Author Topic: Am I hallucinating?  (Read 1993 times)

Pitboot

Am I hallucinating?
« on: 06:09:29, 17/09/18 »
https://www.bfgcdn.com/1500_1500_90/517-0051-0111/fjaellraeven-ground-sheet-sleeping-pad.jpg

I was just having a look on various websites and came across the above sleep mat. (The sound you just heard was my chin hitting the table.)

Have I missed something or is this actually just a closed cell foam mat?

The price on the Alpine Trek website is around £56!!!!!!!!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Re: Am I hallucinating?
« Reply #1 on: 10:52:10, 17/09/18 »
https://www.bfgcdn.com/1500_1500_90/517-0051-0111/fjaellraeven-ground-sheet-sleeping-pad.jpg

I was just having a look on various websites and came across the above sleep mat. (The sound you just heard was my chin hitting the table.)

Have I missed something or is this actually just a closed cell foam mat?

The price on the Alpine Trek website is around £56!!!!!!!!

I wonder if they've ever sold one?

They haven't even pimped it out with mostly pointless "advanced technologies" (i.e. dimples or a silver colour). Literally just a CCF mat for nearly £60.

Is that brand highly desirable or something?

RogerA

« Reply #2 on: 13:19:00, 17/09/18 »
Google translation of the description:
https://www.bergfreunde.de/fjaellraeven-ground-sheet-isomatte/
product description Admittedly, Fjällräven's Ground Sheet mattress is not really an alternative to the tried-and-tested thermal pads when it comes to pack size and insulation. The soft mat is very versatile, lightweight, durable and easy to care for. The pressed foam material makes it suitable for use in warmer conditions when camping and traveling. On the trekking rucksack, the mat can be easily fixed with the supplied compression straps. The monotony and the subtle logo print give a valuable appearance. Also to protect the sleeping bag and as a base for working, but especially during training (gymnastics) and yoga makes the Ground Sheet mattress very good!

Even their own description dosent seem to believe the price is worth it ... they also sell alongside one at under half the price and 1/3 the weight:https://www.bergfreunde.de/relags-expeditionsmatte-kanchen-junga-isomatte/
But I dont use mats like this and know nothing about them

humansnail

« Reply #3 on: 19:23:00, 17/09/18 »

That does seem like a crazy price...……..

I've often wondered if there is any point in paying much for a closed cell foam mat. Most of the year I use a 3/4 length thermarest neo air and beef it up in the colder months with a closed cell foam mat from decathlon. It's reasonably thick (well thicker than the thin very cheap blue ones you get from gooutdoors) with silver foil stuff on one side.  I think it cost about a tenner or something. Seems to do the job for me, however I've never camped out in snow.....

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:17:32, 17/09/18 »
LoL, £5 at Trago mills Bodmin.

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 07:11:39, 18/09/18 »
Fjallraven is an expensive and to some a desirable brand, but nearly £60 for a closed cell foam mat is extracting the michael. I was issued something similar in the army, they are tough and they do insulate very well but they are bulky.
I used to use a much cheaper civvy version (a Karrimat) and it did the job.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:28:51, 18/09/18 »
At 470g this is way heavier, and at 20mm a lot thicker than a standard closed cell mat. Still seems ridiculously expensive though.
Very bulky to carry too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:52:16, 19/09/18 »

I used to use a much cheaper civvy version (a Karrimat) and it did the job.
I have still got one that is more than thirty years old and is still serviceable.I purchased it when the Falklands War was going on so it shows how old it is.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:32:53, 19/09/18 »
I have still got one that is more than thirty years old and is still serviceable.I purchased it when the Falklands War was going on so it shows how old it is.

I too have a 30 year old Karrimat - still use it.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

KimE

« Reply #9 on: 19:03:17, 04/10/18 »

[font=]"The monotony and the subtle logo print give a valuable appearance."
[font=]

[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']45£ for the logo. :D  
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']

[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']I once saw a young korean couple in the Swedish mountians both dessed top to toe in Fjällräven clothes standing by a Fjällräven tent. They probably had a Fjällräven mat in the tent. If you dont have any experience of the swedish alps just buy fjällräven gear and you are good to go, easy marketing.  
[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']

[font='verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif']A korean women died last week on Kebnekaise her two companions couldnt help her to the station then she became sick or tyed, only 3km away in the very bad weather and snow on the ground. (The reasons are under investigation.) The cabins close around last september its a good indicator it may be a bad time of the year to do a walk.  

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:42:59, 04/10/18 »
'celebrity' endorsements do need paying for

'an evening with Alan Hinkes OBE' <shudders>

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy