Author Topic: Use a rescue beacon?  (Read 3818 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Use a rescue beacon?
« Reply #30 on: 21:27:31, 26/02/19 »
Well I'm surprised then they struggle to understand what happened, I've seen it many times. It's called SVT, this from the NHS website
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/supraventricular-tachycardia-svt/

What is SVT?

SVT happens when the electrical system that controls your heart rhythm isn't working properly.

This causes your heart to suddenly beat much faster. It can then slow down abruptly.

A normal resting heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute (bpm). But with SVT your heart rate suddenly goes above 100bpm. This can happen when you're resting or doing exercise.
Where there's a will ...

Deolman

« Reply #31 on: 21:46:00, 26/02/19 »
I didn’t say that they didnt know what it was but that they were investigating it. They have two possibilities one of which is what you describe and the cause of that is unclear though it may be due to the scarring on the heart from my first MI. The second is a small blocked artery (left circumflex)  which is too small to get a stent in. It shouldn’t cause a problem but if it does it would mean open heart surgery to correct. However, good as the internet is, I wouldn’t  expect any Consultant to be able to wave a magic wand and give a reason for the problem until they have checked out everything.  Incidentally they could never give a reason for my first MI twenty years ago and similarly since then I have had regular cardiac checkups and blood tests with no problems yet still ended up with three blocked arteries.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 22:02:12, 26/02/19 »
Well I hope it's all resolved satisfactorily for you,  clearly you have a lot going on.
Where there's a will ...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 22:50:34, 26/02/19 »
Well I'm surprised then they struggle to understand what happened, I've seen it many times. It's called SVT, this from the NHS website
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/supraventricular-tachycardia-svt/

What is SVT?

SVT happens when the electrical system that controls your heart rhythm isn't working properly.

This causes your heart to suddenly beat much faster. It can then slow down abruptly.

A normal resting heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute (bpm). But with SVT your heart rate suddenly goes above 100bpm. This can happen when you're resting or doing exercise.

I am no medic.  I have experienced SVT.  Originally caused by viral pericarditus 15 years ago.  Happily I learned to control mine.  It is one reason I try to keep fit.  If I become un fit for what ever reason it can kick in.

Stay healthy one and all. O0

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 01:14:34, 27/02/19 »
i have an inReach but don't take it most places in the UK.  Although I do walk alone mostly, so probably should.  I assume (possibly arrogantly) that my mobile phone will be enough.  Plenty of walks I do, I don't see many if any other people. 

taxino8

« Reply #35 on: 06:17:15, 27/02/19 »
i have an inReach but don't take it most places in the UK.  Although I do walk alone mostly, so probably should.  I assume (possibly arrogantly) that my mobile phone will be enough.  Plenty of walks I do, I don't see many if any other people.
I have recently bought one too but got it just to text the wife when staying out overnight in places where there’s no signal for her peace of mind as I’m no Spring Chicken anymore but thought it would be a good idea just in case anything happens to me or I come across an incident where there’s no mobile coverage.
After the initial cost it’s pretty cheap on the basic Freedom Plan and I’m glad I now have it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 09:59:57, 27/02/19 »
I have recently bought one too but got it just to text the wife when staying out overnight in places where there’s no signal for her peace of mind as I’m no Spring Chicken anymore but thought it would be a good idea just in case anything happens to me or I come across an incident where there’s no mobile coverage.
After the initial cost it’s pretty cheap on the basic Freedom Plan and I’m glad I now have it.
As you seem to just have one for the same reasons I would, if I bought one. What was the up front cost, and then what is the cheapest ongoing costs. If you dont mind me asking.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

taxino8

« Reply #37 on: 11:02:10, 27/02/19 »
As you seem to just have one for the same reasons I would, if I bought one. What was the up front cost, and then what is the cheapest ongoing costs. If you dont mind me asking.
I got the InReach Mini for £250 from Blacks.
There’s a yearly subscription  fee of about £25 and then it’s just £15 per month for the time you want it activated. You can suspend this whenever you want so there’s no cost when you’re not using it.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 11:54:41, 27/02/19 »
I got the InReach Mini for £250 from Blacks.
There’s a yearly subscription  fee of about £25 and then it’s just £15 per month for the time you want it activated. You can suspend this whenever you want so there’s no cost when you’re not using it.

https://explore.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/

Is that per calender month, or per '30 days' ?

I was going in the mountains on the 28th Feb - 2nd March would that be 2 months payments ?
If so it adds a fair bit of cost to 'a weekend away'.

taxino8

« Reply #39 on: 11:56:30, 27/02/19 »

Is that per calender month, or per '30 days' ?

I was going in the mountains on the 28th Feb - 2nd March would that be 2 months payments ?
If so it adds a fair bit of cost to 'a weekend away'.
It’s for thirty days. I’ve suspended mine last month and it will start again on the day I reactivate it for a thirty day period.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy