Author Topic: Lairig Ghru Again  (Read 1541 times)

myxpyr

Lairig Ghru Again
« on: 15:20:11, 25/04/19 »
I mentioned elsewhere that I was contemplating the LG later this year. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to whether there is a "best" time of the year to do it. I'm not too averse to easy snow but would prefer not to have to carry an ice axe - just trekking poles. Also, there much of a midge problem? I was thinking of getting a midge net to wear over a hat.Thanks for any info.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Lairig Ghru Again
« Reply #1 on: 15:53:55, 25/04/19 »
I'm off up that way tomorrow for a week, I'll report back on conditions but I'm not expecting what snow is left to be a problem. Touch wood, It shouldn't snow again in any amount till late November- ish.

Midgies normally start to come out to play anytime from mid May-ish. They'll stay till the first frost. Headnets, smidge, jungle formula and tiger coils are the only way to fight back.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 16:00:21, 25/04/19 »
Many thanks. Look forward to seeing your report.

scottk

« Reply #3 on: 12:14:50, 23/06/19 »
It’s probably best late may, early June and September if you want to avoid the midgies but there is always a wind so they aren’t too much of an issue even in summer.
I’ve done it a reasonable amount - probably 6 times in the last 2 years alone. I think it is a lovely walk with so many options either side. I normally park at Linn of Dee and then bike to Derry Lodge. Have also walked all the way to Braemar twice (TGOC rules) which is awful!!
Glen Feshie on one side, Lairig an Laoigh on the other- superb options for circular walks.
It can get very warm so take suncream. No need to carry much water as you are close to water most of the way.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy