Author Topic: The Way of St. James Camino (Pilgrimage)  (Read 4594 times)

peterjohn42

The Way of St. James Camino (Pilgrimage)
« on: 21:30:00, 16/02/19 »
Hi guys,

I am looking to walk the Way of St.James walk later this year or maybe early next year, i am a single walker and even though i have done this walk a few years ago i was with a friend, this time i would be on my own and even though there is lots of walkers setting off daily i would feel nervous planning this on my own.

I was wondering if there was other walkers out there who would like to tattle this walk but are holding back because they are solo walkers, the walk is around 500 miles long and i plan to take 6 weeks to complete, around 12 miles per day.

The thing i like about this walk, accommodation is plentiful and cheap if you avoid summer months and has NO styles along its length.

If this is walk is something you are interested in doing then lets do it, please get back to me.

Peter.

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: The Way of St. James Camino (Pilgrimage)
« Reply #1 on: 22:23:41, 16/02/19 »
I am setting off on 27th April, by myself, to complete it over 5 weeks - slower than I would normally walk. I am hoping for a bit of warm weather so I am taking it easy this time and looking to slow myself down and enjoy the experience and the atmosphere although I am not religious.  I normally treat walking LDPs as a physical challenge as well as enjoying the countryside.  I am always happy with my own company but I am sure that from reading peoples account of this walk/pilgrimage you will meet up with lots of others and the hard part will probably to walk alone! 
As far as planning is concerned the Camino forum will help:-
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/
I am flying with Ryanair (I HOPE!) from Stansted to Biarritz and then getting a shared taxi (the taxi company arrange to put walkers together to save on costs).  I am using:-
https://www.expressbourricot.com/
You can get a bus from Biarritz airport and then a train to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port but by sharing with 3 others it is costing 21 euros (it would be 84 euros if you didn't share) or even less if they can find more individuals that want a lift. I am staying in auberges rather than the hostel accommodation.  The return flight from Santiago to Stansted again with Ryanair.  Happy to let you have more details if you wish. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:11:29, 17/02/19 »
I am planning another jaunt across the Camino Frances next year probably starting mid March. I will be walking from Bayonne and either walking the Voie de la Nive to St Jean Pied de Port or the Camino Baztan directly to Pamplona, thus adding to the walk by a few days. I like walking on my own because I tend to either wander about to look  at things or I get my head down and (slowly)stride on.
Also I prefer private hostals or pensiones as I do need a good sleep and find the bad manners regarding noise grind a bit, though I do use them when I feel not too tired and sometimes the company can be good.
« Last Edit: 18:36:29, 17/02/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

peterjohn42

« Reply #3 on: 17:12:51, 17/02/19 »
Hi harland,

Thank you for your reply, especially the part about the shared taxi from Bairritz to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, saves all the worry of getting to the start of the walk.

I am wondering if you have booked a return flight or if you plan to do that along the way, last time i booked my return flight from Santiago and i felt this put me under some pressure to keep on schedule.

I know i should not be apprehensive about walking on my own on the Camino, i have done the Pennine Way twice, Coast to Coast twice and the Offa's dyke walk all on my own in the past and managed ok, i just worry about something going wrong.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:56:45, 17/02/19 »
All booked, cheap train ticket to Stansted, flight, taxi to SJPdP, accommodation all the way to Santiago, taxi to airport and flight home -just need to book the train home when the cheap tickets come on sale. What could go wrong! :D :D

peterjohn42

« Reply #5 on: 18:06:06, 17/02/19 »
How have you booked your accommodation, i found that most albergue's would not take advanced bookings, i like the idea of booking my accommodation in advance, takes the worry away.

There is a regular local bus service from Santiago to the airport, i used it last time with no problems.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:19:50, 17/02/19 »
I got it booked through a tour company - didn't want the hassle of trying to book it direct (can't speak French or Spanish!) but I wanted the knowledge that I could get my head down for the night and my wife would also know where to find me if necessary.  I have a morning flight home and again I wanted the knowledge that all was OK so got that booked as well.  Totally different to when I walked the SWCP when I didn't book any accommodation in advance apart from the 1st day and, from memory, Clovelly as I was told that a B&B may be difficult to find - however I carried a tent all the way if I couldn't find accommodation.

peterjohn42

« Reply #7 on: 18:38:44, 17/02/19 »
OK, thanks for the info, some thing i will look into myself.

I had an operation on my left shoulder 5 weeks ago so still healing so carrying a 10kg rucksack 500 miles is a no no at the minute but i am getting stronger day by day so i am thinking that the earliest for me to set of will be September time.

Silly question, have you watched a film called "The Way", it is filmed along the Camino path, worth a watch.

Happy walking and hope to hear about your trek as you go along.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:47:33, 17/02/19 »
Yes I have seen "The Way" but after I decided to do the walk - for me it is a walk rather than a pilgrimage.  Yes worth a watch, for the scenery if nothing else.  Unusually for me I am actually doing some training for this walk - I usually just go and I believe that I walk my body into a walking fitness in 2/3 days but at 71 I thought that I should prepare this time.

peterjohn42

« Reply #9 on: 19:09:29, 17/02/19 »
The first day is by far the hardest day of the walk, it is up, then up some more, round a corner and surprise, up again, it is a long hard day but remember, once over the Pyrenees mountains it is much easier.

Also remember the weather on the Pyrenees is much colder, we had lots of snow and ice to cope with in early April.

I never really trained for the walk when i did it for the first time and i found my fitness increase over the first few days.

I admire you walking the camino at your age, it is a great experience, one i am looking forward to doing again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:35:17, 17/02/19 »
Last year I walked from Roncevalles to St Jean Pied de Port (about 28km) so I can testify that the Camino hiking route FROM St Jean Pied du Port towards Spain is UP for many a mile! When I did it. it was blistering hot so make sure you have sufficient water! There is a Refuge about 10km en route where you could refill, but the next water point (a press tap in a stone) is 11km after that, the next one I believe is at Roncevalles.

I also walked the Camino route from Le Puy en Velay to Figeac in France a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. Loads of hikers who were going my way were intent on doing it all, both France and Spain! Whilst the rest of the hikers carried on to St Jean Pied du Port, I turned off on the GR4 (or was it 6?) to Rocamadour, and finished at Bergerac. That hike took me three weeks.

I flew into Biaritz last year, nice airport and I stolled to the train station to catch the train to Hendaye on the Spanish border as I was hiking a section of the Spanish GR11. I was told that you can also catch a bus direct to St Jean Pied du Port from the airport.

Enjoy your walk however you plan do it.

peterjohn42

« Reply #11 on: 19:48:20, 17/02/19 »
Thanks for that information gunwharfman.

Did you walk on your own when doing the walks you mention?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:16:37, 17/02/19 »
Yes, I always walk on my own. I discovered early in my 'hiking career' that if I'm walking with others they will either walk faster or slower than me, which I did not enjoy. I camp and almost without fail I'm up and doing and away soon after dawn and when I walked once with a couple who were staying in B & Bs it was a disaster. They obviously, would got up, showered and had their B & B breakfast and did not actually start to walk until after 8.00 or later. In the meantime I could be two hours ahead. It just didn't work for me.

Walking alone for me is also part of the walking challenge. I don't cook en route, I just like to wander from pub to pub, restaurant to restaurant, eating and drinking as I go and I like to meet new people. Walking alone makes me seek out all sorts of human company, which I do at the end of each walking day.

peterjohn42

« Reply #13 on: 20:25:27, 17/02/19 »
wow, very well put gunwharfman, i need to just fly out and start walking the Camino, the worst is that i hate being on my own and can fly home again, i know i am over thinking things but by listening to you guys on this forum makes me realise i can do it, many single people walk the camino every year and have a great time, thanks for your input.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:32:43, 17/02/19 »
wow, very well put gunwharfman, i need to just fly out and start walking the Camino, the worst is that i hate being on my own and can fly home again, i know i am over thinking things but by listening to you guys on this forum makes me realise i can do it, many single people walk the camino every year and have a great time, thanks for your input.
The thing is you are never truly alone on the Camino Frances so many people from all over the world are walking it.People form spontaneous camino families who help each other out over the route.
You don't necessarily  walk with them all the time but you bump into each other in cafes and hostels along the way. The advised camino forum has a calendar in where you can notify others of your intended start day and you will probably be contacted by others starting the same day, long before your bag is packed.I also can say from experience that Bourricot offer a great service.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy