Author Topic: Have you noticed more walkers?  (Read 2230 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Have you noticed more walkers?
« Reply #15 on: 21:34:10, 16/06/20 »
I didn't think that I had noticed that many more people once I was away from our local country park and in to the countryside proper. That was until yesterday when I had someone ask me how to open a gate,yes really. It was one with a latch on one side of the gate and the bolt that clips in to it being sprung and having a long handle. If you look at Beefy's video http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=40457.msg584288;topicseen#msg584288 you see them go through one.
After I had offered instruction from 2m away he said that they were 'from the city'.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #16 on: 12:41:33, 17/06/20 »
What I have noticed is a lot of the new walkers are not aware of the countryside code.  A lot of dogs off leash where notices are there saying  not to. Theres a lot if litter left about too. It's a shame as all walkers will be tarred with the same brush. I've given a few lost walkers directions as they were lost using an app called strava . Where I was yesterday there is no mobile signal for a good 1/2 mile. Also it's unfair on mountain rescue as you do need the proper footwear or you could have an accident.  The area I was get a lot of call outs due to broken legs and twisted ankles. How they manage in trainers and sandals is beyond me.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:19:01, 18/06/20 »
I've given a few lost walkers directions as they were lost using an app called strava.
I had a family group yesterday.  I was on Green Bridge in Richmond.  They said they wanted to do a walk about 5 miles, along the river, and did I know of any?  I was happy to direct them along a well used and posted walk, where it would be difficult to get lost.  But now, thinking about it.  Why did they arrive without checking out the walks beforehand?  They did seem to be kitted out otherwise. They mentioned strava.  I've looked it up but can't quite work out what it is? It seems to be a running app?

And thanks everybody for your replies.  It seems to be the consensus from yourselves and the various wildlife/countryside trusts that a lot of people are out walking as a result of the lockdown.  The wildlife/countryside trusts hope that as a result, more young people will come to appreciate the outdoors and take enough interest to start looking after it.  Fingers crossed.

I hope they do.  But I also hope they don't walk along the same paths I do, cos I like the peace n quiet.  :D ;D ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:00:35, 18/06/20 »
I hope they do.  But I also hope they don't walk along the same paths I do, cos I like the peace n quiet.  :D ;D ;D
I hope they stay off the paths I walk along as well. Walking isn’t much fun with crowds.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #19 on: 23:31:55, 18/06/20 »
I hope they stay off the paths I walk along as well. Walking isn’t much fun with crowds.
I've also noticed that some don't social distance. I had this issue the other night. A group of people walking down a path all spread out. I moved over to the very edge and still they did not move. I basically let my dog leash out 2m and they moved.  I've started to do this now on people who won't maintain a safe distance.

holly

« Reply #20 on: 10:34:22, 19/06/20 »
I've also noticed that some don't social distance. I had this issue the other night. A group of people walking down a path all spread out. I moved over to the very edge and still they did not move. I basically let my dog leash out 2m and they moved.  I've started to do this now on people who won't maintain a safe distance.
I've definitely noticed this, as well as the fact that people are out in the obvious places.  I parked up at Mam Nick on Monday morning, and headed off west along Rushup Edge to Brown Knoll - I saw maybe six people in about an hour and a half on the way out, although on the way back there were perhaps four or five small groups walking the other way, NONE of which saw fit to step off the path before I did.  In fairness, the flagstone path up there is to protect the peat and it's probably better for just me than the three or four of them to walk off the path, so I didn't mind doing that.  But a) I would have appreciated at least an acknowledgement and b) I could have done without the guy on his own that said "have I got the lurgy?".  Walking back over Lord's Seat I counted around 30-40 people on and on the way up Mam Tor, so it's worth heading in the less well known direction.

In the fields around our village we've noticed far more people out walking, particularly late into the evenings where in more normal times we certainly wouldn't ever encounter anyone else.  But I think it's kind of nice that people are getting out and discovering what's around them. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy