Author Topic: ten tors  (Read 4050 times)

evorover

ten tors
« on: 16:11:06, 21/01/08 »
hi, after some advice from the experts!

My daughter (14.5) dipped out of a ten tors training day yesterday after complaining of pain just above the ankle and in the calf. I think it is the big serious walking boots we bought her. they would do a marine proud! have been looking at more lightwiehg toptions to help her out and saw Targhee 11 at taunton leisure which seems good. Do you know if it will be up to the job of ten tors?

here is a link to the boots i am looking at any help will be appreciated either here or to my email address.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/products/targhee-11--womens-/909/ [nofollow]

thanks

muymalestado

Re: ten tors
« Reply #1 on: 19:49:16, 21/01/08 »
Welcome evorover.

Question might be -  did the large mass of the boots used cause the stress?

Are you not opting with the Targhee for a complete lack of ankle support?  In the world of 'trainer boots' there is now a complete spectrum to look through, from quite low profile to boot-like offerings, all with foam/hard rubber soles and lightweight overall construction.

The Targhee shown looks nice, if that matters, and does not mention water-proofness, if that matters, seems to have good sole attributes.

We here have decided to ditch water repellancy for quick drying, and that's for use in Scotland.  But we did assure ourselves that lack of ankle support would not cripple us, and thus now normally choose lightweights.
I think this next one will be the top ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:56:46, 21/01/08 »
I saw a kit list for Ten Tors and it said that boots should provide ankle support and have a vibram type sole.  If thats the case, then trainer-type lightweight shoes wouldnt be acceptable, I would have thought. I'd check with the Ten Tors organisers and/or your team manager before splashing out if I were you - there's a website.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

evorover

« Reply #3 on: 23:44:59, 21/01/08 »
Thank you both!

yes I saw the kit list, my daughters' school is, how can I put it? very efficient.

I think the pain etc was caused by the very heavy boots and so am going for lightweight as a replacement. I shall think about the ankle support issue too. Judging by the weather now and on the last few ten tors I reckon the 'quick dry' over waterproof option is likely to be best.

Thanks again!

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:09:54, 23/01/08 »
Regarding weight:  providing the boots give adequate support to the foot and ankle, and providing the sole of the foot is protected from impact strike with the ground, particularly stony surfaces, light weight is best.  Every extra ounce of boot is extra weight to be lifted by the leg at every step, which increases tiredness.

Regarding waterproof lightweights:  I bought a pair of waterproof suede-and-nylon boots for general summer walking.  I didn't specifically want waterproof ones, but these were available and the price was right.  I had previously read in walking magazines that waterproof boots are hotter to wear, and with these boots I can confirm this is true.  If I wear them in summer with ordinary sports socks on my feet, when I take the boots off, you can almost wring the socks out.  It was never that bad with their predecessors (or the ones before that, or the ones before that).
The real joke is, they are NOT waterproof, not by any stretch of the imagination, they let almost as much water in as a pair of sandals haha.

So, for serious walking, in either wet weather or in rough wet terrain, I prefer to use Seal Skinz waterproof socks, but they are a bit pricey at around £22 and in your case not worth the extra cost if they're not going to be used much in the future (I presume you're having to pay for all your daughter's gear, like any dad!)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:23:39, 23/01/08 »
Ah yes, sealskinz - brill socks - and you can wear them for (ahem) quite a long time before they start to form their own opinions about your walking skills.... quite an advantage on long walks..

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

evorover

« Reply #6 on: 16:37:02, 23/01/08 »
Indeed I am paying for everything! But that's what parents are for isn't it?

I shall investigate the seal skins though, sure I saw some off the cornish coast last month might be able to save a few bob there!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy