Author Topic: A relative of mine died on Nov 3rd 1917 at Ypres.  (Read 475 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've walked the GR138 route from Calais to Ypres in 2016 and stayed for the Nov 11th commemorations. I started to read the online newspapers tonight and came across the following article.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/21/uk-inquiry-blames-pervasive-racism-for-unequal-commemoration-of-black-and-asian-troops

It reminded me of when I visited my relatives grave at Poperinge I saw a BBC cameraman filming by a small set (about 10) of headstones set apart from the rest of them. I wandered over (I was nosey!) and he told me he was making a documentary about Chinese origin people who fought and died there but were not considered to be worthy to be buried amongst the rest of the nationalities there. I've never seen the documentary, I've always assumed it was shelved?

That memory was well into the back of my mind until I read this article today.

Amazing what comes out of the woodwork over 100 years later.

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: A relative of mine died on Nov 3rd 1917 at Ypres.
« Reply #1 on: 22:17:57, 21/04/21 »
The most interesting person in my family tree was my great grandfather who was a Royal Marine. Signed up in 1884 and retired as a Colour Sergeant after 25 years service in 1909. He was also a musketry instructor and, we believe, one of the regimental sharpshooters. Has anyone heard of the Marine 8? It’s a tale that goes round the family but google draws a blank.

He was called back up at Christmas 1914, Chatham barracks, and killed at Gallipoli in April 2015. We have his medals, the telegram from the King and copies of the programmes from the opening of the memorials at Gallipoli/The Dardanelles. We also have a silver topped cane has was presented by the regiment.

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: A relative of mine died on Nov 3rd 1917 at Ypres.
« Reply #2 on: 23:51:30, 21/04/21 »
Has anyone heard of the Marine 8?

What is it?

Not all those who wander are lost

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy