Author Topic: pennine way  (Read 26725 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: pennine way
« Reply #60 on: 22:03:38, 21/04/21 »
I'd like to do the Pennine Way again myself this year, south to north because when or if I get to Kirk Yetholm I really fancy walking onward from there via the St. Cuthberts Way to finish at Holy Island. From there I can get to Berwick to catch the train South. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't find an excuse not to make the effort.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 16:17:09, 22/04/21 »
I have also walked it twice S>N but I think I would miss seeing many of the same walkers in the evening going the other way.

On the plus side I should meet many more heading t'other way  O0
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 17:55:30, 20/05/21 »
I'm sorry but I can't remember who it was but a Forum member is due to start hiking the Penning Way from tomorrow. Good luck and I hope you have some good weather.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 08:06:49, 21/05/21 »
I'm sorry but I can't remember who it was but a Forum member is due to start hiking the Penning Way from tomorrow. Good luck and I hope you have some good weather.

It was Sevenup. :)

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=42136.0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 11:31:32, 21/05/21 »
How are you doing Sevenup, are you at the start yet? Are you planning to hike from today or start tomorrow?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 13:14:52, 21/05/21 »
How are you doing Sevenup, are you at the start yet? Are you planning to hike from today or start tomorrow?

According to his last post, he is travelling to Edale today and starting tomorrow.

Good luck, Sevenup  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 13:22:51, 21/05/21 »
Good decision not to start today if the weather in Edale is anything like it is here in Liverpool - it's awful.  Enjoy, Sevenup.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 13:44:08, 21/05/21 »
Only sensible place to be on the PW today is inside a warm pub!
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 11:33:12, 22/05/21 »
I took the time to study the UK's railway routes yesterday. When I drive up to the start of the Pennine Way, I'm also going to grab the opportunity to visit a couple of friends of ours in Milton Keynes. When I make my return home I thought it would be best to catch a train from Berwick-upon-Tweed to Sheffield and then make my way back to my parked car but now I don't think it is? The better route seems to be to go to Manchester, then get back to my car and it appears to be cheaper as well. In June about £23.60 on Split Tickets.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 11:06:35, 24/05/21 »
Re: Hiking the Pennine Way.
I plan to arrive at Edale late afternoon of 27th May, camp overnight, and start to hike early the next morning. After well over a full year off and being one year older I am not entirely sure now about my capabilities, which is why I'm explaining this, knowing that you all know about my hike will be an incentive for me to keep going.

I've unthreaded the skirt around my quilt because I thought of a better way of adding warmth to it. I now have a 90 x 126cm thermal blanket (weighs very little) which will be across my torso and under the top of my quilt, a mid-layer in fact. I'll see how that works, it worked well last night when I tried it out in my garden.

I've used my quilt for a number of years and when I now hold it up to a light, I can plainly see that a lot of down has moved from one baffle 'tube' and I don't have the knowledge in how to move it back. There are 5 baffles 'tubes' that cover my torso, three are fine, fully filled with down, one is a bit less filled and one 'tube' is almost empty.

Apart from my quilt everything else is fine. I'll be taking my tent, I'm not sure I could cope with a bivvy and tarp for over three weeks and I plan to wild camp for much of the route but I'll go on a site if the price is right, £10 a night or less!

Crossing my fingers that all of the pubs and restaurants are open and stay open, I don't plan to be 'tight-fisted' on my trip!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 11:24:47, 24/05/21 »
Enjoy your walk, gwm, and good luck.  O0

Good call to take the tent, in my opinion - you have no way of knowing what the weather will be doing in a couple of weeks time.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 11:58:14, 24/05/21 »
Yes enjoy yourself Reg - I hope you keep us posted if you get a chance.  Hopefully the weather will start to improve too. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 12:03:14, 24/05/21 »
I wish you lots of fun, fair weather and pray god, you are never greeted with that fateful phrase "Have you booked?" at any of the pubs you try to eat at.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 12:20:08, 24/05/21 »
The good thing for me about the recent wet and windy weather is that I have been able to fully test my clothing and equipment at home and close to home.

My final decision before I set off on Thursday is to decide if I will hike in my Salomon Ultra X boots or in my Berghaus Superlite's? I've discovered that my Salomon boots leak in both boots around my small toe areas, my big toe areas, and the rest of my feet have stayed dry. As far as I know, my Berghaus boots are not leaking? I'm going to test them again this afternoon and maybe again tomorrow.

My preference is to hike in the Salomon's (they just have the edge on internal heat comfort management) but I'm just not sure yet?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 12:22:34, 24/05/21 »
Thanks, Ninthace, that possibility slipped my mind. My hipflask (full) will definitely journey with me, just in case.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy