Author Topic: New Facebook page NoGogondola  (Read 8197 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: New Facebook page NoGogondola
« Reply #15 on: 09:14:40, 17/08/18 »
The whole thing just defies logic - numbers of visitors have increased from 15m to 19m in a very short period, and the authority tasked with protecting the park come up with a plan to put a ski lift on a hillside to increase visitor numbers.  Complete nonsense.  The issue of transport links is well documented and well known to anyone who goes to the Lake District - surely the investment would be better spent in developing proper transport infrastructure - improved buses (by improved I mean more buses), park and ride schemes to reduce vehicle numbers in hot spots etc. Electric hire bikes? One thing is for sure, a ski lift is not part of a sustainable transport plan.

Talking to people at the recent Latrigg rally - apparently many of the long term staff at the LDNPA are appalled at the current plans and management.  Hardly surprising if they love the lakes.

I also note that we haven't seen any plans or artists impressions of the infrastructure needed for the proposed gondola - anyone who has been to the alps will know that these are BIG buildings, not just a hut with pulley in it.  They have a large ugly footprint and they create noise.  They scar the landscape.  They do not promote health - walking up does that!

I can sense I'm beginning to rant so I'm going to do some work.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:33:25, 17/08/18 »
I can sense I'm beginning to rant so I'm going to do some work.

:) I feel exactly the same, I think Beefy is a bit fed up of me going on about it  :)

Talking to people at the recent Latrigg rally - apparently many of the long term staff at the LDNPA are appalled at the current plans and management.  Hardly surprising if they love the lakes.

The National Parks are OURS and it is up to US what should happen to them. I am not surprised the other staff at the LDNPA are appalled. Perhaps we need to look at how Leafe and co are given these jobs and by whom. They need to be removed from their jobs IMO, they are not fit to be in them if they are coming up with suggestions like this gondola thing. Perhaps we need to get letter writing? I will try and find out who we need to write to.

I am ranting now.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:56:03, 18/10/18 »
This article was in the Keswick Reminder last week

https://www.facebook.com/nogogondola.org/photos/a.1164014137088805/1164014107088808/?type=3&theater

Trudy Harrison MP is a force to be reckoned with  :) I admire her tenacity if not the party she represents  ;) She works very hard for the people in the area and is very effective, in the same way Tim Farron is for his constituents.
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #18 on: 09:52:29, 18/10/18 »
The National Parks are OURS and it is up to US what should happen to them.

Strictly speaking, the National Parks aren't actually OURS.   Most of the land within the Lake District National Park is privately owned.   The National Trust owns about 25% and the next biggest landowners are United Utilities, the Forestry Commission, the Lowther Estate and Dalemain.   The Lake District National Park Authority owns less than 4% of the land in the Park.

The 20 members of the Lake District National Park are the ones who have the final say.    5 of them are appointed by Cumbria County Council.   5 by the Local District Councils and 10 by the Secretary of State

Richard Leafe heads up the Executive Board of the LDNPA.  More info here:
http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/aboutus/careers/meet-our-team/executive-board

I'm not defending R Leafe and Co, and I am as much against the idea of the Lake District National Park being exploited for monetary greed too as you are.  I certainly believe that there's a grave danger of the 'goose killing the golden egg' when it comes to visitor numbers and the proposed so-called visitor attractions

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:54:51, 18/10/18 »
Strictly speaking, the National Parks aren't actually OURS.   

I did know already that the nation does not own the land in the Lake District, or the land in other national parks. My use of the word ours was referring to the fact that National Parks were created for the nation, so all of us have a right to put our point of view across if we are unhappy at the way it is being managed, wherever we happen to live. There are some people who think you have to live or work within a national park's boundaries to have a voice about any plans or policies when this is not the case. We, the general public, all of us, elect the councillors or government who are responsible for managing our national parks, in the LDNPA's case it is the county council, local councils and the Secretary of State. I did check this back in August when I wrote the post about writing letters to the people who select the people managing the LDNP. In my mind that means all of us elect the people who select the people in charge of the LDNPA doesn't it?

A quote from the LDNPA website 
"National Parks are protected under legislation and the planning system to ensure conservation and enhancement of their special qualities not just for the present, but also for future generations of residents and visitors."

Legislation made by our government, the government we all vote for. So they should be accountable to us lot!

Us lot in action - we have been opposing their plans
http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/Plan-to-help-shape-future-of-Lake-District-set-for-delay-e859f99a-205b-4164-85ef-72317ebfe5c7-ds?fbclid=IwAR0AUpYPRzArhXl1HZqFnzKeFjPv0YImMG9EeDc4jnP9waMLTckX2jtB0CQ#.W8ehwRY3htQ.facebook

A quote from the Campaign for National Parks website
"Our Parks are also 'living landscapes', home to diverse communities. National Parks must be conserved for the benefit of all, now and in the future - they are "not ours, but ours to look after"."
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:35:08, 18/10/18 »
100% right.

Wonderfully well put April.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #21 on: 08:09:02, 19/10/18 »
A quote from the Campaign for National Parks website
"Our Parks are also 'living landscapes', home to diverse communities. National Parks must be conserved for the benefit of all, now and in the future - they are "not ours, but ours to look after"."

they are "not ours, but ours to look after  

I think that quote sums it up very nicely.   :-)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:01:53, 19/10/18 »

they are "not ours, but ours to look after

Yes, we are the custodians for a short while. To make sure it isn't spoilt for future generations.
It is quite some responsibility, so we need to be vigilant against the money grabbers who care not one bit about the heritage: I know it's a cliche but the saying fits them well - 'they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing'
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:28:39, 19/10/18 »
100% right.

beefy will agree with you, I'm always right  ;)

Sorry I think I got a bit carried away when I wrote that last night.

"they are "not ours, but ours to look after"

It does  :)

we need to be vigilant against the money grabbers who care not one bit about the heritage

Constant vigilance  O0

I think Zip Off: Lakes Watch also have the same catchphrase
https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/zipofflakeswatch/posts/?ref=page_internal

Previously they were the Zip Off page that campaigned so well fighting the Thirlmere Zip Wires and they continue being on watch for us all  O0
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:55:42, 19/10/18 »

Sorry I think I got a bit carried away when I wrote that last night.

No need to apologise April - passion is what will(hopefully)win this battle (and common sense too!)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:56:16, 25/10/18 »
Interesting tweet from Zip Off Lakes watch.

https://twitter.com/ZipOffCampaign/status/1054790996331020288

Why won't they tell us who the cable car developer is?

And another from

Rambling in Ireby
https://twitter.com/In_Ireby/status/1055011491273945088

Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:07:53, 25/10/18 »
Very interesting.
Not that I really care who the developer is so long as they don't develop!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:22:43, 26/10/18 »
Gotta love an open public consultation haven't you. >:(

Petrolhead

« Reply #28 on: 11:17:37, 26/10/18 »
Just had an offer from the "honourable" Mr. Leafe to meet me in person to discuss my "misguided" views on his management of the Lake District. Not joking.

Should I? I think I'd need sedating before hand!

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 12:28:39, 26/10/18 »
You should go, see what he has to say.   No eyeball popping though.
Not all those who wander are lost

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy