Author Topic: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?  (Read 2526 times)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks or not at all?
« Reply #15 on: 21:15:53, 02/08/20 »
I don't listen to anything when I'm out walking.  I prefer to hear the music of the natural world  -  birdsong, the waves on the shore, and so on.  And no way would I want to listen to news or discussions  -  I like the feeling of being away from it all when I'm out in the countryside.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:56:14, 02/08/20 »
I don't listen to anything when I'm out walking.  I prefer to hear the music of the natural world  -  birdsong, the waves on the shore, and so on.  And no way would I want to listen to news or discussions  -  I like the feeling of being away from it all when I'm out in the countryside.
A lot of it must depend on what your normal environment is.  For me the "natural world" begins at the foot of my garden, starting with a rookery with 50+ nests in it, which makes for a bit of a raucous dawn chorus in the season.  Beyond that, I have rural Devon with paths through woods and fields.  Moreover, the lanes themselves are about a car wide so we do not see a lot of traffic outside the school run.  Most of the fields are grass, given over to sheep and cattle, so walking them is a lot more pleasant than walking round or through fields of crop.  In short, any walk I do, even from my own front door, would be regarded by an urban dweller as being pretty much "away from it all" and since i am retired, I can go at any time.  I do not take it for granted - far from it - but I am used to it.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:54:21, 02/08/20 »
I don't ever recall listening to music when walking.  Surprisingly I did enjoy the music blasting out in the middle of Dartmoor, at Fur toe today.  I climbed up and listened for a time socially distanced, at the top of the tor.  At least some of these young folk have good taste.  8)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:01:17, 03/08/20 »
I like to be in the moment. The walk is the entertainment for me - visually and audibly.

However, those few weeks ago when we could only walk from home and the beginning of every walk was the same urban slog I began to understand why joggers on a regular circuit might prefer the diversion of music.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:56:28, 03/08/20 »
I don't have a lot of experience however I'm beginning to think that I'm better off with my own thoughts than listening to any entertainment while I walk.

It seems like I'm able to shout at myself, give words of encouragement, work through life things that are bothering me, etc, etc, to keep me moving and generally quite positive.
So far I'm finding that when I play something instead I find it more of a slog and far less enjoyable than usual.

I'm wondering what works for you all?

A few years ago it was 99% listening to music or podcasts.  I've got a subscription list of >100 podcasts so there are plenty of current affairs/hobby/history podcasts which I find fascinating and which are often fascinating, particularly useful for walks I've done often, or bad weather when I'm wearing full waterproofs and just want some exercise.

That said, recently I've enjoyed not listening to anything, noticing more plant life, types of trees, animals and birds.  Treating those spaces with more attention rather than as a conveniently places path to do some cardio.  Often I'll find I leave my headphones in my pocket and just focus on being in the moment entirely.

Waldini

« Reply #20 on: 12:35:47, 05/08/20 »
I've only started walking for fun in the last few months. I usually start off listening to nature (I walk along the canal usually) and put Audible on after an hour or so. Sometimes less. I listened to Lord of the Rings, it was great walking along at the same time they were on their journey.

Currently listening to a DART (Dark Adventure Radio Theatre) episode, also on Audible. They are from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society and are a radio-play versions of his books. It can get pretty dark, so it's great to listen to in the evening as the sun goes down. I'm walking Hadrian's Wall soon, I might try to find an audio book about the history of it, or some historial fiction based around that era.

My take is this: music for running, Audible for walking.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:42:10, 12/08/20 »
I used to listen to music walking solo around urban/suburban areas. Never in the countryside, it would spoil it. I've tried audiobooks out running but couldn't readily pause them or skip back - I should imagine they'd work better on an amble but not in the country, the sounds of nature are part of the pleasure for me. Now I only walk with company because my partner and I are joined at the hip. We talk rather than listen to anything else.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:55:31, 12/08/20 »
It’s a personal preference thing, without a doubt.

I’m a bit of a philistine in that I often listen to music whilst walking, and feel it enhances the experience (as well as drowning out my puffing-and-panting). I’ve even got an “uplifting” playlist. I can fully see why some think it’s against the point of getting out in the hills.

To be philosophical, I think that nature generally trumps man ie I prefer the beauty of a natural scene to even the best man-made design/architecture (hence why I love walking), but I think music is one area where man trumps nature. Although a peaceful, natural background noise is very relaxing, music can move you, and on the hills, it can be the best of both worlds.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:26:10, 12/08/20 »
The only thing I want to hear when out walking are natural sounds of the countryside. Also footsteps or voices coming up behind me or to the side of me. I hate anyone behind me, I have to stop and let them pass.

ilona

blistaz

« Reply #24 on: 23:53:58, 21/08/20 »
I always listen to podcasts while walking. I currently have 1307 unplayed episodes on my phone which gives you an idea of how much lockdown has affected the amount of walking I'm doing.

Eyelet

« Reply #25 on: 22:53:31, 06/09/20 »
I agree it's a personal thing, I've never been tempted to listen to music whilst out walking, it would detract from the naturalistic 'away from it all' experience i enjoy. If I did, I think it would be music, not a podcast or audiobook.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:15:26, 07/09/20 »
I use music now and again, especially when I need help to smartly hike up a hill. Aretha Franklin's 'Respect' is a good one.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:27:44, 07/09/20 »
Just natures soundtrack for me too.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:58:16, 07/09/20 »
Think it very sad when people cannot be separated from their technological entertainment, even when in the countryside. Might as well stay at home where you can plug in to your heart's content.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:45:45, 07/09/20 »
Think it very sad when people cannot be separated from their technological entertainment, even when in the countryside. Might as well stay at home where you can plug in to your heart's content.

Not sad at all. Just because it is not for you, doesn't make it wrong. 

I find it sad, that some people can be so judgemental of others, when they don't know them and don't know where and why they walk.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy