Author Topic: Amazon - dodgy practices?  (Read 1891 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Amazon - dodgy practices?
« on: 13:18:27, 15/09/18 »
Recently I was looking for a silk sleeping bag liner. Amazon kept coming up as a cheap source, however closer inspection showed their "silk" liners to not having one iota of silk in them. I reported each item as being contrary to trades description etc. Two weeks later they are still  there still classed as silk.Also I have realised that they are often amongst the cheapest for anything you look for EXCEPT the cheap item is never available, however the same item is frequently available at a dearer price.Seems to me they are doing to hiking gear what they did to books. Offer gear so cheap that the shops have to close down and they then raise prices to make even bigger profits in Luxembourg or the Republic of Ireland or wherever they pay the least in taxes.Rant over.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Amazon - dodgy practices?
« Reply #1 on: 13:51:04, 15/09/18 »
If you don't like them, the answer is simple, stop using them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:59:13, 15/09/18 »
If the item is being supplied by a third party trader through Amazon I'm not sure a false goods description would be down to Amazon
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:30:01, 15/09/18 »
I always make a careful examination of the sellers profile who is selling on Amazons website.
Most but not all have a clearly displayed feedback rating, and should have a contact address if their a UK based dealer.

Occasionally Ive bought items off Amazon, in the belief that the dealer or seller was a British based company, but later discovered the item i purchased was coming from the Far East, usually China (Hong Kong)

Amazon do not always make it easy to discover just where a particular item is coming from, so buyer beware, as a very cheap advertised price may turn out to be an expensive mistake.

I do agree that its not always easy to ascertain just exactly where a product is coming from, so a bit of buyers caution is always called for.

Amazon should really be more transparent in providing a customer a full report on every dealer they allow to use their site.

I am sure they must ask questions to everyone who wants to use their site to sell their goods, why then can't they make it more clear for the buyer.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:32:13, 15/09/18 »
(1) If they are stocking what I want and get it to me quickest at the right price then I may use them. Though I have made less and less use of them this past year.
(2) Amazon are the company I would pay my money to so they must be liable under the trades descriptions act same as shop based retailers  ( I. E. for instance the shop is liable for the description and fit for purpose rules on stock placed in a shop on sale or return basis  or through franchise  counters)
(3) I have unimaginative friends and relatives who give me Amazon gift vouchers as presents. I could change my shopping habits but I cannot change my family😁��😁

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:39:18, 15/09/18 »
It's full of dodgy goods.

We're stupid. We're letting a foreign company put local firms out of business, helping decimate the high streets whilst not even getting a fraction of the tax we used to get. But what can you do? The government needs to change the tax system. Either charge tax on sales or make our tax so low these firms pay it here instead of Ireland. Now we're out of the EU that's an option....I'll stop there!  ;D

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:59:15, 15/09/18 »
That's the very reason i do not buy as much as i did, two years ago, on Amazons site.
Such a huge wealthy company, that cleverly avoids paying virtually any UK tax, is not a company i want to use.
Their prices may be very keen, but Ive noticed a lot of more reputable companies here in the UK, are reducing their prices to play on a level plainfield with Amazon.

Shop around and spend your money wisely, with a company who pays their fare rate of tax.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:13:06, 15/09/18 »
I now avoid buying walking gear from Amazon. I bought some Merrell moab shoes from them and they fell apart in no time at all, yet the same shoes from Cotswold are still going strong after 2 years. Do Amazon get rejects to sell or sub standard items made to a price to attract.
It's all uphill from here.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 21:48:11, 15/09/18 »
Theres certainly strange things going on with them, but they seem to be untouchable at the mo.

IveIhad a problem with them where I enquired about a price. I won't bore you with details, but basically they cancelled my order without asking, refunded me and raised the price of the item. When I complained I was given the run around and eventually they hung up on me, stopped answering my calls AND emails. They just shut me out completely. It was bizarre.

My girlfriend is having an issue where a seller has sent the wrong item, she returned it and is still waiting for a refund. At one point Amazon said if they don't refund, Amazon will pay up themselves. After months of this going on, proof of return postage sent, the seller is still trading on Amazon and Amazon have washed their hands of it. Again it is just bizarre and very frustrating.

Their customer service has become terrible. I will say though, their prices are rarely the best anymore and I can honestly see them losing momentum if they don't keep up with customer service and fast delivery(their prime next day delivery is often not next day anymore)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:18:45, 15/09/18 »
I won't use Amazon.  Poor services and dodgy dealers.  Or maybe I just know my way around flee bay better.  Either way. I no longer use them.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:32:15, 15/09/18 »
I used too but not any more, tried to catch me too many tomes with prime
you have 1 life live it

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:53:01, 16/09/18 »

Hello,
I think I am right in saying that Amazon, like so many of these on-line sellers, say that paying VAT is all that they need do for tax payments.  A real joke this in that we as purchasers pay the VAT and like all other traders they simply collect the tax on behalf of the Government.
I now don't do much buying from this company also after experiencing the tricks that they get up to with the Prime thing.
This in spite of living nearly fifty miles away from big stores....the convenience of not  having purchases delivered swiftly to my door has to be bourne.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:09:21, 16/09/18 »
Perhaps they will add to their account of supporting the GB economy the £2000 worth of vet's bills paid for one of their van drivers running over Elizabeth Hurley's dog.

;)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:57:36, 16/09/18 »
No, Their van drivers are self employed sub contractors who have to arrange their own insurance. (Oh and they are so self employed that they are not allowed to work for anyone else).Which I was led to believe is a breach of HMRC rules on proof of self employment.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 06:32:01, 17/09/18 »
 :D Perhaps they only admit liability for celebrities. Or so the Mail on Sunday reported, though that is as Mrs BWW read it, celebrities are not a topic that I bother much with.
Now if it was a story about a landowner hogging vast acres of our countryside, I might have taken more interest.  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy