Author Topic: HI-TEC ALTITUDE PRO RGS WATERPROOF MEN'S HIKING BOOTS  (Read 1289 times)

BeeJay 2

Hi all,

My faithful 3yr old Hi-tec boots are almost done. My problem are the heels wearing away & so I've always fitted cast metal heel tags, if I didn't, I reckon I'd go through boots very quickly. Even these tags don't last long, so I'm fitting new ones fairly regularly.
I walk with a group twice a week, usually each walk is 8-10 mls, I want to stay with the Altitude as they are so comfy, but the softish heels are a problem. Any suggestions for the heel erosion problem (no, I'm not a 20st giant) or even a more robust boot, would be appreciated.

Cheers

BeeJay.
BeeJay

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: HI-TEC ALTITUDE PRO RGS WATERPROOF MEN'S HIKING BOOTS
« Reply #1 on: 11:14:21, 21/08/19 »
If you're walking 20 miles a week/1000 miles a year and you've had them for 3 years/3000 miles I personally think you've had more than your money's worth out of what is a budget level boot. Most people would only expect to get 1000-1500 miles out of a pair of boots possibly even less before either resoling or replacing them.

There's not much you can do extend the life of that boot because of the inbuilt rolling gait system and in particular the upswept design at the back of the heel. If they had more of a blocky heel a cobbler would possibly be able cut out the backmost section and replace it as the heel wore down.

Judging by the limited number of retailers selling this particular model boot it looks to be possibly end of line so if you're deadset on buying the same boot again grab them while they're still available and also consider buying another spare pair to put away.

Spending more money on a more upmarket brand would not necessarily guarantee that they would last any longer.

BeeJay 2

« Reply #2 on: 15:32:40, 21/08/19 »
Hi Kinkyboots & thanks for your reply. You're dead right of course,  O0  I have had my money's worth, but I don't think £130 (present price on  most online outlets inc Hi-Tec) is cheap. But I take your point, buying more expensive ones, in my heavy footed gait would not be a solution. So Altitude it is & I'll still enjoy the carpet slipper comfort whilst keeping with the heel tags.

Cheers

BeeJay

BeeJay

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:25:16, 21/08/19 »
Mrs Ninthace is very heavy on boot heels, eating up the rear outside edge, especially on the left foot.  Her Altberg Fremingtons have covered over 2300 miles, having been resoled at around the 1600 mile point.  I reckon they should last to around 3000 miles before the uppers fail (the leather was reshaped to accommodate her left foot).  The price of a resole was about £50, something you can do with a better quality boot that radically reduces the price per mile.
Solvitur Ambulando

BeeJay 2

« Reply #4 on: 15:59:02, 25/08/19 »
Hi again. Just won & collected a cracking deal on flea-bay. Got the Hi-Tec boots I've been after, (subject line)brand new & tagged & less than ½ Hi-Tec' price. Just happened to wander onto the site, as you do.

But I'm damned if I can remember if I should apply leather preserver (Grangers G wax, Leather Genie Balsam or suchlike) before wearing 'em for the first time. I realise they are manufacturer treated, but maybe I should.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

BeeJay

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:42:27, 25/08/19 »
You won't go far wrong if you follow the info/recommendations contained in this guide https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/walking-boots-care-guide/

Grangers G-Wax will be fine for the first application on the leather areas and for ongoing use.

If you want to get some of the high oil content wax mentioned for applying to the the flex points buy either of the following
Cherry Blossom Waxed Leather Oil @ £3.99 + £0.99 delivery https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cherry-Blossom-Premium-Shoe-Care-Product-Waxed-Leather-Oil-100ml-All-Colours/173971776355
Leder Gris Xtreme Clear Wax 80g @ £5.00 with free delivery https://www.odintactical.co.uk/leder-gris-boot-wax-clear

I would suggest using something like Nikwax Fabric and Leather Reproofer Spray on the non leather areas.

The main thing is that you put some waterprproofing protection on.

« Last Edit: 18:59:37, 25/08/19 by kinkyboots »

BeeJay 2

« Reply #6 on: 19:29:31, 25/08/19 »
Hi kinkyboots. Thanks for the advice & links, will follow up.
BeeJay

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy