Author Topic: Galloway forrest  (Read 2376 times)

dinger

Galloway forrest
« on: 21:19:49, 21/06/18 »

Great 2 nights in Galloway.
Started from Loch Trool up to the Merrick , which was a great walk but coming down the otherside was a nightmare, marsh, peat bogs ,ankle breakers and took ages to find a suitable spot for wild camping which we did but not the best spot.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Galloway forrest
« Reply #1 on: 22:58:53, 21/06/18 »
Interesting - not a part of Scotland that I know well.

Any pictures?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:16:28, 22/06/18 »
When you say 'down the other side' which way did you go, out of interest?

I've never camped there myself but the little beach at the eastern end of Loch Neldricken always strikes me as a good spot to overnight, if the midges don't get ya :).  If you fancy bothying there is one, called Tunskeen, about 3 miles north of Merrick's summit.
Not all those who wander are lost

dinger

« Reply #3 on: 23:23:37, 22/06/18 »
Yes came down towards loch Neldriken, which had a nice white beach actually but the pegs would not stay in the ground so ended close to a sheepfold not to far.
« Last Edit: 23:30:39, 22/06/18 by dinger »

Dan1902

« Reply #4 on: 18:59:50, 17/07/18 »
Have been planning a wild camping trip to Galloway Forest in October, specifically Loch Trool.
Am going to try and do a last minute thing as I want wait to see what the weather is going to be like.Would be my first time to Scotland and hopefully little to no midges end of October!
Been planning a few routes and potential camping spots on OS maps etc and made a note of the bothies in the area.

dinger

« Reply #5 on: 20:30:22, 17/07/18 »
there is a bothie near loch trool, but personally I would camp outside it when we visited the rubbish left was discusting food left behind and a side entrance which was obviously used has a toilet.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:36:09, 17/07/18 »
Unfortunately Culsharg bothy is too attractive to undesirable types who mess the place up.
Not all those who wander are lost

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:20:00, 18/07/18 »
Mrs BWW and I walked the Merrick from Loch Trool a few years ago. It was a great walk, only a day circular and the first time but we were fortunate to find the Grey Man.

A local lady pointed out an area north west, it had some very interesting geology apparently. But it was a bit too far too include in our day.
The return from the Grey man was not too difficult, we found a trail over the Rig of Loch Enoch ridge and fortunately kept to a high contour around the Murder Hole, skirted around the eastern flank of Meaul keeping high for as long as possible, before joining the track back to Gairland Burn.
Seemed to work pretty good, probably a lot wetter than this year.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:39:47, 18/07/18 »
The terrain in Galloway is notoriously variable:- easy walking on decent paths, easy walking on pathless slabby rock, very wet and boggy ravines to dense twisting tussocks especially near the 'lanes' (watercourses). It's a superbly wild area for backpacking, normally very few people apart from the popular route up the Merrick and, to a lesser extent, the Rhins of Kells (we have a few Galloway backpack reports on our site).

We've also heard about those bothies being frequented by boozy yobs and vandals, it would seem so unlikely being pretty remote. The relative difficulty of access to the heartland is one of the reasons for so few people.

dinger

« Reply #9 on: 16:20:56, 18/07/18 »

Yeah im guessing its not to far from loch trool car park really hence reason boozed up partys walk here and leave there crap.
Its a pity because its in a nice location but just been abused!

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:34:15, 30/07/18 »
Remember going up Merrick a few years back from Glen trool on our first visit to that area. Found it very interesting and been to the area a couple of times since. Nice place that part of Scotland.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy