9 on: 21:05:06, 03/01/20 »
I look forward to seeing how wouter houtzing(hope thats the correct spelling) gets on! he has done the challenger a few times and was the record holder a few years ago. the long range weather forecast looks like quite mild weather, no doubt be wet and muddy and soft but times should be good, doubt the record gets bettered tho! Cant wait tho, will be in edale on sat morn for the challenger start and follow that as far as possible before been back in edale for the spine start and should get in 3 spots!! O0 O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

tonyk

• Veteran Member

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:57:51, 06/01/20 »
It pleases my daughter that the Spine site now lists the overall record and then the men's record.

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #12 on: 19:12:38, 06/01/20 »
It pleases my daughter that the Spine site now lists the overall record and then the men's record.

O0 O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

Yorkshiremarv

"if in doubt, flat out"

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:55:20, 06/01/20 »
Sickening,isn't it. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy