Author Topic: Pyrenees  (Read 3923 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Pyrenees
« Reply #15 on: 19:36:50, 31/03/20 »
Not as far as I know. Superbagnores was a really odd place, it was the beginning of August and it was closed and like a ghost town, a very strange experience! Reminded me of such places in Western films.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:45:56, 31/03/20 »
Suoerbagneres itself is there just for skiing.  That said, I am fairly sure the gondola runs in July and August ti take tourists up there.  It is the height of the French holiday season.  Luchon itself is primarily a spa town and normally a start or finish point for Le Tour.

(Just checked - the lift runs from the start of July to the start of September)
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:29:33, 04/04/20 »
It has been quiet. Does anyone want to see the rest of the trip or shall I stop there?
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:18:07, 04/04/20 »
Please go on, I love it!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:19:39, 04/04/20 »
Ok but I have to cook dinner first  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:32:50, 04/04/20 »
Deleted
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:53:23, 04/04/20 »
So there I was on top of this mountain, nothing on the clock but the maker's name when ...

GWM, for reference we are on sheet 1848 OT of the IGN maps.  In broader terms, if you look at the Franco-Spanish border as it runs from W to E, about half way along it takes a sharp left and heads N for fair bit before going E again.  This walk is in that corner.

The descent from the summit is the same as the way up, including the traverse using the cable, whic is not that scary on the way back.  I do not have a pictire of it but here is one I found on GE

The descent finished at the pass I came up through so a quick pause for another obligatory picture of the top of the Pyrenees before heading E on the other side of the mountains I came up past.

As I head down, a quick look back at the Pic de Sauvegarde

In this close up, you can just make out the start of the path going up.  It basically zigzags uo the left hand face.

Facing the other way, the route heads down to the col, Port de la Picade

Here you can see the path heading for the pass.  What you cannot see or hear are the marmots.  They live among the rocks and whistle at you.  I did take some pictures but they were far away and a bit grainy.

Close up of the Port de la Picade with the Spanish Pyreness beyond.

After the Port there is another valley leading to a second col called Pas de l'Escalette

Where the route turns N to follow the Spanish border.  This is looking down he left hand side of the valley I have to go down.  All these mountains are French, the border is on the middle of the right hand side of the valley.

The route goes this minor mountain which probably has a name but the writing on the map is unreadable on account of the contour lines, but that mountain behind is the Pic de la Mine again.

Which becomes clearer as I go N on the E side of the valley

Until you can get a decent picture.  The way up was on the far side.

Eventually I get the first sight of the destination (using maximum zoom) but it is still a fair step along the side of the valley.

Coming left, this is a distant view of the valley I set off up about 5 hours ago.

Looking back up the valley I have come down.  Pas de L'Escalette is behind the col on the right hand side of the horizon, the route runs from there along the ridge line to the col to the left of the picture where it drops down the cross the meadows.

Getting near the bottom, looking back up the valley that had the French mountains on the left.  A nice glaciated valley.

And finally down, just beat the weather by the look of it.

Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy