Author Topic: Where is this?  (Read 2098 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Where is this?
« on: 09:26:24, 13/07/19 »
I was looking at YouTube videos of the Carneddau - there are absolutely loads of them! - and I came across this one,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiB84tSeh5I
Can anyone identify which peak it is? Just wondering, I've no intention of doing anything like that myself!
I am guessing from the poster's name that they are not from the UK, and there's no text on the page to say where it is.

Another question while I'm posting, I also watched one of a couple climbing Elidir Fawr at the north end of the Glyders,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RIGleN85tY
where I got the impression there's been a lot of construction work at Marchlyn Mawr reservoir since I walked around there in 1996. Is that correct?

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Where is this?
« Reply #1 on: 09:49:35, 13/07/19 »
What a boring video I couldn't be bothered to watch it all. But, it could be Pen-y-helgi-du you can just about make out Ffynron Llugwy reservoir through the mist behind the woman walker.

It's years since I last did it so I could be way out but that route came straight to mind.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:55:44, 13/07/19 »
What a boring video I couldn't be bothered to watch it all. But, it could be Pen-y-helgi-du you can just about make out Ffynron Llugwy reservoir through the mist behind the woman walker.

It's years since I last did it so I could be way out but that route came straight to mind.
That is a possibility, but it is many years since I did that and in the opposite direction. The rock looks too loose for Pen Yr Olewen. There are not many clues in the video, as it is almost impossible to see anything except close ups of a few rocks.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:04:31, 15/07/19 »
Thanks for your thoughts, guys, and I think Owen is right. Having watched some more YouTube videos, it does now look very much like Bwlch Eryl Farchog that links Pen yr Helgi Du with Carnedd Llewelyn.

But boring? Not for someone like me who suffers from vertigo - both the phobia and the medical condition - as well as having bad balance to boot. Admittedly some sound in the video would help it, and the man's jacket collar was often in the way, but it really reminds me of what it's like plodding up a sharp mountain ridge in misty conditions and how scary to me the exposure can be.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:23:02, 15/07/19 »
Firstly i thought it might be on the southern slopes of the terribly steep Pen Yr Ole Wen from Ogwen route, but on recollection, there is less heather and undergrowth at the top.

It looks more like the path from above Fynon Llugwy on to the saddle on Craig Yr Ysfa, where the Cwm Eigiau horseshoe routes descends from Carnedd lewellyn.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:15:49, 15/07/19 »

But boring? Not for someone like me who suffers from vertigo -

I was referring to the standard of filming not the route. It's actually  only a short section of scrambling on an otherwise straightforward ridge walk. I do appreciate that what is a fun exciting walk for some is a terrifying route to others.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy