Author Topic: What was your 214th Wainwright or what would it be, and why?  (Read 5427 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
A question mainly put to those members who have completed the 214 Wainwrights or are ticking them off  O0

I've still under 40 to do and never thought about which Fell I'd like to be number 214 until recently so I looked at my list and most of my remaining hills are in clusters that can be done in day walks and a few individual ones.

I think number 214 would/will be Catstye Cam including Striding and Swirral edges as Catstye Cam is one of the few hills that I can see for miles around and know what hill it is rather than wondering what a hill is, like I do with most. I think if I complete the Wainwrights that on future walks when I see Catstye Cam it will raise a smile.

Anyway, what was your 214th Wainwright or your planned 214th and was/is there any particular reason behind it?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Strider

• Veteran Member
Got loads left to do as I keep doing the same ones! Great End is the highest fell I have left but it looks like we'll be doing that on the April meet; I'm thinking maybe Place Fell for my last one as it's a prominent position.  It ain't gonna be Binsey!
Not all those who wander are lost

Percy

• Veteran Member
Mine was Stone Arthur. It wasn't really planned.

By the time it occurred to me to 'do the Wainwrights' I'd been walking in the Lakes for around 20 years so hadn't done them methodically at all.

I ended up with odd ones dotted everywhere. My last few were all over the place: Seathwaite Fell, Great Mell Fell, Sale Fell, Hard Knott, that sort of thing.

When I had about 20 left there was a vague plan to finish on Great End, for obvious reasons, but I happened to be passing it one day ...
« Last Edit: 15:02:01, 06/03/19 by Percy »

Percy

• Veteran Member
Got loads left to do as I keep doing the same ones! Great End is the highest fell I have left but it looks like we'll be doing that on the April meet
We certainly will.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I finished on Green Crag but, like Percy, it wasn't really planned it just worked out that way.

My son should finish his in 4 walks when we are in the Lakes this summer and between us we've mostly planned what was left so that there are still some classic ones. So he still has Coniston Old Man and the Fairfield Horseshoe, though he has already done Fairfield.
His last one will be Dodd because it is also the first one he ever went up when he was 3 months old.

Petrolhead

I've done three!

Catbells, Haystacks and Arnison Crag. I guess it's possible that I did others on the way that I wasn't aware of. I plan to do many more but I can't imagine I'll ever do them all. It's an amazing to me that anyone can tick them all off. Some major dedication there.

However, IF I was to plan to do them all, I'd definitely finish with Haystacks. I can't imagine a better way to tick off such a huge undertaking by making the last one the favourite of the great man himself.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lots of comments which ring true on here - Catsytcam is a great choice Bricam - one of my favourites, I sat eating breakfast on the summit on my birthday last year.  Also, like Percy I had many dots to mop up, and we had Hard Knott and Seathwaite Fell in common. 

And like Ridge's son, my last one was also my first, though the first time was sat on my dad's shoulders at 5 years old - Wansfell, almost exactly 50 years to the day later!

Like Strider, If I finish a second round the last one won't be Binsey.

Petrolhead - I think it depends on where you live, how big an undertaking it is.  I live northern edge of Liverpool, 5 minutes from the M58, and can be walking virtually anywhere in the Lakes, apart from Wasdale/Ennerdale, within 2 hours of leaving home, so day trips on a Saturday are easy, and weekends easier still.  If you live further away, then visits are more difficult and less frequent - dedication is certainly needed, but its a great challenge, and pushes you into places you might otherwise avoid, which, for the most part are very rewarding. 

MarkT

Having only done 43 Wainwright's and living so far away, by the time I manage to complete them all I will probably be in my 80's or 90's.

Therefore my last one would have to be either the lowest, Castle Crag or the easiest  :)

However, by then who knows what the Lakes will have installed or built around the fells. maybe a stair lift or cable cars (let's hope not).

I am planning to mark my 50th Wainwright with either Great End or Scafell.

jontea

• Veteran Member
I've still got another 75 to do, so a long way to go yet, but I do need to start thinking about my last one.

I'm hoping to be joined by family members and friends for that final one, so nothing too difficult, fairly small and near a pub  :D

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
I've still got another 75 to do, so a long way to go yet, but I do need to start thinking about my last one.

I'm hoping to be joined by family members and friends for that final one, so nothing too difficult, fairly small and near a pub  :D

I should probably do the same, I'm accelerating massively with how fast I'm ticking off the Wainwrights.  I do think when you're 'finished', there are a few hills you remember climbing in heavy clag and probably want to go again for a 'Full Round', as I'm not sure it really counts if you can barely see anything from the top.   But maybe that is just my inner completionist wanting an excuse to get back on the hills!

Catstye Cam is almost guaranteed to not be my 214 because I like doing the Edges too much, but perhaps it'll be something like Lonscale Fell, Melbreak or Wansfell (as it's close to a pub).    Ideally I'd like something with a great view, not too much of a walk in, but also not a hugely busy fell would be nice.  Just sit on the top and reflect, because even if I end up climbing 50 a year from this point, it would have still be a 20 year journey to finish them all.

Percy

• Veteran Member
I do think when you're 'finished', there are a few hills you remember climbing in heavy clag and probably want to go again for a 'Full Round', as I'm not sure it really counts if you can barely see anything from the top.   But maybe that is just my inner completionist wanting an excuse to get back on the hills!
I have exactly this list in my head. I've got about a dozen that were in the clag and another 2 that were in whiteout conditions.

humansnail

First off, great idea for a post Bricam - I've really enjoyed reading the responses so far. I'm similar to a few who have already posted, I've done "roughly" 140. I say roughly as I know I  have done more but didn't keep a record at the time and any that I am not totally sure that I have completed, I haven't recorded. Also, I too have done some of the really great lakeland hills many times over, either to try out different routes or to take friends up who haven't been or just because I enjoyed them so much! :)

I had no intention of completing them at the start and approached them in a totally random manner, the only real reason I did start recording them was to encourage myself to explore different areas instead of frequenting the same places over and over. I'm really glad that I did start as it has taken me to some lovely hills/areas that I don't think I would have ever got around to doing/visiting.

As for what will be my last, I think it will just be whatever one is left. There are a few that don't particularly interest me and wouldn't really be worth a 2 1/2 h drive just to say I've done them, but no doubt when I get closer to the magic number, I'll make the effort to tick them off.

I find hill lists useful and handy but I'm not particularly motivated to complete them and when/if I do complete the Wainwrights I don't think I'll treat it as anything special as I'll still keep going back to the lakes whenever I get the chance. Having said that, I do respect those that are motivated by lists and I view those that have completed the wainwrights as fonts of knowledge! O0 

I'm sort of jealous of you organised folk who have worked through them in a systematic manner and have a great hill pencilled in as your last! ;D

Percy

• Veteran Member
I had no intention of completing them at the start and approached them in a totally random manner, the only real reason I did start recording them was to encourage myself to explore different areas instead of frequenting the same places over and over. I'm really glad that I did start as it has taken me to some lovely hills/areas that I don't think I would have ever got around to doing/visiting.
This is why I finished them. On a forum meet we did Gowbarrow and Little Mell Fell, I would’ve never chosen that if I had only a day in the Lakes but it was a fantastic walk. So the penny dropped - use the list to see the possibilities - a means to an end rather than the end itself.

Petrolhead

Petrolhead - I think it depends on where you live, how big an undertaking it is.  I live northern edge of Liverpool, 5 minutes from the M58, and can be walking virtually anywhere in the Lakes, apart from Wasdale/Ennerdale, within 2 hours of leaving home, so day trips on a Saturday are easy, and weekends easier still.  If you live further away, then visits are more difficult and less frequent - dedication is certainly needed, but its a great challenge, and pushes you into places you might otherwise avoid, which, for the most part are very rewarding.

Absolutely! It's getting on a 5.5 hour journey for us so day trips are totally out of the question. If we lived within 2 hours of the Lakes, we'd be there as often as possible.

Plus as we only started doing any serious walking in May last year, we're still going through ticking off the big ones like Haystacks and Catbells etc.

I'm sure we'll tick off a few more over the years but with so many other places we want to visit, new Wainwrights will be slow going and generally the more popular ones I would expect.

photonut

My last one (the first time round) was Rannerdale Knotts.  The reason being it was an easy one for some friends to join me that started me out walking Wainwright Fells on Latrigg some 5 months earlier.

My second time around was totally planned, to do the Wainwrights in a set number of walks and I finished on Wetherlam having done them in 35 walks.  Wetherlam was one of my favourites the first time around.

If all goes to plan  ::)  my third time should be complete on Saturday 13th April on Scafell Pike.... if the plan is to go there of course.  If not I may have to pop to the summit while everyone has their butties!!  :buck2:

I totally understand you Petrolhead... when you are a distance away it's not so easy.  A 5.5hr journey makes a day trip impossible really.  But when you do get the the LD it really is worth it and you appreciate it even more I guess.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy