Author Topic: Scottish 2 week jaunt  (Read 2587 times)

Rascal

Scottish 2 week jaunt
« on: 14:07:00, 07/03/18 »
Hi[/color]
Me and the good lady are spending 2 weeks in Scotland May/June. We love to go to Skye in our van (when I get one!) – I would never forgive spending 2 weeks in Scotland and not going there! We'll be going to other places too but would like to spend 3/4 days here as never been.  
Where are the must-go-to towns and villages – and more importantly recommended campsites?  
A munro (hike), a good mountain bike ride, nice beach and some chill time. If you were there for the same time frame how would you fill your time? Like the idea of staying in a secluded place where we can stop overnight in a van without breaking law or peeing someone off. In fact if we could do that for half the time we are up in Scotland that would be fantastic…alternating between camp site and natural.  
So: without getting crazy on the Cuillin ridge where is a munro for mere mortals?  
Open to recommendations for other must-see places too.  
Apologies for the poorly constructed post - it's a bit of a cut & shut affair but you get the idea :-)  
Cheers[/color]

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Scottish 2 week jaunt
« Reply #1 on: 14:14:58, 07/03/18 »
If your proposed van and driver are up to/for it take the Applecross pass road across to Applecross. There is a small camp site there though I've not used it as my family live in the area.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:15:26, 07/03/18 »

When you are on Skye get the boat from Elgol round to Loch Coruisg.
Or if you are feeling brave, walk round, but you need a bit of a head for heights, especially on the bad step. (I'm terrible in the face of any kind of a drop, and nearly got stuck on it)
I'm sure you'll be going through Glen Coe.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:53:39, 07/03/18 »
There are no easy Munros on Skye.........all serious scrambles. Lots of places to 'wild camp' in your camper.  Especially on the north west of the island.

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 15:36:09, 18/03/18 »
If your proposed van and driver are up to/for it take the Applecross pass road across to Applecross. There is a small camp site there though I've not used it as my family live in the area.

I stayed at Applecross years ago as part of my Scottish road trip. It was nice, though I found the road a bit fatiguing. In a campervan a lot of up and downs on high roads. From Applecross the road towards Lonbain & Fearnmore offers good views and some decent walks. Though the driving road is very narrow with passing places.   

I wish I had stayed more on Isle of Skye. Only a couple of days. I went to Dunvegan castle. The weather was terrible. Though if you into a bit of climbing then Skye offers some excellent views.

I wild camped a few nights on the road and you really know the feeling of secluded environment!
Enjoy. 
« Last Edit: 15:42:32, 18/03/18 by nesty »

Rascal

« Reply #5 on: 07:46:20, 20/03/18 »
Whittled walks down to 4:
Buachaille Etive Mor and Bidean nam Biam - both in Glencoe; Blaven on Skye and Beinn Alligin in Torridon....tough choice! What would you go for?

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:38:14, 20/03/18 »
Ah! The Horns of Alligan are appealing..............If you chose the Buachaille, ascend via the Crowberry Ridge route - great scramble. Do them all............

Rascal

« Reply #7 on: 21:05:50, 20/03/18 »
Curved Ridge on BEM...ok for mere mortals?

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:23:43, 21/03/18 »
Curved Ridge is a great scramble.....wee bit if exposure but a good way to the top.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy