Author Topic: Two Moors Way  (Read 10830 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Two Moors Way
« Reply #60 on: 21:27:06, 22/08/19 »
Morchard Bishop to Tarr Steps in a day is serious strolling GWM.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 09:54:46, 23/08/19 »
It was, but for me, it was an unusual day. I have no idea why but I felt perfectly fit that day. My boots were comfortable, my legs felt strong, I've never had joint pains so that's good, my rucksack fitted so well and hardly noticed it as I strolled on and the opportunity to buy coffee and cake was always there. I really should have stopped at Knowstone and would have done if the pub was open. Whilst I hesitated there, a local man with his dog walked passed and we chatted and he told me that the Tarr Farm Pub would be open and that I could make it within three hours. The timing was also in my favour, I knew that I had the daylight hours with me, so impulsively I said to myself go for it!

The terrain helped, it's made for comfortable walking and on the road sections, it was easy to pile on the miles, a bit hard on the feet though. I was most surprised to find in your area of Devon, between Dartmoor and Exmoor, the population seemed to be very sparse. You could build a big city where you live and still have countryside around the edges. As I walked through the fields, woods and along lanes the feeling of being alone for long periods of time was a very real experience.

I did the Two Moors Way in two sections, over the whole route I only met three walkers, a husband and wife just approaching Ivybridge as I started the first section and one other hiker going south in my second section. That really did surprise me, I thought I would meet a lot more. I camped alone where ever I stayed, even at Lynmouth I was the only tent on the site.

I really enjoyed the bus trip from Lynmouth to Barnstaple, the driver obviously knew every twist and turn, when to hug the hedges, when to drive hell for leather on the straight sections and how to hold his nerve and make lorries, vans and cars back up into entrances so he would always be making his way onward.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:16:31, 23/08/19 »
You had a wilder bus ride than us then!  ;D

We took just over two days to get from Morchard Road to Tarr Steps, though they were our shorter days.
You could have camped at Partridge Arms Farm in West Anstey, though you may not have got a meal unless prebooked, but I got the impression they try to help out if they can. We too saw very few people walking it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 13:29:29, 23/08/19 »
Did you mean the Partridge Arms Farm at Yeo Mill, if you did I missed that place completely? I must have been on drone mode at the time. I did speak to an Australian bloke sitting in the garden of a small cottage just before the road went uphill again and he didn't know of anywhere. No one else was around to ask so I just walked on to West Anstey and carried on again.

Before getting to Yeo Mill I walked past a Tapas Bar, in the middle of nowhere, that took me by surprise! Did you see it or use it?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 14:32:03, 23/08/19 »
Yes thats the one. It’s an old pink Devon longhouse, used to be a pub years ago, they still have a bar. We were the only ones staying there. Not sure how you missed it you can see it from the path/road and there’s a couple of big signs!  ;D  Mind you I don’t recall seeing the tapas place!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 11:04:08, 24/08/19 »
The Tapas Bar was between the edge of Owlaborough Moor and B3227 road and was set back from the Two Moors track in New Moor Plantation, which is about a mile before Yeo Mill. I only glanced at it as I walked past, but I noticed it properly when I saw their sign as I put my feet onto the tarmac at the road. It still intrigues me, a Tapas Bar in a Devon wood? I keep wishing now that I'd properly investigated.

For anyone thinking of hiking and camping the Two Moors Way in the future, one of the places I camped was called 'Lake View' about 4 minutes walk from Morchard View train station and 6 minutes from the pub. The pub gave me the number to ring, Mrs Barber 01368 85187. It's just a small field, with freshwater and one caravan on-site and next to it is a lake where people come to fish.

The Two Moors Way is also one of those walks where it can easily be divided into two shorter hikes, by getting off the train at Morchard Road you can hike to Ivybridge, or the other way round, Ivybridge to Morchard Road, or to hike from Morchard Road to Lynton, then bus to Barnstaple or vice versa. Or do it all in one go.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 11:32:16, 24/08/19 »

Here's the link to the Wild Woods Tapas Bar

https://www.wildwoodstapas.co.uk/tapas-bar/menu/

We're very on trend here in Devon, GWM
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 11:35:25, 24/08/19 »
That's the one, thanks for that. I wished I'd gone in.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 14:03:55, 01/09/19 »
When I set off to catch the train to Devon recently it was cancelled at the last minute (no guard) and I had to wait for the next one. I made a claim and it's just been confirmed that GWR has just reimbursed me with £20. So my £20 each way trip only cost me £10 each way. Not bad!

I went on YouTube yesterday and watched a video of the Two Moors Way hosted by a lady called Abbie Barnes. I enjoyed it and her commentary very much, I thought she was rather good at it, not an 'um and an ah' at any point. I like that! Nice to see all the places I walked displayed before my very eyes, she even camped in the same field I did when she arrived at Morchard Road. There was one sad moment as she hiked across Dartmoor and I really felt for her!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy