Author Topic: Tryfan north ridge  (Read 1921 times)

dank86

Tryfan north ridge
« on: 21:34:02, 18/11/17 »
Hi everyone, im bringing a group of friends up to snowdon next april for a few days. We are going to do snowdon going up ryhd ddu and down the rangers path should be pretty simple for the group as ive lead them a few times through the Beacons itll also introduce them to an easy ridge.

The day after im thinking of something a bit more tricky for them, Tryfans north nidge. Im wondering though if it would be worth taking some ropes and gear as this will be their first proper scrambling and if it possible helps calm some nerves. Im also looking at potentially going over to glyder fach and fawr.

What do you think is it worth taking ropes and gear?

dinger

Re: Tryfan north ridge
« Reply #1 on: 23:58:52, 18/11/17 »

I wrote article 2 down , regarding myself and a experienced climber who did Tryfan north ridge the other week, I personally needed it on part of a scramble because of the icy conditions and wasn't to confident to climb my final step because of the drop one side, so personally I would say yes just because of my own experience. Ive done plenty of hikes and a few scrambles but this time I lost confidence in myself, apart from that little incident it was fine, but its easy on North ridge to get in difficulty, once commited myself on some parts its easier to continue up then coming back down.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:38:40, 19/11/17 »
It very much depends on the weather and experience of the group members.
The North Ridge of Tryfan is not technically difficult, but if any members of your group party, dislike heights and exposure, its not the best route to take them on.
You should not really require a rope, and the scrambling is not that technical, but the exposure on the ridge itself, is quite severe, not the place to take novice walkers afraid of heights.

Its also requires careful navigation, as its very easy to stray off the main ridge itself, and find yourself on difficult and challenging rock, so it might be a good idea to take a rope, just as a precaution.

dank86

« Reply #3 on: 20:42:47, 19/11/17 »
Thanks ms for the tips, we are all confident of our abilities done a lot of hiking together. I used to be a climbing instructor so happy with rope work (still climb) I was thinking more as a precaution and incase people got a little nervous it may offer a bit of reassurance.

As with all these things it's probably best decided on the day, if someone really doesn't like the look of it heather terrace is always an option or another mountain. I know a few want to make the leap between Adam and Eve

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:42:59, 20/11/17 »
You shouldn't need a rope it's a grade 1 scramble and an adventurous hiker should have no difficulty I wouldn't say it's a particularly exposed route except on the nose but there are plenty of big jugs by the easiest route which is on the left side of the "face"
I would say the only real route finding issue is when to get on the North ridge itself from the traversing path a basic rule of thumb if you are coming up from milestone lay by when you see Ogwen mrt hut start looking for a likely way up and there are plenty of cairns to follow and polished rocks
The beauty of Tryfan NR is you can make it as easy or as hard as you like
It's well worth downloading a route beforehand and adding Bristly ridge afterwards makes a really good day

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy