Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 275991 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #630 on: 21:41:55, 21/09/18 »
The secret of walking in this weather DA is like that of good comedy.......................................................................timing.

We managed to slip in a couple of local trips this week between the weather, either circular from the house or catching the bus down the road a ways and then working a route back through the back lanes.
I've got everything battened down outside and fingers crossed.  Should be over by Monday.

PS - not sure road trips count for this thread  :)
It seems today's brighter spell has every one out enjoying the breeze.

I headed out after work at lunch time and had a really good walk out from The Dartmoor Inn, over Great Links, down to Bleak house. Then over kitty tor down to the West Oakment, well in spate today.  Took a run and jump at it having hauled my rucksack over.  Some times I'm glad I was once a decent long jumper. :) .then up to High Willhays, back down to Meldon and straight up Branscombs loaf.  I was planning to head back over great nodden, but I was enjoying the views so much I headed back up to Great Links again before finally retracing my steps back to the car via Brat tor. 

Great walk and definately feeling the benefits of trying to keep up with my son in the Lake district. LoL
« Last Edit: 21:47:39, 21/09/18 by BuzyG »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #631 on: 21:54:59, 21/09/18 »
Sounds like a lovely trip, Sunnydale.  O0  I've never been to that area but everything I've seen and read about it tells me I'm missing out.

A friend I walk with told me how lovely it was around St Abb's and I'm always up for exploring new areas of coast.
I reckon it would be lovely in the Spring adalard! 8)

My cousin and his wife have just been for hols there, perhaps you saw them?

I've got no idea if I saw them or not, being as I haven't got a clue who they are or what they look like!  ;D
Apart from a number of tourists in St Abb's, we barely saw anyone walking the coast path. 8)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #632 on: 10:10:37, 22/09/18 »
Are you sure you dont know what they look like?  ;D ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #633 on: 10:04:30, 23/09/18 »
Are you sure you dont know what they look like?  ;D ;D ;D

Is this a trick question pleb? ???

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #634 on: 10:25:29, 23/09/18 »
I couldn't manage it last week but if all goes well tomorrow (doctors appointment, attend a meeting) I hope to getaway Tuesday morning to Rye, East Sussex and walk for two or three days on the Sussex Border Path and end at the south of Tunbridge Wells. Once I get to the main road that connects Tunbridge Wells to Brighton I'll catch a bus south (I have a bus pass) and make my way home. Or I might hitchhike, I'll decide when I get there. I've just got a hankering to walk through apple, pear and plum orchards and stop off in the pubs en route to drink beer and have, hopefully some good pub meals.

Only one problem as I see it, the camp sites along the way seem to want to charge up to £20 a night just for the patch of 8' x 4'grass that I need. I'm OK at £10 but £20 no chance, I will not pay it!

So I'm going to take my bivi and will just wild camp where I can.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #635 on: 17:17:15, 23/09/18 »

Is this a trick question pleb? ???
:angel: :angel: :angel:
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Rather be walking

« Reply #636 on: 15:07:01, 26/09/18 »
two or three days on the Sussex Border Path

I like the Sussex Border Path, I've completed about half so far, Started at Thorney Island.  :)
I hated the section a round Gatwick airport, skipped most of it :(

I'm currently at Cowden.
Continuing the sections of the walk this autumn, the summer was just too hot!
That's what I'm doing next week. O0

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #637 on: 22:09:30, 26/09/18 »
Leading a group walk tomorrow from Cutthroat Bridge. Heading to Stanage End via Moscar, then along Stanage Edge itself before descending via the path near North Lees.
Lots of lovely bits will follow, before we head up onto Bamford Edge for some of the finest views in the Peaks (IMHO). At the very end of Bamford Edge, we'll skirt round the top of Jarvis Clough and then head up onto Hordron Edge. Not the most exciting of edges...but there's a stone circle up there which should interest one or two members of the group! O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #638 on: 23:27:36, 26/09/18 »
Off for a quick walk from minions out to sharp tor and back this evening.  Almost back at the car and my wife and daughter appeared, so we headed back up stowe hill together.  Then off for a nice family meal in Bodmin at the Borough arms.  Lovely evening. O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #639 on: 22:04:44, 27/09/18 »
I went to Hayling Island today, which lies off the Hampshire coast and is linked to the mainland by a road bridge. I walked the Hayling Billy Trail, a disused railway line, which goes up the west coast of the island. I crossed the road bridge and came into the picturesque quayside village of Langstone and continued on the trail to Havant Station.  A very pleasant walk with fine views over Langstone Harbour, but I prefer the walks I've done at nearby Chichester Harbour, which has more of a feeling of remoteness.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #640 on: 22:04:04, 28/09/18 »
Another small section of the SW coast path with mrsG this afternoon. What a beautifully day and a really picture perfect section from Boscastle to Cracklington Haven.

rambling oldie

« Reply #641 on: 11:21:04, 30/09/18 »
I'll be leading my U3A rambling group on a walk just short of 6 miles from the Red Lion in Chalton up over some Hampshire downland.  The weather forecast is excellent so the views will be good.  From a highpoint we shall be able to see Chichester Harbour and either Langstone or Portsmouth Harbour (still working that out from bearings taken)  Then descending into the valley, through a cattle creep and up to a wonderful little church with saxon origins and medieval wall painting.  I'll be dragging our merry band out of there to complete the circuit up through woods, down and across the valley and finishing over a steep hill to develop a thirst!
Should be bliss

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #642 on: 14:53:09, 01/10/18 »
I went out for a few hours from early this morning and on one part of my walk and run route I strolled over the top of Portsdown Hill, just outside my city, Portsmouth and then ran down the other side. I stopped at the bottom of the hill and had a walk and as I was looking into the hedges I saw a few randomly growing hop bines. As I stood there taking a couple of photos and reaching up and picking a couple of small branches to take back home a Land Rover stopped behind me. The driver said he saw me taking photos and wondered what I had seen? I showed him the hops and he was so surprised. He told me that he is a local farmer and had never ever noticed hops in the area  before. He then like me, decided to pick a few and take them home to show his wife and daughters.

Just one small moment of time but it was nice that both of us got a simple pleasure out of discovering something that is no longer natural to our area. I suspect that the field would have been a hop garden sometime back, I'm now going to find out if I can on my PC.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #643 on: 15:42:44, 01/10/18 »
Hi Reg  -  I thought you were going to say that when the Land Drover stopped, the guy was going to shoot you for picking his hops!  Happy ending though!  :)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #644 on: 20:07:15, 04/10/18 »
I walked in Ashdown Forest today.  High, wild, rolling heathland in the High Weald in Sussex.  The vegetation was taking on its autumnal colouring and the landscape looked atmospheric in the slightly misty conditions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy