Author Topic: Call for volunteer long distance walkers  (Read 2745 times)

dg

Call for volunteer long distance walkers
« on: 17:42:27, 25/04/20 »
Hi all!

Another sunny day, another local walk complete!

I don't know how this summer will play out with regards to travel restrictions, but like all of you, I'm hoping there will be some allowances granted within the next few weeks for leisure related travel. I'm itching to get a 20km+ walk in.

I'm also running a project over the summer/autumn to virtually map some LDW's using 360 camera! The aim being; to create accessibility guides for paths (by using computer vision to identify steps, gradients, loose ground, etc in the images). Oh, and keep WhitstableDave busy [nofollow]!

Our cameras are light weight, easy to use, and can be mounted to almost any backpack.

I am able to loan these packs out free of charge to walkers, thanks to the support of donors.

Ideally I want to lend them for a specific periods (1 / 2 weeks) to someone who will be walking most days. This is so we can maximise the capture time, and the amount of volunteers we can lend cameras too.

If you're planning a walk, and would be interested in helping us work on this project (C19 dependant)  , please do PM me!

Michael Passey

Re: Call for volunteer long distance walkers
« Reply #1 on: 09:24:46, 29/04/20 »

Hi DG

Covid-19 dependent i am walking the south-downs way over 4 consecutive days this summer.

I would be happy to help if required, the only issue maybe batteries over the 4 days?

Best, Michael.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:18:00, 29/04/20 »
Sounds interesting. Are you looking at people who are walking specific long distance paths or people who are out walking generally?
I am supposedly walking the Pennine Way this summer and may be interested in taking one of your cameras along if that is what you are wanting to do.

dg

« Reply #3 on: 18:14:07, 30/04/20 »

> Are you looking at people who are walking specific long distance paths or people who are out walking generally?

Ideally we're looking for people walking over consecutive days, covering good stretches of a trail. It just means our cameras are put to maximum effeciency.

> I would be happy to help if required, the only issue maybe batteries over the 4 days?

Our batteries will see you through (we would work with you beforehand to see how many we need to supply). If you're camping we can give you battery packs. If you're staying indoors we can provide chargers for each evening. Are you doing the whole route in 4 days? If so, very impressive!

> I am supposedly walking the Pennine Way this summer and may be interested in taking one of your cameras along if that is what you are wanting to do.

> Covid-19 dependent i am walking the south-downs way over 4 consecutive days this summer.

Both of these walks are exactly what we're looking to film -- the National Trail rangers we've spoken too are keen to map accessibility of their trails. Will drop you both PM's. Thank you!

dg

« Reply #4 on: 11:33:11, 11/05/20 »
I want to say thanks again to everyone who has contacted me about this -- over 40 messages from potential volunteer Trekkers :)

Now to keep our fingers crossed for good weather and clearer guidance on the reduction of lockdown restrictions!

I'd still love to hear from anyone else who is potentially interested in getting behind this project..

rigby

« Reply #5 on: 06:45:25, 07/07/20 »
I'm interested but
A) would like to know the weight of the camera and is it usb compatible for charging?
B) can it be attached to any backpack (as I'd rather use my own)

sounds like an exciting project!

dg

« Reply #6 on: 20:41:57, 07/07/20 »
Hi @rigby,

Camera is a GoPro Max. No more than 200g.

We can include all the charging gear (if you loan one from us, vs. build your own). Either spare batteries, or USB powerbank.

And yes, can be easily attached to most backpacks (usually with the help of bungee cords).

This doc will give you loads more info on our cameras if you're still interested...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yGxcXvqZUjf7ZY5FLXhcNmo9B5y8OvbHeB8jyhwlr3k/edit [nofollow]

rigby

« Reply #7 on: 18:49:04, 08/07/20 »
Hi dg
Great system.. unfortunately i don't think the pack i use in the summer months wouldn't be able to hold that up! (KS Tao)
I'll check in with you once i move over to larger bags in the shoulder months & see if you still need walkers.

btw do you have much trouble with people smacking the camera into overhead branches or dislodging when going off trail into vegetation?

dg

« Reply #8 on: 19:25:18, 08/07/20 »
btw do you have much trouble with people smacking the camera into overhead branches or dislodging when going off trail into vegetation?

In short, yes.. but the cams are pretty robust :)

Out of interest; what pack are you using @rigby?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:27:50, 08/07/20 »
I'm going to be taking one of dg's cameras on our Pennine Way trip.
I had't thought about the danger of smashing it in to a tree, though I had wondered what it will film when I step off the path for a quick 'break'.

dg

« Reply #10 on: 08:20:39, 09/07/20 »
@ridge, please, please, please, make sure to stop the camera capture in these situations :)

rigby

« Reply #11 on: 14:51:29, 09/07/20 »
... though I had wondered what it will film when I step off the path for a quick 'break'.
haha  :P

dg - it's the KS Tao.. a japanese made x-pac bag made by a french guy.. great business tricky website but a quick email & the guys a champ for bespoke issues (best i've ever had). mine weighs just over 330g for a 35L  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy