Author Topic: Two Moors Way  (Read 10836 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Two Moors Way
« Reply #45 on: 22:24:56, 09/08/19 »
I have dined in the Dumpling too.  Bit of an odd pub I thought but food wasn't bad.  The weather hasn't actually been that bad yet.  Perhaps we will see you if you come to finish it off.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 08:41:23, 10/08/19 »
We stayed in the Devonshire Dumpling at Morchard Road back in June. I believe it had recently changed hands and got the impression that it may have improved from before. A clean, comfortable stay, nothing outstanding, but they were friendly and like you say, food was good. I get what you mean by an odd pub, probably more of a travellers pub than a village pub, being on a busy road.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 11:16:09, 10/08/19 »
After my first nights camp, I had a full veggie breakfast in the pub in Scorrington. Very nice, varied ingredients and good presentation but I'm sure it was cooked in a microwave. I may be picky but microwaved meals are always a bit of a letdown for me.

En route, I detoured off into Shagford for coffee and cake and went into the Cafe on the Square. A small place but I fully recommend the lady owners Bakewell Tart, she makes it and other cakes herself, excellent! I then had a scone, jam and cream, excellent again!

There I experienced a vision of a possible future for us? Most customers wanted to pay by card but her machine was intermittently failing. Oooh, some people do get twitchy! It was not her fault and customers had to walk about 10 yards to get cash out of a machine! Too far, too much effort, it was grumps all round!

It certainly made me think, what happens if card machines were to fail en masse? I thought about this last night especially noticing that large areas of the country had experienced an electric blackout yesterday. As my old mum used to say, the country just could not function if electricity fails, everything and everybody depends on it, even for our gas supplies. And where does a lot of our electricity come from? I've been told much of it is from the EU? If so does Brexit make the UKs fuel security more vulnerable than ever in the past? Doesn't feel good to me!

I drank and ate at the Dumpling. Very clean, nice functional decor, very welcoming locals, a charming barmaid but could have been the landlady? The food was very good, the three vegetables provided were cooked perfectly, much better I thought than the food from the pub in Widecombe in the Moor.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 11:26:00, 10/08/19 »

En route, I detoured off into Shagford for coffee and ...................................

:o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 11:41:09, 10/08/19 »
Do you mean Scorriton and Chagford gunwharfman?  ;D

We also stayed and ate at the pub in Scorriton. They were unable to do us a packed lunch even though we asked the night before, as they said they didn’t have enough bread! So we just made up a sausage sandwich from breakfast.

We stopped for lunch in Chagford, at a little deli just off the main square, where we could sit outside.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 11:47:40, 10/08/19 »
Oops! Must improve my typing skills.  :-[

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 12:51:58, 12/08/19 »
I've decided to return to Devon to finish the Two Moors Way. So I'll be on the train again on the 18th August and catch the train back on 22nd August. I'll start where I finished (Marchant Road Halt) and carry on walking north, I estimate it will take 3 walking days to Lynton. I managed, by using the Split Tickets site to get a good enough price, £21 each way.

I may also be lucky the week after to spend a few days in the Lakes? A neighbour is on his way to Glasgow and is willing to drop me at Penrith and pick me up three days later. Crossing my fingers!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 16:47:54, 17/08/19 »
I'm off to Morchard Road tomorrow to finish the Two Moors Way. Not keen to travel on a Sunday usually, because in the evening lots of pubs can be closed, or they don't serve food? The secondary reason is that I arrive at Morchard Road just after 4.0pm, so it should be easy to get to Morchard Bishop fairly quickly. Then I'll have to mull over shall I stay there, or could I get to Witheridge while it's still daylight? If I choose to go to Witheridge does anyone know if there is a campsite nearby please?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 17:47:30, 17/08/19 »
I'm off to Morchard Road tomorrow to finish the Two Moors Way. Not keen to travel on a Sunday usually, because in the evening lots of pubs can be closed, or they don't serve food? The secondary reason is that I arrive at Morchard Road just after 4.0pm, so it should be easy to get to Morchard Bishop fairly quickly. Then I'll have to mull over shall I stay there, or could I get to Witheridge while it's still daylight? If I choose to go to Witheridge does anyone know if there is a campsite nearby please?
  Near Witheridge - can't say as I do.  The Mitre does rooms otherwise I suspect you may be wild camping.  Not sure if it is suitable, but there is a playing field behind the village hall but it is very popular with dog walkers at all hours.  Perhaps there is patch just as you go out of the playing field on to the 2MW and go right - there is a path and the grass is a bit long but it is more out of sight for a late pitch and early start.  There is a pub at Morchard Bishop too, never been in it though and there is a pub at Black Dog - again I have never been in it.  Neither is renowned for its catering. Let me know if you make it to Witheridge tomorrow and perhaps we can have a pint together.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 09:38:24, 18/08/19 »
Thanks, yes I'd looked at that site possibility. Just went off to catch my train to Salisbury and the guard didn't turn up so it has been cancelled. So instead of leaving at 9.08 I'll be catching the 11.08. Annoying!

Because I'll be arriving later I'll just make my way to Morchard Bishop and camp there. These little things are there to try us.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 10:55:23, 18/08/19 »
I believe the London Inn may not only offer food but may let you camp.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 19:12:47, 18/08/19 »
Just arrived in Morchard Bishop, camping on the pub lawn, having a meal with beer. Campers heaven!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 22:23:13, 18/08/19 »
It may open too late for you but the little shop in Morchard Bishop does bacon sandwiches

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 17:53:34, 22/08/19 »
I've just finished the last half of the Two Moors Way, 4 nights camping, 3 full days of walking. Got off the train at Morchard Raod, strolled up to Morchard Bishop, camped behind the pub. My plan was to walk to Witheridge then decide what to do next, arrived around midday, had coffee and cake in the Art Cafe and then, it was a nice day so I just strolled on. It was one of those days when I could have walked from dawn to dusk, which I did! I got to Knowstone and the pub was closed, it was Monday, so had a sit-down, had a think and then walked on again. My Salomon Quest boots were so comfortable, no pains, twinges or hot spots, the only problem was both boots LEAKED in exactly the same way! The water got in through the area over my toes, I walked in early wet grass and knew I had wet feet within about ten paces. When I looked,  the front of my socks was wet, the heel areas were dry. Annoying!

In the end, I walked to the Tarr Steps and camped by the river. The pub there and the meal was the best en route. Lots of showers that day, I must have put on and taken off my walking long coat twenty times, but no problem, I stayed dry, except for some perspiration wetness which dried quickly when I open up the jacket to the air.

The next day, I still felt good so I walked all the way to West Lyn, just before Lynmouth. I came off the route at the bottom of a steep semi tarmac track at the entrance gate to Combe Park. I just strolled up the hill to the West Lyn campsite. It has a pub next door, £6 a night, so I stayed 2 nights.

The next morning I walked back to the gate at Combe Park and the followed the Two Moors Way to Lynmouth and the metal man sculpture at the seafront.

I wandered around, had coffee and cake, wandered a bit more and had lunch. Mid afternoon I walked back up to the camp site, Very steep zig zag track, really made me puff and pant! Had the Vegan main mean in the pub, (recommended!) 2 pints of beer and treated myself to a brandy at the end.

I was up at 05.15 this morning and was packed by 06.00 and retraced my steps through a field, down the steep footpath and caught the 07.28 bus to Barnstaple.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy