Author Topic: Viewranger replacement  (Read 23837 times)

Glyno

• Veteran Member
Re: Viewranger replacement
« Reply #60 on: 15:40:40, 06/04/21 »
I know you tried moving them to OA which would at least give you a back up but did you try using the filter at the top of the list and setting it to sort by "date first published" which, if it works, would sort your files into the chronological sequence in which you first saved them?

Yes, I've tried the filter using several different criteria but without to-ing and fro-ing back and forth from VR I can't confirm whether they are in chronological order or not - though I suspect they may well be if I select 'most recently created' :-)
The problem is that it just doesn't display the date the walk took place and the track was saved. This is the vital piece of information (from my POV) that's missing.  For instance, I could be looking at photos (RAW files which I don't title) from say, a particular date in 2005. I'd use the date of the photo and cross-reference with the VR track from that date to ascertain where the photo was taken. Yes, maybe I should title my RAW files but that's another story.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 16:03:14, 06/04/21 »
Solvitur Ambulando

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 20:57:17, 06/04/21 »
There is a bulk export option in VR but it's in the app itself not the website. In the Import/Export page of the app you can export all routes, tracks, pois - this will save all of those into a single gpx file on your device.

The individual tracks are preserved within the single file but need splitting out. There appear to be a bunch of online tools that will split gpx files but the one I've tried so far (gpxvisualizer.com) doesn't do a particularly brilliant job - I'm looking at a few other options and will get back to you.

At least it's easy to ensure the data you have within VR is not lost.
10 lines of python and they’re all saved individually in files renamed to include the date of the walk and the original track name.

People may not know how to/want to get their hands this dirty but happy to share.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 16:18:22, 07/04/21 »
10 lines of python and they’re all saved individually in files renamed to include the date of the walk and the original track name.

People may not know how to/want to get their hands this dirty but happy to share.

ooh?

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 20:42:21, 07/04/21 »

ooh?
I'm doing a bit of testing at the moment. The library (gpxpy) I'm using to split out and rename the gpx files wasn't playing nicely with basecamp for instance (despite the files being perfectly correct according to the gpx definition docs) - I've fixed that but am checking a few other apps so it's generating something nicely portable across a range of tools/apps. I will get back to you.

As an example of what I'm doing: I've got a track within the big viewranger export of a Fusedale walk (called Fusedale!) - the first track point is timestamped 2017-03-29T07:06:50 so I'm updating the track name to '2017-03-09 Fusedale' and writing it to '2017-03-09 Fusedale.gpx'.

Apologies in advance if this sounds patronising - I've no idea of your IT knowledge - would you be happy or even able to run some python code? If you are I'll share when finished. If not I would be happy to run the split/rename for you - it would require you mailing me the gpx file that viewranger exports. I could send a zip file of the split tracks back.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 21:03:03, 07/04/21 »

Apologies in advance if this sounds patronising - I've no idea of your IT knowledge - would you be happy or even able to run some python code? If you are I'll share when finished. If not I would be happy to run the split/rename for you - it would require you mailing me the gpx file that viewranger exports. I could send a zip file of the split tracks back.

Percy, I really appreciate your kind offer but my IT knowledge is such that I'd be completely out of my depth with python codes (or any other codes for that matter). I think I'll persevere for now, and just cling to the hope that VR won't be disappearing too soon.

Thanks again

ImperialJohn

« Reply #66 on: 04:05:26, 16/04/21 »

I recently found out what is happening to ViewRanger as I wasn't able to buy new maps.  

If they kill off ViewRanger and force people to switch to an inferior OA product on a paid monthly subscription then I will take OutdoorActive to small claims court and get back all the money I have spent on ViewRanger maps over the years that I can no longer use.

OutdoorActive must realise they cannot take over a company with a superior product, get rid of it, then think all of its former users will switch to them on an inferior product and a subscription service that takes away ownership and creates many new problems.

I will not use the new OutdoorActive product but will consider switching to a different company for the new maps I need. It may even make sense to switch back to paper maps. How do I know I won't be defrauded in a similar fashion in the future?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 07:13:15, 16/04/21 »
I recently found out what is happening to ViewRanger as I wasn't able to buy new maps.

If they kill off ViewRanger and force people to switch to an inferior OA product on a paid monthly subscription then I will take OutdoorActive to small claims court and get back all the money I have spent on ViewRanger maps over the years that I can no longer use.

OutdoorActive must realise they cannot take over a company with a superior product, get rid of it, then think all of its former users will switch to them on an inferior product and a subscription service that takes away ownership and creates many new problems.

I will not use the new OutdoorActive product but will consider switching to a different company for the new maps I need. It may even make sense to switch back to paper maps. How do I know I won't be defrauded in a similar fashion in the future?

I paid for an app called iFootpath which had a load of rated walks on it, handy for a Sunday family pub walk.

Next thing I knew it as bought by AllTrails who have a subscription model which is too expensive.

My “lifetime” membership proves to be worthless.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 07:27:56, 16/04/21 »

Good luck with that, you're up against a load of precedent and, no doubt, carefully worded EULAs.
That's the normal business model for companies dealing in all kinds of digital "items", it's been happening for years, including other mapping companies. You never own an independent copy, you can access it as long as the company is in business and as long as your hardware/software setup supports it (or as long as they see fit to allow it, in some cases). It's all about seizing control out of your hands and into theirs.

That's why I never buy digital items that rely on company servers to continue working. If they are not under my control, or I can't find a way to make them so, then no sale.

How do I know I won't be defrauded in a similar fashion in the future?

You very likely will!.I've no objection to business models such as the OS Maps app that is basically "maps as a service" which is fair. You pay a certain amount yearly for ongoing access to frequently updated mapping for a mobile device. There are still potential problems when you want desktop mapping on a large scale for offline use.
For my desktop use, all my maps are independent of any servers and under my control.

steve271

« Reply #69 on: 11:37:22, 16/04/21 »
I had hoped that I could continue quietly using Viewranger, but just checked their website:

Due to the transition to Outdooractive, ViewRanger no longer sells subscriptions. The ViewRanger Premium subscription enables features like 3D and Skyline. If you have a subscription it will still run for its full duration, then ends.

So as my subscription ends in May, I guess my OS maps are going to end then too. That is a disappointment.

OA just seems to be a clutter to me, and lacks basic usability for me in terms of actually viewing maps:

It's essential that I can zoom as far into a map as *I* want, without the app deciding when to change scales for me. I have less than perfect eyesight, plus I like to leave the moving map up on the car or bike handlebars where I want it BIG so I can easily see it without having to look hard. VR lets you do this, even if slightly clunky. I can't see OA has this feature.

It's annoying feature of rotating the map while trying to scroll/zoom - hopeless on bike handlebars where I really haven't got time to be fiddling with the app

PLUS I'm really not interested in a mapping app trying to book me into hotels, telling me where I can hire a car or advising me that my dog is due his next injections. I have other apps that do all these perfectly adequately thank you. I'd guess these advertising up-sells are what OA is really interested in.

It's a strange business model OA have: buy up an app, replace it with an inferior one, and allow all their subscriptions to expire losing their custom and money!

My needs are simple (I think)...

- Ordnance Survey Maps
- Saving offline maps
- The ability to zoom in as far as I want
- Keeping the screen on but still recording tracks when I choose to sleep the phone
- Clear and uncluttered display - preferably full-screen with nothing but map visible, unless I want routes etc displayed

So far it seems Memory Maps comes the closest for me at about £40 for OS annual subscription.

Dread

« Reply #70 on: 14:04:27, 16/04/21 »
I'm still confused. Over the years I've secured credits and used them to buy OS maps of the areas I walk, the Dark Peak, Pennines and Yorkshire Dales. I only had an OS subscription for one year and gave it up. All of those map tiles I have downloaded onto my phone, tablet and laptop for offline use. I presumed that I can still access them somehow but as far as I can tell they are only accessible through VR? The app still works well though and even if they stop updates it will continue to work for a while yet. Will  the tiles become accessible through OA?

Dread

« Reply #71 on: 14:09:57, 16/04/21 »
Oh and I forgot to mention if a VR update does become available then it might be best not to download it. They will probably be forced to disable the app at some time in the future and that is the best way to do it.

steve271

« Reply #72 on: 14:21:30, 16/04/21 »
I'm still confused. Over the years I've secured credits and used them to buy OS maps of the areas I walk, the Dark Peak, Pennines and Yorkshire Dales. I only had an OS subscription for one year and gave it up. All of those map tiles I have downloaded onto my phone, tablet and laptop for offline use. I presumed that I can still access them somehow but as far as I can tell they are only accessible through VR? The app still works well though and even if they stop updates it will continue to work for a while yet. Will  the tiles become accessible through OA?
I don't think previously bought VR maps will be accessble through OA. Someone has also said as much, possibly earlier in this thread.

Technically it is doubtful too. VR uses a [far superior IMO] vector format for maps, whereas OA uses simple map images. This is one reason why OA maps take up much more space than VR maps and also go fuzzy when zoomed in.

So I doubt they are going to make OA able to read VR maps, even if they wanted to.

(Vector format basically means that it stores information about the map, rather than a simple picture of it. Think of it as the difference between storing the text of a newpaper page (a few thousand characters, for example these can be printed in any size or format without any quality loss) and a picture of the same page (hugely larger and there is no 'knowledge' in the picture about what is in it).

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 15:28:50, 16/04/21 »
Steve271 - does the OS app not do those things?  I am not sure about the screen on when sleeping the phone as I've never done that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 15:33:26, 16/04/21 »
I have been earning credits in ViewRanger by publishing routes for folk to download.  I have spent these credits on mapping I needed for foreign trips.  What with Covid and all, I have built uo a bit of a balance.  Up till now, ViewRanger have sent me an email every quarter asking me if I want cash or to keep the credits and I have always opted for credits.  Now they have gone quiet, I wonder what will happen to my credits?  It's not a lot but there is a principle at stake.
At the moment, as a ViewRanger Explorer, I get full access to ViewRanger services and I have been given OutdoorActive Pro+ for free.  What is not clear is if this is a lifetime membership or just for a year.  I still publish routes to ViewRanger and these get automatically copied across to the Outdoor Active website but of course now I get nothing in return.  The irritating thing is an amendment to a route in ViewRanger is copied across automatically but the reverse is not true.  OutdoorActive routes require even more information than ViewRanger so extra work is involved to add to the copy passed across from ViewRanger.  It would be nice if there was some form recognition of this effort in the form of a minimum participation in the OutdoorActve community that at least earned some form of free subscription in return.  I note that all routes in OutdoorActuve get a "score" depending on the quality of the description and interest shown in the route so it should not be beyond the wit of man or woman to come up with an algorithm.  Perhaps I should put it to them?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy