Author Topic: GPS for hiking and driving - Separate or go for mobile phone option?  (Read 2761 times)

urbannomad

Hi all,

I'm considering buying my first GPS. I would like to use it for hiking as well as driving. I have Sony Ericsson's w960i (UIQ phone) and contemplating whether I should go for a separate mapping GPS or GPS receiver and software for my mobile phone.

Does any of you have any reccomendations re GPS receiver and software for the w960i? If so what are the pros/cons to the separate GPS?

Many thanks,

Tom

stevieboy378

Pro - you can use the GPS without having to use up phone battery power . . .

Con - 2 seperate pieces of equipment means double the chance of breakage, loss, dead batteries . . . .
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

dave-harris

• Veteran Member
Smart Phone - good for making phone calls, Use it as a GPS and the battery goes phumphhhh.

GPS will stand a good soaking in the rain. Not so the mobile phone = expensive mistake.

Just my opion. But a good GPS wins all the time with me
I walk to live

Skinny Walker

Snap.

I feel that it is far more sensible to buy a piece of outdoor kit for the outdoors, you can get a Garmin e-trex fairly cheap and mine has taken some serious soakings!!

When it comes to mobiles I have one phrase - "water Damage" - The mobile shops love to use it just before passing your broken phone back to you and telling you to shove off!!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

weekend-walker

Again I would have to agree , the battery life on your mobile will be used up very quickly using the GPS. Whereas a dedicated gps such as a garmin etrex is built for that purpose and is far more durable.

I got mine brand new from ebay, it cost me £40 including delivery from the US.

Hope this helps

macbloke

I've used a Garmin eTrex for years.  It only comes out of my pack in poor weather and probably isn't suitable for driving.  I don't have SatNav or GPS in the car but my wife does and I only use it for traffic alerts if we go on long journeys.

I got an iPhone recently and found an app for that which I used in the Lakes last weekend (just as a comparison) and that was pretty accurate (see the topic I just wrote here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,2034.0.html [nofollow]).

To be honest, though, I wouldn't use a phone as my fix-all solution for a GPS in the hills.  Phone batteries should be best conserved for emergencies and if you're using your mobile/GPS all the time to navigate with, I'd rethink your navigation strategy on the hills.  I don't think there is any substitute for good map and compass work with a GPS on standby as a tool to confirm your position.

Oh, and a GPS that's good in the car may not necessarily be good on the hills!

macbloke

twiglegs

Have a read of this thread i started, may be of some help.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/25458/V/8/SP/
You can get a free trial download here.
http://www.viewranger.com/
For 25 quid you can get mapping of all the national parks.
« Last Edit: 12:10:07, 20/10/08 by twiglegs »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy