Author Topic: Anyone still on Windows XP?  (Read 2990 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Anyone still on Windows XP?
« on: 20:58:21, 17/05/19 »
It is not walking I know but we are all IT users.  If you are still on XP this may be of interest
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48295227
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Anyone still on Windows XP?
« Reply #1 on: 21:17:20, 17/05/19 »
Nope.  An Amiga and a Windows 10 machine in my study.  A Windows 98 machine tucked behind my favourite arm chair in the lounge, for running good old dos things on, when the mood takes me.  It runs explorer 6 and this forum still works perfectly on it.  Almost every thing I do from home is via either my tablet or my phone though. 
« Last Edit: 21:20:22, 17/05/19 by BuzyG »

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:54:45, 18/05/19 »
Windows XP was without doubt, the most stable and user friendly PC operating system to come out of the Microsoft company.

Vista had too many glitches, and Windows 7 & 10, were just gimmicky.

In my heyday of using a PC for my company in SouthWales, XP was the operating software of choice, simply because of its excellent stability, and all round great support by Microsoft.

It just goes to show why they are now updating the old XP software for a newer owner, it was simply the best PC operating system, and should never really have been replaced.

There was a thought that updating an old operating system, was what customers wanted, to make use of more advanced technology, how wrong they were.

Even when Vista and Windows 7 had breathed their last, the majority of businesses and companies were still on XP,  IT WAS THAT GOOD.

Simply  because it was and still is the best PC operating software offered by Microsoft.
« Last Edit: 17:58:49, 18/05/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:48:05, 18/05/19 »
You clearly have different experiences to mine, I found Win7 was far better than XP, Win10 you can keep though  O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:03:59, 19/05/19 »
I can fully understand why you feel that way, but the thing that always impressed me about Windows XP, was the availability of drivers to successfully run aftermarket programmes, or bits of software written specially for unique company products.

A company that sold a tailormade piece of software for their electrical product, wanted a stable and effective operating system to run it on.

I can remember years ago, customers ringing up my office phone number, pulling out their hair, every time Microsoft introduced a new Software.

With each new software introduction, Vista , Windows 7 & 10, there was a very big chance that a companies software would not work on it, and any thought of downloading any new drivers was out of the question.

This was probably the main reason companies continually used Windows XP, way beyond the release of Windows !0.

It worked well, it was rock steady in accepting just about any bit of company software you could throw at it.

This is something that the average home user never saw or realised, it was just a rather good Microsoft product, that ran well, and had incredible support from every company that wrote software to run on it.

You downloaded your driver of choice, and it was rare that that bit of software crashed or was rejected.

It was Microsofts greatest success, and its no wonder they have been cohered into updating it, after putting it to sleep in 2014
« Last Edit: 15:09:49, 19/05/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:58:25, 20/05/19 »
No idea. My old lappy is still on whatever it was when I bought it, 9/10 yrs ago.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:17:25, 20/05/19 »
I moved from XP, to 7, then to 10. Never really had a problem, just irritants with all of them from time to time, e.g. blue screens. What I've never understood is why would anyone prefer one over the other? I obviously don't understand how each one has a difference from each other and I can't say I've really noticed to the point where I would say "I like this one, but not that one" If I had a gripe with Win 10 it would be, why so many updates?

and101

« Reply #7 on: 13:00:33, 20/05/19 »
I dropped Windows after XP (which I thought was the most user friendly although not 100% stable but few OS's are) and went to dual booting Linux/MacOS on my laptop and running Mac for my home office for everything I need to do. Even run Ubuntu as a media server for the home. Never looked back since. Horses for courses though.

dank86

« Reply #8 on: 18:30:10, 20/05/19 »
This will be a bit out there but I had a more stable system on vista than XP! I never had an issue with it yet everyone seemed to get bsod with it! I only ever had one that I caused!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:28:20, 20/05/19 »
My son was the same, never had a problem Vista. He only changed because I nagged him.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:26:02, 20/05/19 »
Hate windows10 and office 2016, I only have it because I need it for work.  Bane of my working life for the past few months.  Full of bugs, even by Microsoft's low standards it is rubbish.  I would switch back to either windows 7 or XP, in a heartbeat, but of course that can not ever happen as Microsoft simply won't support them.  Over a barrel, comes to mind.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:28:41, 20/05/19 »
'Full of bugs?' How would I recognise one? Except for the odd hiccup, my Win 10 seems to work well.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:48:55, 21/05/19 »
'Full of bugs?' How would I recognise one? Except for the odd hiccup, my Win 10 seems to work well.
There are a number of well documented bugs with office 2016, running on Widows 10.  Unfortunately Two of them are causing Access databases accross the planet to crash.  With one of my databases I went from no crashes in 15 years to three or four a day.  I spent two weeks trawling through 11000 lines of code.  After Microsoft told us if you run it as an executable rather than interpreted, it won't crash.  I did find and correct 5 minor errors in my coding. However the fully compiled executable file crashes just as the interpreted code did.  Microsoft then put out another statement saying basically.  Ok we finaly admit there is a real deap routed  problem here, try this botch up temporary fix instead, while we continue to spend our customers hard earned cash, trying to find a real solution.

Rant over, but you did ask.  :-X
« Last Edit: 00:52:41, 21/05/19 by BuzyG »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:36:27, 21/05/19 »
I did ask, thanks for or your reply but I have to admit I am still none the wiser. My PC needs are not that complex, perhaps that's why I have little or no problems?

Access as a word doesn't seem to mean anything to me. I've seen the word of course but I have never tried to use it.

Anyway I hope you are able to improve or solve your difficulties. Makes realise how little I know about such matters.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:42:17, 21/05/19 »
I use Apache not had any problems with it and it's free. It reads and converts access documents.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy