Author Topic: OS Maps app on Samsung smartphones  (Read 842 times)

Beverley Callaghan

OS Maps app on Samsung smartphones
« on: 12:16:31, 23/04/20 »
I'm struggling to get the OS Maps app to record anything more than 0.4 of a mile on both my Samsung Galaxy J5 and an older Galaxy Ace 4 smartphones. I also have the Viewranger app on both phones which seems to work well on both, although I had to change some battery and app settings (to allow the app to get detailed GPS location data, stop the battery putting it to sleep etc.) for the newer J5 phone to get it to do this. I like the Viewranger app but it irks me that I have to buy OS map tiles for Viewranger when I can get them free of charge through my premium subscription to OS Maps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Maps app on Samsung smartphones
« Reply #1 on: 13:01:22, 23/04/20 »
Welcome to the forum from a hot and sunny Devon.

I have experienced the same thing with a Samsung J7.  It could not run the OS and ViewRanger concurrently.  They seemed to fight over the gps and VR usually won.  I could run one or the other.  There is a thread about it in the Gear section.

I have an A50 now and they both work like a charm
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:02:57, 23/04/20 »
I don't know the current difference in price, but you could drop the premium subscription to OS and start a premium subscription to Viewranger to get all the map tiles you want.
I don't personally like subscription services for things I'll use multiple times. I got a the VR premium for a trip to France so I could get proper maps as they didn't sell those by the tile. But generally on VR, I've been fine with those I bought initially* (which have more than been paid off) and the odd extra tile for other holidays.

* I bought some classic packs like the Lake District and Dartmoor, then they did me some custom area packs like around my house and other places I often visit.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

GoneWest

« Reply #3 on: 15:10:23, 23/04/20 »
I, too, prefer to put "whole" offline maps on my phone, rather than messing around with fiddly caching, then finding out you haven't actually brought some of the bits with you. As I always have the relevant paper map with me, the OS Maps App used to be  no-brainer, as you could download what you bought and use it in the App, as well, for no extra charge. Since OS ruined all that by wrecking their own App, I've taken to buying swathes of OS maps separately for Viewranger, usually at 1:50000, which is  better IMO on a small device and is a reasonably cheap option, while carrying the appropriate 1:25000 paper map(s) with me.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:11:20, 23/04/20 »
I, too, prefer to put "whole" offline maps on my phone, rather than messing around with fiddly caching, then finding out you haven't actually brought some of the bits with you. As I always have the relevant paper map with me, the OS Maps App used to be  no-brainer, as you could download what you bought and use it in the App, as well, for no extra charge. Since OS ruined all that by wrecking their own App, I've taken to buying swathes of OS maps separately for Viewranger, usually at 1:50000, which is  better IMO on a small device and is a reasonably cheap option, while carrying the appropriate 1:25000 paper map(s) with me.
  I have a different way of working.  I plan walks normally using the OS website.  I save the route on the OS site and favourite it - that gets it on the app on my phone automatically.  All I have to do then is go to the route on my phone and select save a map for off line use.  For ViewRanger, I export the route from the OS website as a gpx file and import it on into ViewRanger on my phone and again save a map for offline.  I do not bother with OS mapping on VR,  I have the route and VR's own map is good enough.  If I need a "proper" map I have the OS app.  I have never had any use for 50000 mapping.  If I need a paper map, I print it off on A4 sheets and put it in the recycling when I am done.
I used to use my Garmin as my primary navigation tool using a route plotted on BaseCamp or the OS mapping site with my phone as a back up but since lockdown, my Garmin has not left the house and I have done my exploration on phone alone.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy